Ski Drills

PMTS Forum

Ski Drills

Postby geezer skier » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:49 am

Heluva skier has some great ski drills posted on Youtube. I know that most of these have been demonstrated by Harald and/or Diana. But sometimes a different perspective helps. They are also presented in slow-motion-which I always find useful.
geezer skier

Re: Ski Drills

Postby geezer skier » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:52 am

Here is a link to one of them:
https://youtu.be/OtxYg-1F-Vg
geezer skier

Postby Vailsteve » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 pm

All of his videos are great! And check out his website— effectiveskier.com. Sign up —I did.

Greg’s penguin drill/video is off-the-charts cool. I saw the video a few weeks ago and said to myself “I have to try this!” Since I get to ski a lot, why not? I can only fall (which I did of course!).

The drill is exceedingly difficult. And me with 62 — pushing 63 — year old legs , does not make it any easier. To be blunt,this drill is WAY above my skill level! But the deep flexing and increased tipping, CB and CA required certainly helps in my “normal” skiing. I am getting my hips closer than ever before to the snow with this drill.

And, it is flat out fun to push yourself and fall flat on your butt. (Yes I can get easily amused). Now, if I were twenty years younger...sigh

Vailsteve
Last edited by Vailsteve on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vailsteve

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:27 am

It's great to hear you guys find the drills useful. I posted them mainly so that I have easy access when coaching, having a conversation, or even on a chairlift... they are short, load fast... no sound... no explanation. However, if you know Harald's material, they can be a convenient quick reference. That said, they are in no way a replacement of the detailed descriptions and progressions that HH and Diana have in their many videos. I intend to re-film a few that I am not happy with the outcome, so you may see some disappear and reappear over the coming weeks. We have also shot a little bit of video in the recent weeks, which will be posted before the end of the season... and hopefully will include some additional runs I'll get on film this weekend.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:17 am

Vailsteve wrote:All of his videos are great! And check out his website— effectiveskier.com. Sign up —I did.

Thanks Steve. To be clear Effective Skiing belongs to a friend of mine from Ontario who is a strong proponent of PMTS. I have one blog post there, but the rest of the content is not mine.

HeluvaSkier

Postby geezer skier » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:42 pm

Glad to see that youngster, Vailsteve, is having trouble with that drill . You should try it at age 78 :D :D :D
geezer skier

Postby CO_Steve » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:40 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:Thanks Steve. To be clear Effective Skiing belongs to a friend of mine from Ontario who is a strong proponent of PMTS. I have one blog post there, but the rest of the content is not mine.

That explains it. I was browsing through it yesterday and saw a drill where extension was mentioned in a non-negative way. Had me scratching my head.
CO_Steve

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:45 pm

CO_Steve wrote:That explains it. I was browsing through it yesterday and saw a drill where extension was mentioned in a non-negative way. Had me scratching my head.

Extension is for getting off the chairlift. :lol:

Even that can be made mostly passive if timed correctly.

HeluvaSkier

Postby Vailsteve » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:10 pm

Re effectiveskier.com. Thanks Greg for the update. I saw your photo and some of your effective skier videos on Youtube, so I mistakenly assumed you were part of it. And like co Steve pointed out, I have read some posts that were NOT PMTS, so I too was scratching my head a bit.

Still I do think there are some good tips in there. And, your Heluvaskier videos are awesome and well worth studying. Thanks for posting them!

Vailsteve.
Vailsteve

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:46 pm

geezer skier wrote:Glad to see that youngster, Vailsteve, is having trouble with that drill . You should try it at age 78 :D :D :D

To be clear, I only do the Penguin drill with well-established expert skiers who own all of the Essentials. Done incorrectly can result in reinforcing bad movement patterns, or worse, injury (wrist, hand, arm, shoulder, etc.). I have one skier right now who could perform this drill, and even that skier has a weak side turn where he would fail doing this drill (and that is a guy who can put his hip on the snow at will... at least in one direction).

For 'normal' skiers I use drills like Power Releases and the garlands that would lead up to a Power Release to explore extremes of tipping.

HeluvaSkier

Postby alpinebaseline » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:01 am

Hi Greg - thank you for putting these together, great to have some quick videos like you say to refer to on the chairlift.

I am familiar with most of them - are there any that you would say are more bread and butter for everyone and others that should only be used in specific circumstances/with expert skiers?
alpinebaseline

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:10 pm

alpinebaseline wrote:I am familiar with most of them - are there any that you would say are more bread and butter for everyone and others that should only be used in specific circumstances/with expert skiers?

The answer is yes, but I don't have that level of clarity on my YouTube channel. I tend to assign the drills different 'levels' such as green, blue, black. Some are obvious, like the Penguin and the Dolphin turn (not sure I've posted dolphins) are pretty much experts only drills... whereas some others like the Power Release can apply to a broader range of skill levels, but are generally reserved for more advanced skiers. A strong OFR/phantom, is a must-have in PMTS, so drills like that apply more universally.

HeluvaSkier

Postby njdiver85 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:10 pm

Just discovered HeuvaSkier's youtube videos thanks to this thread. I like the short videos. For someone who has read all the books, been to quite a few camps, and has watched all the HSS videos (multiple times), these still remain a great addition.
njdiver85

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:16 am

njdiver85 wrote:Just discovered HeuvaSkier's youtube videos thanks to this thread. I like the short videos. For someone who has read all the books, been to quite a few camps, and has watched all the HSS videos (multiple times), these still remain a great addition.

I think this is a good point to clarify, the drills on my channel are meant to be in addition to HSS materials, not a substitute for. I left audio and descriptions off all of the drills so that anyone who uses them really needs to already know what the drill is for and how to use it (e.g., study PMTS materials).

HeluvaSkier

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System