MA request for lsem

Re: MA request for lsem

Postby noobSkier » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:55 am

lsem wrote:I have no video but I feel it

Don't fall into this trap. Much more experienced skiers have been fooled by their "feelings". My rule is to assume it's wrong until video proves otherwise.
noobSkier

Postby lsem » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:56 am

Don't fall into this trap. Much more experienced skiers have been fooled by their "feelings". My rule is to assume it's wrong until video proves otherwise.

noobSkier, Accepted :-) Thanks for reminder.
lsem

Postby lsem » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:29 am

Hi!

Thanks to your help I managed to prepare and successfully finish HSS camp at Hintertux.
Here is how my skiing looked like:

Recently I had skiing vacation and spent it mostly working on technique.

My SMIM during the camp in May was Flexing (I know, I still have a lot of extension), however my quads do not allow me to work on it all the time, so I was also working on making CB in pelvis and pulling free foot back through the turn. First I did that as part of one footed releases and then worked on incorporating it to my free skiing.

While I think that I'm finally understood and remembered correct feelings of making pelvis CB, I has broken my skiing in different place: tipping and super phantom transition. Now my skiing looks disgusting, I became BTE dominant and A-framed and I need help from competent people to deal with that. Please help.

My own explanation of this terrible outcome is the following (though most probably I'm wrong):

Seems like the problem is combination of two factors:
1) In order to finish the turn with maximum edge angle and carve across the slope I tip to strong on BTE of stance foot. BTW, the slope is very slippery, there were no snow for three weeks and a lot of skiers. When I deliberately attempted to reduce tipping of stance foot, it led to accidental skidding/slipping with lending on free foot for recovery.
2) Counter-balanced position with correct pelvis and active (quite strong, so I feel solid tension in hamstrings) pulling free of foot back through the turn switches off my tipping for some reason so I finish the turn (and hence, start the next turn) with A frame.

Apart from this, as separate request, can you give me some feed back on these turns, please? I rather like it so is this something I should be doing?
(I can see extension in these turns, as I said, I'm working on that, just had sore quads):

I did this by aggressively tipping for initiating a turn and pulling both feet back, then rebound started increasing during each turn and some kind of resonance effect happened so the turns happened almost without any physical effort, only tipping. However I cannot ski exactly like this in any snow. When snow is more grabby, the amount of rebound was is not sufficient to move skis to opposite side, they engage earlier so turns become super-short, incomplete and fade away.
lsem

Postby Jjmdane » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:03 pm

Think C’s not Z’s, I.e. rounder turns so the energy of the turn can build in a more linear fashion, even though you are making short radius turns. The ski tips look like they could be engaged more and sooner.
Jjmdane

Postby ToddW » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:14 pm

A meta comment about technique. When something stops working in your turns (or was never really present to a sufficient degree), it’s usually a good idea to practice it at slow speed in somewhat larger turns on gentle to moderate terrain where you have time to think about external cues. Short turns don’t allow much time for careful thought and their speed makes it hard to focus on the precision of movements. When your turns start to work on this terrain, do not immediately step up to harder terrain. Instead stay on the pistes where you succeeded but aim for 130% of the movement intensities that were adequate there. Once those result in good looking turns, try for 150%. Once that works, then up the terrain.

As an example, Harald often has people work on tipping precisely and to greater degree — sometimes one half turn at a time (onesies) — on the flats below the Olperer t-bars continuing down past the exits of 11A and 11B.

Since you were at Tux in May, odds are that the same coaching and drills you did at Tux outside of the brushies (slow, deliberate, in total control) would be a good template for self-study.
ToddW

Postby HighAngles » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:22 am

Who is turning who? By that I mean it looks like you "know" that you want/need the skis to come around in a turn, but you're not willing to "allow" the skis to do the turning (through proper PMTS technique). It sure looks like you're actively performing femur rotation (internal rotation of your stance leg) rather than that femur rotation occurring passively (naturally) coming from strong tipping, proper balance/alignment, and the resulting ski edge engagement.
HighAngles

Postby noobSkier » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:11 am

for the short turns, the pelvis is moving way too much for that radius. Look how much the hip drops and rotates in the low-c (appears worse on right-footers). This basically guarantees some juicing/rotation/extension to get the skis around. IMO you shouldn't spend any time skiing this way; stick to speed and radius like in your hintertux video which BTW is a massive improvement over your first videos.
noobSkier

Postby lsem » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:11 pm

Thanks for your comments.

I wish I could ski like in Hintertux, I just can't remember how! May be it is these hip counterbalancing efforts ruined my skiing, or some incorrect pull back, or something else. Something just went wrong during ambitious plans to bring skiing to higher levels. When I self-analyze I can see that hips move to far from the center making entire posture like too collapsed, but can't adjust skiing to return my skiing back to last May state.

May be I would ski better in brushies course, where turn phases enforced naturally.
lsem

Postby noobSkier » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:42 pm

I don't think you broke your skiing. Slow it down and go practice on a gentle slope where you can be more deliberate.
noobSkier

Postby Jeet » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:06 am

Isem i was in your group in Hintertux. I remember Harald taking you away on one side of the slalom hill. I remember what worked for, you was skiing with your poles across the knees. Harald said this really worked for you. BTW am the chap in the blue ski pants in the video. :)

Maybe if you practice this it will come back, it worked the first time so am sure it will work the second.
Jeet

Postby lsem » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:20 pm

Jeet, sure I remember you :)

Thank you for this piece of advice, indeed I need to calm down and continue working on things that worked.
lsem

Postby willwingpang » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:41 am

In the high c of every turn, you need to let your old stance leg 'yield', 'give in', 'collapse', 'relax', 'bend/flex' to help you enable tipping to the LTE. When you start getting the hang of this, you should feel the old BTE slipping and your skis will slide toward the fall-line. But remember, CONTINUE the TIPPING to the new LTE.

Hope this helps and also, Jeet has given you a very important drill, poles across the knees. You will remember the benefits.
willwingpang

Postby lsem » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:36 am

willwingpang, thanks for comment.

willwingpang wrote:In the high c of every turn, you need to let your old stance leg 'yield', 'give in', 'collapse', 'relax', 'bend/flex' to help you enable tipping to the LTE. When you start getting the hang of this, you should feel the old BTE slipping and your skis will slide toward the fall-line. But remember, CONTINUE the TIPPING to the new LTE.

Hope this helps and also, Jeet has given you a very important drill, poles across the knees. You will remember the benefits.

Sounds like it relates to two-footed release, do I understand correctly? I use (or at least intend to) one-footed one all the time. Which type of release is preferred for brushed turns on my level?
lsem

Postby willwingpang » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:15 pm

I practise this in ALL of my releases, in varying range of stance leg release movements (you can bend more!), various tipping angles, various speeds, various turn shapes, to figure out how much release I get from different gradient slopes, turn forces, snow conditions etc. I always try to look for in my release how much leverage I can get out of these factors

In my humble opinion I recommend you do the same, regardless of level - play around more.

By the way, I am in Kaprun Austria for the whole season - If you and I have spare time, we could meet up for a shred.
willwingpang

Postby Max_501 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:22 pm

Since you like making short turns with rebound I'm going to focus the MA on this clip:

Because you mentioned that you recently attended a camp and felt like you had lost some of what you learned I asked HH for his input on this clip. So, big thanks to Harald for helping out!

[For other coaches and dedicated students interested in learning MA, the reason I went to HH is because Isem is a strong skier with TTS movements that he'd like to change. It can be very difficult to eradicate habitual movements and picking out the SMIM and best drills for someone at Isem's level is a challenge.]

Let's start by looking for the good stuff. As we can see in the video, the turns further down the slope are better and closer to what Isem learned at camp.

The main issue is that he starts the run by pushing/pivoting the skis while they are relatively flat. As he progresses down the slope the movements improve. This suggests that Isem doesn't have complete command of the Essentials and is using TTS movements until he has enough momentum to feel more comfortable with PMTS movements. What we need here is a plan that helps Isem get comfortable with PMTS movements right from the start.

Looking at the video clip, rebound turns with strong retraction and tipping should be the goal.

There are a number of exercises to work on. Start with garlands with a release where the tail of the ski is not allowed to go uphill. And work on drills that target tipping. You need to replace the default movement of pushing/pivoting the skis with tipping the skis.

Read this article: Tipped vs. Tipping

Because your SMIM at camp was flexing you might consider working on flexing drills including the Power Release drill (after you have hammered tipping drills).

This is the intermediate version:

and this is the expert version:

Max_501

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video