MA Request for East Coast skier

Re: MA Request for East Coast skier

Postby davey » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:58 pm

h.harb wrote:Yes, it can be helped and I've coached numerous racers that made it to the World Cup with duck-footed stances. Of course, as I always say, "without a complete analysis of all the boot possibilities getting just enough information to be dangerous", that is not the way to go.

Helluvaskier has been doing well on his own, but he has studied, and with my advice, now for almost 15 years, it has worked out. Same with Reilly McGlashan, after I gave him advice in posts about 8 years ago, which made a huge difference, he came and took the Alignment course.

One trip to our shop can cut that time down to one session. I would start in a neutral boot like a head raptor, not a Fisher. Salomon and Dalbello are out. Lange and Nordica can be ok. Atomic is easy to work on but they have to fit well out of the box, or they are a fitting nightmare in the 150 race boot. All of this depends on the evaluation. The list of determining the boot for an individual is long. Do you have a rigid foot or a flexible foot, is it wide at the ankle bones or narrow and straight, how much range of motion does it have, is there low ankle tibial varum, high tib varum, is there tib torsion? It is really hard to figure all this on your own. Determining all this makes boot selection more relevant and successful. Each boot is different, last width, flex, forward lean, ramp, then there are binding choices, ramp, and delta. The variables are endless. So it's not an easy answer.

Harald, thank you for giving me hope! I wouldn't trust anyone but your shop to do my alignment. I will one day make it out there for sure.
davey

Postby davey » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:56 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:I think it is important to reiterate Harald's comment here. Out of the box, Fischer cuffs are strong (e.g. at neutral, they aren't very neutral), and their insert system, while a great solution, has minimal range of adjustment. Compare that with Lange/Rossi WC boots or Nordica WC boots, and you'll see that these brands (and Tecnica's WC boot and Dalbello's WC boot by extension) have more than 2x the cuff adjustability of Fischer boots out of the box. What's worse, is the SOMA stance in Fischer boots, causes cuff adjustment to be extra sensitive, requiring absolute precision, often outside of the available range of adjustment.

I did try the Fischer cuff insert sytem to match the cuff to my lower leg angle and like you said, the range was very small. When you say the cuffs are strong, do you mean that they are slanted outwards too much?

Thank for your input.
davey

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:55 pm

davey wrote:When you say the cuffs are strong, do you mean that they are slanted outwards too much?

Correct.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby davey » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:39 pm

I've been working hard on the essentials and tipping, as was suggested. I think the below video shows some improvement, but again the video unfortunately doesn't conform to the MA video standards. I still see some extension in my transition and I'm sure there are tons of other issues.

I'm also using my brand new Head Supershape e-Original(163 cm), which I absolutely love!

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMHHUkKzx9A
davey

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:41 pm

davey wrote:I still see some extension in my transition

I rate it as a little more than 'some'
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby davey » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:55 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:
davey wrote:I still see some extension in my transition

I rate it as a little more than 'some'

There more accurate term would be "excessive". Old habits indeed die hard. I notice that the steeper the trail, the more I'm standing up in transition. There might be a psychological factor in play where I feel the need to rush to crossover and change edges and extending feels like I'm falling down the hill faster, whereas in reality, my COM is just rising. I'll definitely need to focus on staying down.

As far as balancing on my LTE before the transition and lifting the old stance foot, I feel like I'm doing that but I still struggle with the super phantom and getting into an o-frame. It's possible my alignment is a factor here but not sure.

Thanks for the feedback.
davey

Postby ChrisV » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:45 pm

Can someone point Davey to the best drills to break bad habits? Zero-extension releases from a stationary start? Slow everything way down, and incorporate those releases into actual skiing? Garlands?
ChrisV

Postby RyanAllen » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:51 am

davey wrote: I notice that the steeper the trail, the more I'm standing up in transition. There might be a psychological factor in play where I feel the need to rush to crossover and change edges and extending feels like I'm falling down the hill faster, whereas in reality, my COM is just rising. I'll definitely need to focus on staying down.

I can relate to this. When I switched from Harb Carvers on 3 to 4% grades to snow skiing on 20 - 30% grades I started extending again. And to be fair, I think it is indeed a difficult thing to transfer balance from the old stance foot to the LTE/new stance foot, without pushing on the new stance foot. You might benefit from practicing on greens more so than blues.

davey wrote: As far as balancing on my LTE before the transition and lifting the old stance foot, I feel like I'm doing that but I still struggle with the super phantom and getting into an o-frame. It's possible my alignment is a factor here but not sure.

That moment in your video at 0:34 where you bobble - your balance was on your inside ski, not your outside ski. You might do some OFR's. That move will help you commit to balancing on the stance ski, and it will give you a safe space to work on tipping your inside foot, which you aren't doing yet.

In the upcoming offseason, I would get my hands on the alignment manual and read the crap out of it.
RyanAllen

Postby Max_501 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:41 am

IMO you've jumped too far ahead. Go back to step one and build a rock solid SP which is the fundamental movement pattern we use. Then get some video of the SP touch tilt drill. High performance carving is towards the end of Book 2 and shouldn't be attempted until you can do the earlier drills very well. Otherwise bad habits get ingrained.
Max_501

Postby Vailsteve » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:14 pm

[quote="Max_501" Otherwise bad habits get ingrained.[/quote]

Ohhhh, how true. And incredibly difficult to undo. Ask me how I know <grin>.
Vailsteve

Postby davey » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:06 pm

RyanAllen wrote:In the upcoming offseason, I would get my hands on the alignment manual and read the crap out of it.

I agree with all your assessments. If you don't mind me asking, where do can I get the alignment manual?

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. The season is over for me but as suggested, I will slow things down to work on drills on greens to start the new season. Take care everyone!
davey

Postby HighAngles » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:54 pm

davey wrote:
RyanAllen wrote:In the upcoming offseason, I would get my hands on the alignment manual and read the crap out of it.

I agree with all your assessments. If you don't mind me asking, where do can I get the alignment manual?

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. The season is over for me but as suggested, I will slow things down to work on drills on greens to start the new season. Take care everyone!

https://harbskisystems.com/collections/books/products/alignment-technician-course-manual
HighAngles

Postby davey » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:47 pm

davey

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video