Next season skis

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: Next season skis

Postby jbotti » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:45 am

The Kastle MX 88 is more user friendly than the Monster 88, softer and easier to ski. I don't think there are a ton of great alternatives out there. I will get to ski on the Blossom Crosswind in December. I expect it to be like a wider version of the White Out. If so, it could be another solid, wider PMTS ski.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby alpinebaseline » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:51 pm

Have now purchased E-Original 170 & Monster 88 177. Thank you for your help, looking forward to improving my skills with them.
alpinebaseline

Postby dougtee » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:43 am

jbotti wrote:The Kastle MX 88 is more user friendly than the Monster 88, softer and easier to ski. I don't think there are a ton of great alternatives out there. I will get to ski on the Blossom Crosswind in December. I expect it to be like a wider version of the White Out. If so, it could be another solid, wider PMTS ski.

appreciate your wisdom as always! i wanted something a bit longer than the 170s i am currently on as a long torso short leg 6' and liked the 177cm of the monster 88 more than the 180cm of the mx 88s. demoing seems like an impossibility so probably have to just take a shot and hope.
dougtee

Postby jbotti » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:42 am

Probably as tough or tougher to demo, but the Blossom Crosswind comes in a 178cm length.

Blossom skis are being heavily promoted on Ski Talk, previously Pugski/epic. I think there will be more places to demo these skis this year and next assuming their US sales and distribution continue(s) to climb (which I expect). I have only skied the White Out, but from that we know that Blossom makes some great skis. With the right partner/s (for marketing and dist) they should make substantial inroads into the upper end US market (and by upper end I don't mean expensive, I mean the market for US consumers that actually know a good ski from a bad one).
jbotti

Postby GregM » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:35 pm

I have 2019 model year Monster 88 (graphene, red color) and those are not a good skis at all. Very light and super stiff with the bad flex pattern.
I have Zag Big (bought by reference on this forum) and those are super light rocker, 168cm length feels like 150 ski or shorter with all the effects jbotti described for Head Kore line. Not much fun either.
I got myself Blossoms Cross Wind for the next season.
GregM

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:31 am

jbotti wrote:With the right partner/s (for marketing and dist) they should make substantial inroads into the upper end US market (and by upper end I don't mean expensive, I mean the market for US consumers that actually know a good ski from a bad one).

The Blossom product is fantastic. In the U.S. I think the current distributor will struggle to actually get high volumes of skis into the country. On the Italy side, I'm not entirely sure their business model is designed to scale the Blossom brand significantly... As far as I'm aware, many skis are still made to order... a very boutique approach and likely why their skis are so good.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby dougtee » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:36 am

if i were to pull the trigger on a pair of these from premier skis is it pmts recommended to either spring for the upgraded VIST https://shop.premierskis.com/bindings/2 ... ystem.html

or to just buy the boards and have PRD 12s put on? thanks for everyones wealth of info!
dougtee

Postby jbotti » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:18 pm

Heluva is probably the better person to answer this as I don’t know the visit plate. The last thing you would want to do is stiffen these skis with a true race plate. For me the PRD plate/system is perfect.
jbotti

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:27 pm

VIST plates tend to feel heavy/clunky to me. I've owned and skied several over the years and while they can be good on race skis, they don't have qualities that are particularly ideal for all mountain skiing, and IMO, they are quite behind more modern race plate designs such as those from Marker, Atomic and Head/Fischer. The Speed Lock system is cool (I've skied them quite a lot), but I think for most skiers out there, a PRD setup is a better option. If a skier were a confirmed expert-level / black level PMTS skier and they were hell-bent to ski on a plated setup on a Blossom all mountain ski, I still wouldn't recommend VIST...

HeluvaSkier

Postby dougtee » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:51 am

always appreciate this wealth of information. think i will buy the skis and the prd 12s bindings separately and find a place to mount them for me.
dougtee

Postby dougtee » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:22 am

my blossom am85s arrived from premier skis and they are spectacular. one glance at them and it was straight to the slantboard.
dougtee

Postby AnI » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:14 pm

alpinebaseline wrote:I did ski the Movement Icon 95 a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

I can't see any mention of it on the forum so I somewhat disregarded buying.

14m turn radius (136-95-123), standard camber, with some tip rocker.

Would welcome anyone's thoughts from a PMTS perspective?

Harb Ski Systems used to carry Movement skis for at least one season some 10 years ago. I still have green Movement Jam from that time, and kept these skis in a good working order. Movement Jam were praised as very good midfat PMTS skis. I asked ones why HSS stopped carrying them, and the reason was that Movement did not show themselves as a reliable business partner. There were, and still are, very few dealers of Movement skis in the U.S., which explains why there is so little information about these skis. I have no information how good their newer generations of skis, though. But they definitely have the history of being an official PMTS ski, along with Head.
AnI

Postby alpinebaseline » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:46 pm

AnI wrote:
alpinebaseline wrote:I did ski the Movement Icon 95 a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

I can't see any mention of it on the forum so I somewhat disregarded buying.

14m turn radius (136-95-123), standard camber, with some tip rocker.

Would welcome anyone's thoughts from a PMTS perspective?

Harb Ski Systems used to carry Movement skis for at least one season some 10 years ago. I still have green Movement Jam from that time, and kept these skis in a good working order. Movement Jam were praised as very good midfat PMTS skis. I asked ones why HSS stopped carrying them, and the reason was that Movement did not show themselves as a reliable business partner. There were, and still are, very few dealers of Movement skis in the U.S., which explains why there is so little information about these skis. I have no information how good their newer generations of skis, though. But they definitely have the history of being an official PMTS ski, along with Head.

I certainly enjoyed the movements I skied on. Quite a few models available second hand on eBay in Europe so I might have to get a pair of the Jams.
alpinebaseline

Postby alpinebaseline » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:49 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:VIST plates tend to feel heavy/clunky to me. I've owned and skied several over the years and while they can be good on race skis, they don't have qualities that are particularly ideal for all mountain skiing, and IMO, they are quite behind more modern race plate designs such as those from Marker, Atomic and Head/Fischer. The Speed Lock system is cool (I've skied them quite a lot), but I think for most skiers out there, a PRD setup is a better option. If a skier were a confirmed expert-level / black level PMTS skier and they were hell-bent to ski on a plated setup on a Blossom all mountain ski, I still wouldn't recommend VIST...

What would be some sensible alternative bindings for PRD setup for none expert PMTS skier for Monster 88s?

I’ve tried in vain to source some but have not been able to find the plates for sale.

Local ski shop offered to fit Attack 13 - any thoughts on those or would another setup be better?

Cheers!
alpinebaseline

Postby HeluvaSkier » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:28 pm

Try Colorado Discount Skis for PR plates. HSS may also carry the plates without bindings... not sure about that though.

HeluvaSkier

PreviousNext

Return to Gear