MA Request 4 A Michigan Skier

MA Request 4 A Michigan Skier

Postby RyanAllen » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:04 am

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Re: MA Request 4 A Michigan Skier

Postby noobSkier » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:53 pm

You are already on your BTE before your lift&tip, which means the stance ski is active instead of passive like it should be. Luckily, it doesn't look too bad. Focus on transferring balance to the LTE, hold for a moment, tip the inside ski. Feels stupid to do this at first, but it's the only way to tame the stance ski.

The way you transfer balance is important too. Just lifting the tail won't cut it because chances are that ski is already too far forward rendering your tipping worthless. I had lots of difficulty with this at slow speeds until HH explained why lifting the tip (or at least trying to) activates the core and promotes balance.
noobSkier

Postby ErikCO » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:34 pm

From a gear standpoint, I believe the Magnum is a ski that most/all of the good skiers here do not recommend. (I have never skied them myself.) They are probably narrow enough to learn tipping but have a number of other undesirable characteristics. A quick forum search will bring up more info.
ErikCO

Postby RyanAllen » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:56 am

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby Max_501 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:15 am

RyanAllen wrote:Do you suppose tipping to my BTE first is related to my extending moves?

Extension and rotary block tipping. See the Tipping Muscles thread for more detail from HH.

RyanAllen wrote:But I'm leaning towards a pair of Blossom White Out's for 2019/2020 based on the forum posts.

The last thing you want is a wider ski right now. While the White Out is a great ski for advanced PMTS skiers it will not do you any favors while working on the PMTS fundamentals. You'd be better served with something like the Supershape iSpeed.
Max_501

Postby RyanAllen » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:23 am

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby Max_501 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:10 am

RyanAllen wrote:Should I just stick with my 70cm waist late model Magnums? Is a 170 too long for the short turn drills? I should probably just save my dough for a camp, and I do like the fact that it's super easy to shim the free flex bindings. Thanks!

See this: Head 07-08 Skis

170cm is a common size and should work for drills. However, generally speaking shorter is easier for mastering the drills. I used a 160cm and 165cm for many years, now I don't ski on anything shorter than a 170 (unless I'm taking a SL race ski out for some reason).
Max_501

Postby Erik » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:13 pm

Ryan-

When you make it to a PMTS camp, you will be spending most of you time learning, practicing, and doing videos on runs that are not that steep.

It appears that you were skiing on Hemlock. It might be helpful to post video for MA from a run that is not so steep. If you were one run over, on Victor, I think it would be a better pitch for doing MA. I was at Boyne last week, and the snow was consistently too soft for my taste on Victor, so I can appreciate if you chose not to ski on Victor for that reason. Victor had the pitch I wanted to ski for practice, but Stein's Mambo/Thunder had beautiful snow, although there is less consistent pitch and fall line there. North Boyne and Express both had good snow last week, and I think the section just off the Mountain Express lift, below the NASTAR hut might be the best snow quality and terrain for doing an MA video.

When it starts to get slushy, a warm temperature wax helps. In spring conditions, I take along a stick of Dominator Butter rub-on wax to put on the skis. Works well, but doesn't last long. If you have an extra pair of skis to use as Spring skis, you could have the base grind done with an open structure, which makes the wet snow less grabby.
Erik

Postby RyanAllen » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:22 pm

RyanAllen

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:43 pm

Ryan,
Put your sponge on a rope and tie it to a belt loop!
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Erik » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:24 am

Is the pelvis included in the CB/CA movement? I don't know what that means

Ryan,
There is a lot of information available that shows this visually, and explains progressions on how to develop CB/CA including the pelvis/hip. You will not get the full benefit of CB and CA if your movement does not fully include the hip. Sufficient movement of the pelvis does not happen passively with movement of the upper body.

See the following videos from Harb Ski Systems:
CA & CB
- Essentials ~ The Indoor Introduction (great demonstrations of the movement of the pelvis using a skeleton, and exercises to focus on the pelvis)
- Essentials: Upper Body (including use of hip-o-meter for feedback of the position of the hips)
- Dryland Slantboard Series (segment 7 on CB and segment 8 on CA)
CB
- Using the Pelvis in Counterbalancing
- Dryland for Counterbalance (includes overall exercises for core strength and flexibility for CB, including the pelvis)
CA
- Angry Mother 1 & 2 (use of hands on hips in "Angry Mother" posture for immediate feedback of CA, including progression to no-swing pole plant)
Erik

Postby RyanAllen » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:53 pm

RyanAllen

Postby h.harb » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:59 pm

I'm sorry but this isn't PMTS skiing. It is, however, skiing that you would produce from PSIA instruction or training.

PSIA movements shown here.

-Swinging pole plant to the tip of the ski. Causes squaring up.
-This squares you up so you have to extend and push out of the arc.
-No release because there is no CA at the end of the turn. There is hip squaring up.
-there is a push because there is no flexing to release. No transfer to the LTE.

PMTS skiing shows:
PMTS has CA and it is held during the flexing to release. Do not use a pole plant for the next 6 months of skiing.
PMTS has flexing and a balance transfer to the LTE in transition.

Ski on one ski, learn to use all 4 edges and balance on all 4 edges. Pick up the whole ski during the arc. These are all basic PMTS movement skills. They are all explained, shown and spelled out in my books and videos. basic
h.harb

Postby RyanAllen » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:36 pm

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RyanAllen

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:04 pm

Ryan,
Don't get too down on yourself. Everyone has to start somewhere. Acknowledgment of where you're at and where you're trying to get to is the first step. I'd encourage you to read Essentials as soon as you can. While not as direct or as thorough as Books 1 and 2, Essentials is a simple framework, that boxes you in on the movements you should be making, and immediately makes all of the materials in books 1 and 2 much more clear. Also, if I recall from some other posts, you're coaching... I'd recommend studying the instructor manual in the off season, along with doing the dry-land exercises. Lastly, get to Dumont for a proper boot fitting if you can make the trip. You absolutely won't regret it and you'll learn A LOT in the process.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video