Carvers MA

Re: Carvers MA

Postby RyanAllen » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:34 pm

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:34 pm

RyanAllen wrote:Well, that's okay. Disagreements make the world go 'round. But, I'll say this - I would rather my free skiing resembled yours than his. :D

Talking purely aesthetics, with a little coaching/input and the desire on his part to do it, he'd make anything I do look like amateur hour after a day or two actually working it (though I appreciate the compliment). I've seen what ~30 point athletes can do in a few days... I can only imagine what the GOAT could do if he wanted to do it. The brilliance is still there in his lazy free skiing, trust me.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby ErikCO » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:58 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:The brilliance is still there in his lazy free skiing, trust me.

That was my thought on that video. He was basically playing around, having fun, not paying much attention to anything. It was actually kind of refreshing to see! He actually seems to still enjoy skiing for the joy of skiing (unlike, it would appear, Vonn at least based on her most recent interview). And I'm totally confident that if he wanted to, he could make his aesthetics look exactly the way many on this forum would ideally like to see with very little effort. All the essentials that made him such a superb racer are still there. But the video wasn't a tech demo. It was free skiing just for fun.
ErikCO

Postby RyanAllen » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:35 am

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby oggy » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:54 pm

RyanAllen wrote:I saw a video recently of Marcel Hirscher freeskiing. It wasn't pretty.

What's the video? This one?

RyanAllen wrote:Take a look and let me know if you have any suggestions or questions.

To be perfectly honest, the only nit I could pick in the video was that it looks to me like you could be tipping a bit more to finish the turn :D But do bear in mind that I have absolutely no idea how carvers work or how it feels to skate on them. As for the "internal cues", I guess it's highly personal. For me, recently I mostly feel good about turns where I'm very deliberate about where my balance is - but I guess that cue is about as unactionable and fuzzy as it gets.

On a different note, just wanna say that your progress on carvers looks amazing. It'd be great if you posted some carver and on-snow comparison to the last season once you hit the snow, I think it will be very motivational for the rest of us!
oggy

Postby dougtee » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:35 pm

hi ryan, are you still sticking with the same labeda wheels?
dougtee

Postby RyanAllen » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:24 pm

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby RyanAllen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:58 pm

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby willwingpang » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:50 am

Hi Ryan

Your roller carving has come on leaps and bounds from your first YT video to latest. Fantastic! I can only look on with awe.

If you are still Harb carving before you go away to some beautiful snow laden slope, regarding quieting your hands, may I suggest no pole planting, just hold out the poles with the tips flared out at 45 degrees, from release, through transition, during engagement, right up to the apex.Repeat that turn after turn after turn.When you flex to release, when the old stance leg shortens, your pole tip will tap the ground.
willwingpang

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video