Carvers MA

Carvers MA

Postby RyanAllen » Sun May 03, 2020 3:29 pm

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RyanAllen

Re: Carvers MA

Postby noobSkier » Tue May 05, 2020 11:32 am

It's a good start, looks forced though. There is some juicing (pushing) to finish the turns. Basically there is not enough tipping for that radius so you are having to push for directional change. This also contributes to the scissoring. The temptation to push becomes greater as you lose speed so you will need to learn to choose a speed and radius thats appropriate for your current tipping ability. Keep it pure, tipping only is what we are going for. When you do self-MA look for smooth turns and transitions, if it looks jerky you are pushing.

Smooth as butter! :

ps. future MA posts belong in the MA section.
noobSkier

Postby RyanAllen » Wed May 06, 2020 5:57 am

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby noobSkier » Wed May 06, 2020 11:12 am

Sorry to hear about your injury...get well soon. That hose clamp is definitely a hazard if its not on just right, I have lost the carver more than once. In the end I just put of bunch of screws into the toe lug to prevent the clamp from slipping off.
noobSkier

Postby Robert0325 » Wed May 06, 2020 2:19 pm

Is there any reason why the design couldn't be adapted to use regular bindings? I'm planning to make my own and have a spare pair of bindings so thought I'd use those. I realize it will make the skates a bit longer fore and aft to accommodate but i don't really see that as a major issue, I'll still keep the wheels at the same pitches. This would at least prevent the binding coming off which you both seem to have had issues with?

Hope the injury heels quickly Ryan....
Robert0325

Postby skijim13 » Thu May 07, 2020 3:33 am

Can you provide me with the part number for the wheels you got from the supplier listed on the parts list. I went on the website for the wheels and the number did not come up. Working on building two pairs this spring.
skijim13

Postby RyanAllen » Thu May 07, 2020 5:09 am

RyanAllen

Postby RyanAllen » Sat May 09, 2020 5:28 am

RyanAllen

Postby HeluvaSkier » Sat May 09, 2020 8:13 am

Do Ski Blade / Ski Board, non-releasable bindings not work for this application?
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby skijim13 » Tue May 19, 2020 8:46 am

Thanks for the information
skijim13

Postby ErikCO » Wed May 20, 2020 9:04 am

I would think that the hardest part of mounting either ski blade bindings (does anyone have a source for them as they sound like the best option) or regular bindings would be finding the right kind of hardware for the actual mounting. Obviously, the screws that are typically used for mounting to skis are not a good idea. And since it looks like the frame is made from aluminum, I would be hesitant to tap/thread the aluminum without someone with an engineering background running some calculations to make sure the metal would support the force. The solution I would lean toward would be nut/bolt/lock washer, but finding a bolt that both fits down in binding holes and can be easily tightened (a lot of bolts of that size have hex heads that would be hard to hold still while tightening) could take a bit of work.
ErikCO

Postby RyanAllen » Wed May 20, 2020 12:57 pm

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby Marc » Wed May 20, 2020 1:26 pm

ErikCO wrote:ski blade bindings (does anyone have a source for them as they sound like the best option)

I bought a pair from https://www.grasski.net/en/store/spare-parts/binding but I live in EU...

Any ideas how to mount them?

Edit: maybe split this thread into a MA and a Gear thread?!
Marc

Postby Robert0325 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:13 pm

The main problem of fitting a ski binding I've realised is not the method of fixing but that that you end up with a much higher mounting position. Even with with a none system binding you end up being at least another 10mm off the ground and you are already very much higher off the ground than with normal skis of course. Add to that the mounting holes on ski bindings straddle the square tube and the bolts come down over the wheels so you have to add a bit of height for clearing the screws. probably a 5mm thick plate with tapped holes will be needed to fix onto the square tube first to then tap holes for screws to secure the bindings. So I think I worked out with the Marker Squire bindings that I was thinking of using I would be about 12mm (1/2") higher off the ground than with the Harb design.
Robert0325

Postby noobSkier » Wed May 20, 2020 3:20 pm

If anyone is interested, I am designing a set of fully 3-d printable cavers based on the comp model with an integrated binding solution. Unfortunately this would be limited to rigs capable of printing high temperature engineering grade materials so not super accessible. I am still waiting for my plastic to come in, but I have ran the model through some stress simulations and it holds up very well. I'll post the finished product when I'm done.
noobSkier

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video