MA from Luke

Re: MA from Luke

Postby lukezhang » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:23 am

Thank for the reply Max. I was doing my regular brush short turns. Thus put down inside ski to shorten radius. I will find chance to shoot some standard slow one foot release. May be some carved short turns.
lukezhang

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:28 am

lukezhang wrote:I will find chance to shoot some standard slow one foot release.

One AND Two footed releases.

Also, the Super phantom with touch-tilt helps with learning to balance on the LTE before the release. Very valuable exercise but challenging to get right.
Max_501

Postby lukezhang » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:17 pm

Phantom move with touch tilt

Will get a video of two foot release late.
lukezhang

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:45 pm

Try again with tighter turns.
Max_501

Postby lukezhang » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:54 pm

With tighter turns it's hard to see little toe edge is holding before tilt. Do you have a sample video showing how long you want to see little toe edge is holding?
lukezhang

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:13 pm

Just make tight slow turns. Follow these directions.

As in a regular super phantom, transfer balance to LTE of the uphill ski. Then, touch the inside edge of the lifted, dowhnill ski to the inside ankle rivet of the stance boot ("inside foot arch touches outside foot ankle"). Keep it touching while tipping the free foot further toward its LTE. Don't let that free foot touch the snow until the very end of the turn. VERY IMPORTANT STEP! At the end of the turn, when the free foot touches the snow on its LTE, immediately pick up the new free foot, and touch-tilt the new stance boot.
Max_501

Postby RRT » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:34 pm

lukezhang wrote:Do you have a sample video showing how long you want to see little toe edge is holding?

Here you go: Work on the drill in both videos, "early phantom" and on "a start to carving," on a green slope and go very, very slowly as shown in the videos. The second drill is generally harder to do than the first but both require lots of practice time as in manhy sessions of work in order to get correct. Do not make the mistake of thinking you have it down without getting a video check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCyRgJ3k1cU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUAOFTB4OBc
RRT

Postby Max_501 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:26 pm

lukezhang wrote:I was doing my regular brush short turns. Thus put down inside ski to shorten radius.

I'm not familiar with the concept of putting the inside ski down to shorten the radius. Where did you learn this?
Max_501

Postby lukezhang » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:34 pm

I think it might be from this forum but I cannot remember which topic it was. The idea is inside ski acts as an anker and outside ski as dragger. My practice shows very effective speed control on black slope. I used it all the time on off groomers and moguls.

Today I got a video of one foot release on black slope
lukezhang

Postby Max_501 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:03 pm

lukezhang wrote:I think it might be from this forum but I cannot remember which topic it was. The idea is inside ski acts as an anker and outside ski as dragger. My practice shows very effective speed control on black slope. I used it all the time on off groomers and moguls.

That is a not a PMTS concept.

lukezhang wrote:Today I got a video of one foot release on black slope

Too fast. Get video of SLOW one and two foot releases on a beginner run. Video of this exercise would be useful too.

As in a regular super phantom, transfer balance to LTE of the uphill ski. Then, touch the inside edge of the lifted, dowhnill ski to the inside ankle rivet of the stance boot ("inside foot arch touches outside foot ankle"). Keep it touching while tipping the free foot further toward its LTE. Don't let that free foot touch the snow until the very end of the turn. VERY IMPORTANT STEP! At the end of the turn, when the free foot touches the snow on its LTE, immediately pick up the new free foot, and touch-tilt the new stance boot.
Max_501

Postby lukezhang » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:59 am

Yes, I know :D . Just arrived Jackson Hole. l just wanted to compare it with my version of two foot release on the groomed black slope. Noticed a lot more pop during release but with longer turns and fast speed. I am not convinced that one foot release is the best way to deal with black moguls. Max, do you have any video other than Harald and Diana skiing zipline black moguls using PMTS?

Here's my daughter skiing black moguls

I will video some slow practice runs later.
lukezhang

Postby Max_501 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:28 am

lukezhang wrote:I am not convinced that one foot release is the best way to deal with black moguls. Max, do you have any video other than Harald and Diana skiing zipline black moguls using PMTS?

No one said the one footed release is the best way to ski moguls. For moguls we use one footed, two footed, and weighted releases.

For moguls Reilly has some of the best video I've seen.

To rip bumps like that you need all of the Essentials working perfectly when cranking short turns.

If you are serious about MA from video you need to capture from the front, side, and back so we can see all of the movements.

Taking video for MA:

Stand about half way down the run. This depends on length of run and amount of terrain you can see. Generally I try to split the visible filming distance so I can get an equal number of turns from the front and back. Video at least 5 turns of the front, keep filming as the skier passes the camera, and then film at least 5 turns from back, as the subject skis away. Use the zoom function and if your camera has that feature to keep the skier roughly the same size all the time. Pan smoothly as the subject passes the camera keeping the skier in frame so we can see a side view.

Like this:

Last edited by Max_501 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:36 am

lukezhang,

Max_501 is one of the most knowledgable coaches there is. You will get more out of your MA by letting go of any preconceived notions and heed his advice earnestly. Further reading:

http://www.pmts.org/pmtsforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2840
noobSkier

Postby lukezhang » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:09 pm

Max,

Thank you for your time and reply. Here is video on the phantom move again

I will feel like left turn isn't as solid as right turn. Need to practice it more.

I got a camcorder with only LED viewfinder which is not very good in bright sunshine. Do you all get camcorder with optical viewfinder?

Thanks,
Luke Zhang
lukezhang

Postby noobSkier » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:51 pm

Lukezhang,

There appears to be a tipping deficiency. You are putting the skis on edge by leaning into the turn instead of utilizing tipping movements. Notice the tails pivoting, straight lower-body, and lack of "O" frame; evident on both sides. I would suggest starting with the phantom garland:

noobSkier

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video