MA for Jiyangc

MA for Jiyangc

Postby jiyangc » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:51 pm

Hi all,

Just a bit of background, I taught myself how to ski when I was 16 and had numerous bad habits ingrained. Fast forward to two years ago, I finally upgraded to new skis and discovered Harald Harb, and had a lot of revelatory moments that taught me how to carve and ski like I never did. I just wanted to ask for some advice, as I feel like my technique still falls apart on bumps and powder. This video was done this week by a friend with a GoPro on an easy run, and I feel like something still doesn't look quite right and I have trouble pinpointing it, so I would love some advice. I feel like my arms don't look right and I also feel like I'm not able to get low enough in order to get edge angles. My boot is a size too big for me and I am knocked knee and hence the A frame, so a proper boot and fitting is in the works.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

jiyangc

Re: MA for Jiyangc

Postby willwingpang » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:57 am

Hi Jiyangc

I am a PMTS enthusiast and this is a standard checklist that everyone on the forum uses for MA. This is my 2 cents on what I see on your video.

Is the stance width appropriate for the size of the skier?
-Yes

Does the release start by flexing the outside leg?
-No

Does LTE tipping lead engagement to the new turn?
-No. At beginning of run, the first few turns were made by pivots. When speed increased, skis were tilted on edges but I felt you let the ski radii dictate the turn shape.

Are the feet pulled back at transition?
-No

Is the inside foot held back throughout the turn?
-No

Is there enough CB and CA and is the timing right?
-No

Is the pelvis included in the CB/CA movement?
-No

Strong inside arm?
-No

Is the inside leg flexed as the turn progresses?
-Some

Does the outside leg extend naturally (no pushing) as the turn progresses?
- No

Does LTE tipping of the inside foot continue throughout the turn?
-No

Is the skier balanced over the outside ski?
-No

Is there a pole touch and how is the movement and timing?
-yes, but it upsets your balance when you release your skis for the new turn.

Alignment - watch the skis and knees carefully - does anything look like it needs go be tipped in or out?
- You said you will buy new boots. If possible go to PMTS certified bootfitter. If not, beware of crappy stiff footbeds that will lock up your ankles, you want footbeds that will let your feet produce controlled pronation :)
Last edited by willwingpang on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
willwingpang

Postby willwingpang » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:05 am

I feel you would benefit working on a flex to release drill.

Here is YT link https://youtu.be/AC1pt7pHXCY, Harb Teach-Yourself Series: Two footed Stationary Release – The Key to Starting Parallel Turns.

FOCUS on the flex to release.
willwingpang

Postby Max_501 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:08 am

jiyangc wrote:Fast forward to two years ago, I finally upgraded to new skis and discovered Harald Harb, and had a lot of revelatory moments that taught me how to carve and ski like I never did.

Which PMTS books and videos do you have? Have you had any alignment work done? Do you have a custom footbed?
Max_501

Postby jiyangc » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:17 am

Max_501 wrote:
jiyangc wrote:Fast forward to two years ago, I finally upgraded to new skis and discovered Harald Harb, and had a lot of revelatory moments that taught me how to carve and ski like I never did.

Which PMTS books and videos do you have? Have you had any alignment work done? Do you have a custom footbed?

I have Anyone Can Be An Expert Skier 1 and 2 and I watched a lot of the videos on Youtube and did the drills. However, I feel like I must not be doing them correctly as the video looked a lot different from how I imagined I ski. It was really helpful to finally be able to look at myself ski however, and any tips you have would be tremendously helpful. Regarding the footbed, it's just a medium arch insole the store outfitted me on.
Last edited by jiyangc on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
jiyangc

Postby jiyangc » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:24 am

willwingpang wrote:Hi Jiyangc

I am a PMTS enthusiast and this is a standard checklist that everyone on the forum uses for MA. This is my 2 cents on what I see on your video.

Is the stance width appropriate for the size of the skier?
-Yes

Does the release start by flexing the outside leg?
-No

Does LTE tipping lead engagement to the new turn?
-No. At beginning of run, the first few turns were made by pivots. When speed increased, skis were tilted on edges but I felt you let the ski radii dictate the turn shape.

Are the feet pulled back at transition?
-No

Is the inside foot held back throughout the turn?
-No

Is there enough CB and CA and is the timing right?
-No

Is the pelvis included in the CB/CA movement?
-No

Strong inside arm?
-No

Is the inside leg flexed as the turn progresses?
-Some

Does the outside leg extend naturally (no pushing) as the turn progresses?
- No

Does LTE tipping of the inside foot continue throughout the turn?
-No

Is the skier balanced over the outside ski?
-No

Is there a pole touch and how is the movement and timing?
-yes, but it upsets your balance when you release your skis for the new turn.

Alignment - watch the skis and knees carefully - does anything look like it needs go be tipped in or out?
- You said you will buy new boots. If possible go to PMTS certified bootfitter. If not, beware of crappy stiff footbeds that will lock up your ankles, you want footbeds that will let your feet produce controlled pronation :)

This is tremendously helpful! Regarding the pelvis in the CA/CB movement, do you mean I am not bending forward/angulated enough via the waist? I will work on all these things. Thanks again
jiyangc

Postby willwingpang » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:43 am

Hi Jiyangc

Had a lot of work to deal with and I totally forgotten about this, please accept my apologies!

This is tremendously helpful! Regarding the pelvis in the CA/CB movement, do you mean I am not bending forward/angulated enough via the waist? I will work on all these things. Thanks again

CB - Hips/torso need to make more sideways movement.
CA - Hips need to face toward the lifted edges.

You practise these movements then it will easier to make inside/free foot management.
willwingpang

Return to Movement Analysis and Video