SkiMoose MA

SkiMoose MA

Postby SkiMoose » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:36 pm

Ok I think it's time I start an MA thread because I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on what I should work on and improve.
Coming off a back injury, I have mainly worked on brushed turns the last few weeks. I am having trouble transferring balance to the LTE without an extension. I can do it in carved turns (to some level), but the brushed turns are just not happening. All comments are welcome!

Last edited by SkiMoose on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SkiMoose

Re: SkiMoose MA

Postby ErikCO » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:32 pm

SkiMoose wrote:I am having trouble transferring balance to the LTE without an extension.

Why? And what drills have you tried to fix this? I'm sure that others who are much more qualified will chime in on this, but the issue of not flexing for weight transfer and into release is the most obvious thing that I see. Can you do it on a green run? How about some trials of a traverse across a slope starting on downhill BTE then flexing the downhill leg until you end up on the LTE? What I see, overall, is an extension in the transition with some rotary movements to get the skies into the fall line. Took the liberty of viewing your other video (of you doing carved turns). It is interesting as I would agree that you don't seem to have the same issue in transition on them. I will leave it to others to postulate as to the why.
ErikCO

Postby Max_501 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:06 am

What was your SMIM on the last day of camp?
Max_501

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:11 am

Hi SkiMoose,

I’m going to focus less on your MA (can do that in a separate post) in this post and put my ‘coach hat on’ and encourage you to continue down the path you are on. You have an opportunity to become, not just a good, but great skier at a relatively young age. From what I can tell, you're embracing it remarkably well—huge progress from where you were last spring. I did not discover PMTS (and take it seriously) until I was ~4-5 years older than you are now. When your racing career has ended (and they all do eventually) you’ll be left with a level of skiing that will make any mountain or terrain a playground for you—that’s the real value of what you’re doing—not just fast times in a course.

As you develop your skiing, remember to stay focused on what will make YOU a better skier. Make sure, as you are now, that you’re continuing to explore both ends of the performance spectrum—the high end and the low end—high speed SL/GS turns and the slow, tedious drills. Don’t be afraid to push the envelope with speed, pitch and snow quality… If there is a trail that is just slightly too steep for you to link SL turns—make that your new goal. Then move to something steeper, or a harder surface where the skis will run faster. Mix in moguls, powder, trees, etc. to continue to test your movements on more diverse terrain and aim for top-level performance across them all. When you fail (which will inevitably happen), go back to the basics (the tedious drills), push the range of motion and refine the timing of your movements and then take another crack at it.

There will be a lot of ‘noise’ around you from coaches and peers alike. You’ll see crappy coaching, hear bad advice, and probably be told you’re not headed in the right direction. Don’t pay attention to any of it and don’t try to correct it—always focus on being better than the turns you made yesterday.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby mardale » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:15 am

Nice skiing. Here's what I see:

Because of the extension, that's essentially pivot slips with no tipping, but with great CA, as far as I can tell. That's what I was thinking @noobskier should practice, to improve the same CA :)

You are starting to flex but just before releasing, you extend - sometimes more sometimes less. It's possible you have a lack of balance on one foot. Do you have custom footbeds?

The carving video from a month ago is very nice, but little tipping - could be the same lack of balance. Work on one footed balance and tipping there - the flexing to release must be accompanied by untipping, i.e. flattening the stance ski, which becomes tipping into the new turn. Repeat and exaggerate, until an o-frame is quite visible as you release. Superphantom helps with this too, i.e. transfer balance earlier to the old free pinkie.

The Keystone carving - it makes it easy to see that the turns are powered with the upper body, little tipping - watch your hips at the start of the new turn. That's your SMIM anyway I look at it...

Good skiing, though.
mardale

Postby Max_501 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:54 pm

SMIM is flexing to release. After that would be holding the flex while tipping to eliminate the heel push. You also have some interesting hip movements which you might be able to address with dryland exercises in front of a mirror. For many it is just a matter of learning how to move the pelvis around the femur. For me this was very hard at first but now it has become a natural movement.
Max_501

Postby SkiMoose » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:38 pm

HeluvaSkier:
Thanks so much for the response, I've been putting a ton of work into my skiing over the past year and a half, and it's really good to hear that you think I'm headed in the right direction. It's definitely tough to stay focused and trust myself when coaches with so much experience repeatedly tell me that I'm wrong. I have been told numerous times by my coaches to just trust them because they've been coaching for a long time, and many times by the end of the day I end up questioning myself and thinking that maybe they know what they are talking about. I've decided that once I'm back to race training I will not let them get inside my head. I have also been starting to think more about pushing it with speed, slope and snow conditions. At some point in HH's performance free skiing DVD, he says something similar to what you said, and it's something I have definitely been missing this year. I've skied over 30 days this year and I haven't been on anything steeper than a blue. I have just been doing drills almost nonstop everyday and not really free-skiing at all. I got on a GS course a few weeks ago, and the speeds just seemed so insanely fast that it was almost scary. I'll start trying to push myself more and maybe try some bumps :D . I really appreciate your comments, and I'll keep pushing to make myself better.

Max_501:
I haven't been to a camp (as much as I would love it), but I do agree that my SMIM is flexing to release. I have been trying to work on it, but it just isn't getting there. I can do it sometimes in individual turns to my left, but the right turn is not happening for me. I've emailed Diana and asked about possible heel lifts because it seems like I can't pull my inside foot back far enough to balance on it. That is my best guess at the moment. Could you also elaborate on what you see in my hip movements? I've done a bunch of slantboard exercises at home, and I would love to know what specifically I should work on.

Mardale:
Thanks for the reply. I do not have custom footbeds. I agree I need more of an O-frame in my carved turns, I think it will also help develop greater angles, and a faster transition. As for my brushed turns I can balance on my LTE more easily on my left than my right.

ErikCO:
I have done TFR to balance transfer on my LTE and garland releases with balance transfer. I can do it better on a green slope but there is still some extension.
SkiMoose

Postby mardale » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:28 pm

your right boot cuff looks a little strong, impairs LTE balance. if you have the means to, tip it in a little and retake video.
mardale

Postby Max_501 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:25 pm

mardale wrote:your right boot cuff looks a little strong, impairs LTE balance. if you have the means to, tip it in a little and retake video.

HSS did his boots and alignment so unless something has changed I would assume the cuffs are set correctly.
Last edited by Max_501 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max_501

Postby Max_501 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:35 pm

SkiMoose wrote:Could you also elaborate on what you see in my hip movements? I've done a bunch of slantboard exercises at home, and I would love to know what specifically I should work on.

You need to learn how to rotate the pelvis around the head of the femur so you can include the pelvis in CA and CB. It is not a natural movement for many of us but dryland practice can make a big difference.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:21 pm

Max_501, if you could put a number on it what degree of hip CA are we looking for? 90deg being pelvis parallel to feet.

edit: or rather what degree of hip CA must a black level PMTS skier achieve?
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:23 pm

noobSkier wrote:Max_501, if you could put a number on it what degree of hip CA are we looking for? 90deg being pelvis parallel to feet.

edit: or rather what degree of hip CA must a black level PMTS skier achieve?

Enough that we can see it in the vids. If you were at a camp and having trouble getting enough CA you might be given the task of exaggerating CA so you could see it at your lunch time video session.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:02 am

Max_501, last season you identified that the platform created by a locked edge was assisting my CA in edge-locked carving. SkiMoose's edge-locked carving is very impressive...could this also be a factor in his skiing? And secondly, from a black-level skier's perspective, are there different sensations or efforts in your CA when you ski brushed vs locked?
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:45 am

noobSkier wrote:Max_501, last season you identified that the platform created by a locked edge was assisting my CA in edge-locked carving. SkiMoose's edge-locked carving is very impressive...could this also be a factor in his skiing?

It's possible. I'd need to see some high quality video to compare.

noobSkier wrote:And secondly, from a black-level skier's perspective, are there different sensations or efforts in your CA when you ski brushed vs locked?

I don't feel a difference in sensation between brushed vs edge locked but as I tighten the turn I use more CA which requires a larger muscular effort from the core. The tightest turns I make will be brushed so I use more CA in those but its a function of radius rather than brushed vs edge locked.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:57 am

Understood. Thanks for sharing your perspective
noobSkier

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video