MA for Direct Parallel

MA for Direct Parallel

Postby DirectParallel » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:42 am

This is not my first post on the forum, but I'll give a short introduction about myself:

INTRODUCTION

I (23M) started skiing in 2019. It was until September that year when I decided to prepare for the season thereafter and take some lessons. Before that I had been experimenting with some of the content published by Harald & Diana (among others) but my on-snow experience was very little (about 3-4 days). I was very surprised and happy to find a PMTS school in the Netherlands at less than 20 minutes away from my home. There I met Guus (ex-owner of Portes Du Ski together with Jasper).

Even with my limited experience I was suffering from being heavily in the backseat and it took some time before we where able to get rid of it. Fast forwarding to the 20-21' season: I was able to ski one week in Les Deux Alpes (France) and three days in Turkey. Meanwhile I had been studying ACBAES 1 & 2, the Essentials and lot's of content from Haralds blog and this forum. During (the first wave of) corona I was also able to study some other content: some from Projected Productions (mainly Reilly & Paul), Tom Gellie and the 'Japanese' (many YouTube video's with skiers featuring Takao Maruyama, Iyama Keisuke etc.).

MA

Down here you can find a YouTube video of me skiing a couple of days ago (went skiing a couple of times indoors). It's hard to get decent video material since I'm alone. In the future I hope to post some better material from various angles as generally suggested. Gear used for the people interested: Fischer XTR Race (15m), Fischer Hybrid 110+.

I'd like to give you my own thoughts about the video and ideas how I could improve it:
- flexing is not done properly: some times you see my upper body going down which is more like a squat rather than a flexing movement -> fix by doing more boot touch exercises and not trying to 'overflex' since this particular slope is not steep at all.
- arm position: even though I'm not trying to do pole plants yet it's hard to spot the 'home base' -> probably should watch more video's of Harald, less of the Japanese (they generally have these fancy arm swings going on :) ).
- not enough tipping: should be more aggressive to get 1) rounder turnshapes and 2) quicker transitions -> tip tip tip and then tip a little more.
- getting my alignment fixed: I feel like I'm knock kneed, when filming myself from the back I can really see the knee moving inwards when trying to balance on one leg, tipping is somewhat difficult (especially when trying to do super phantoms) and you can easily spot A-frames -> will make an appointment with Jasper to get things fixed (and get new boots that allow for adjustment).
- of course the skiing in general can be much dynamic and aggressive but I will likely first need to get the above things fixed.

I'd be very thankful for any kind of feedback you can provide me with: whether it be about my self-assessment or your own. I'm ambitious and driven te become an expert skier one day.
DirectParallel

Re: MA for Direct Parallel

Postby noobSkier » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:27 pm

Hi DirectParellel,

It's kind of hard to tell if there is any tipping here....from what I can tell, I'd say most likely not. Looks more like leaning and relying on momentum to my eye. This is probably somewhat related to your boot setup so definitely get that checked out. You seem to understand CB, so thats good (on your right footers at least). Which exercises are you working on?
noobSkier

Postby DirectParallel » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:53 am

noobSkier wrote:Hi DirectParellel,

It's kind of hard to tell if there is any tipping here....from what I can tell, I'd say most likely not. Looks more like leaning and relying on momentum to my eye. This is probably somewhat related to your boot setup so definitely get that checked out. You seem to understand CB, so thats good (on your right footers at least). Which exercises are you working on?

Thank you for the reply during this quiet time of the year.

As for the tipping goes: there is some tipping going on, but it's very limited. I've been experimenting with weighted releases / toppling where I'm able to get (a bit of) edge angle with very little effort. That being said: it caused me to become lazy with the feet-ankle tipping (which obviously is not a good thing).

I usually pick my exercises according to things I like to improve. Lately this has been majorly the Phantom move to commit fully weighting the outside leg.

Soon I'll post some more, what I'd consider PMTS-style, turns. This wasn't a very good example.
DirectParallel

Postby noobSkier » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:12 am

As for the tipping goes: there is some tipping going on, but it's very limited.

If your tipping isn't obvious, its almost the same as non-existent :) I don't doubt your effort, but again this is probably somewhat alignment related.

I've been experimenting with weighted releases / toppling where I'm able to get (a bit of) edge angle with very little effort.

Weighted release is an advanced exercise, and "toppling" is not a valid PMTS movement. Don't waste your time on this.

I usually pick my exercises according to things I like to improve.

We pick exercises based on our movement needs (if there is a coach), otherwise we follow the progressions laid out in ACBAES 1/2 (most of the time these two are the same). PMTS is layers of specific skills with each layer depending on the previous...for example, there is no hope of working on flexing without first being able to tip. Why? Because correct tipping & flexing at the expert level comes together as one fluid movement...and its sufficiently complex that you can't get there without learning it's constituent parts in the right order.

Lately this has been majorly the Phantom move to commit fully weighting the outside leg.

Video of your phantom move would be more revealing than free-skiing. Definitely check out Diana's video series on these. Best of luck!
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:56 am

IMO a student should master each chapter of Book 1(confirm with video) before moving to the next chapter. Because you've jumped to carving it will feel like taking a big step backwards but I don't know of a faster way (other than skiing with a PMTS coach) to develop the Super Phantom then starting with page 1 of book 1.
Max_501

Postby DirectParallel » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:00 am

noobSkier wrote:Video of your phantom move would be more revealing than free-skiing. Definitely check out Diana's video series on these. Best of luck!

I will post one, maybe after I got my alignment done. Anyway; I appreciate your insights and please feel free to comment on future video's I'll post :)

Max_501 wrote:IMO a student should master each chapter of Book 1(confirm with video) before moving to the next chapter. Because you've jumped to carving it will feel like taking a big step backwards but I don't know of a faster way (other than skiing with a PMTS coach) to develop the Super Phantom then starting with page 1 of book 1.

Thank you Max for the comment. It's not the first time I've read a similar comment by you, but this approach appears to be working great for the majority of the people. I will read ACBAES 1 and practice the exercises again.
Hopefully by then my skiing will be sufficient enough to point out more specific movements (or exercises) to work on.
DirectParallel

Return to Movement Analysis and Video