T's PMTS Journey

Re: T's PMTS Journey

Postby noobSkier » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:04 pm

tea,

I think you have alignment issues. Try to get video of an alternating one-legged straight run. By lifting your ski, you have made more obvious what was already there: a wedge. The goal is to balance on the LTE of the uphill ski before lifting and tipping the downhill ski. You are already on the BTE of the uphill ski before your lift & tip...so essentially it has no effect. By holding your tipping and not pushing on the new stance ski, you set yourself up for LTE balance; hold it for a moment, lift the new inside ski and tip it.
noobSkier

Postby tea » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:12 pm

Thank you. Are you referring to the super phantom move? Since that was not in book 1, I had decided not to practice that. But I certainly can the next time I get to ski.
tea

Postby noobSkier » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:37 pm

tea,

I'm not well versed in the difference between the phantom move and what Diana is performing in that video. I believe what she is doing is an early precursor to a full fledged phantom move, but I'll defer to the more experienced. As far as what you should work on now, I agree with tigernbr.
noobSkier

Postby tea » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:01 pm

I did that a lot today as part of the drills. I could get a video, but that won't be for a few weeks. In the meanwhile, it would be helpful to have observations on the stance and the tipping in the two videos from today so I know what is right and what is not, so I know specific things to focus on my next ski day. I think that would be the most helpful to me at this point (like some of the posts above), versus just suggesting that I do one drill or another, which would have me going in blind. I mean, I can see that being helpful if I could go to the mountain every day, or even later on in this journey, but not right now. I drive three hours each way to get to the resort, and I can't, at this point, afford to stay somewhere overnight.
tea

Postby tigernbr » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:43 am

Tea, if you can afford it, I highly recommend you get the Eliminate the Wedge videos 1, 2, and 3 from https://harbskisystems.com/collections/evideos. Those videos are pretty much a synopsis of ACBAES 1. You can download them and save them to watch over and over. Diana does an excellent job of walking you through the essentials progression as presented in Book 1. It will be the best $30 you can spend right now.
tigernbr

Postby Max_501 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:11 am

The Phantom is taught in Book 1 and if each exercise is mastered before moving to the next the student should have a solid Phantom by the end of the book. The catch is that it isn't easy to balance on the LTE so many skiers skip over that very important part of the Phantom.

HH wrote the following years ago:

h.harb wrote:The Phantom Move is the same thing as the Super Phantom. The only reason there is such a thing as a Super Phantom is because skiers thought they were doing a PM, but they were still pushing the uphill, old inside ski to the big toe edge, before lifting the stance ski. Therefore, I had to describe the PM in more detail and I called it the Super PM. The SuperPM puts emphasis where it should be, on standing on the old inside ski, the LTE, before the stance leg is flexed and stance ski lifted.
Max_501

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:42 am

did you take a look at videos that I posted for you at the start of this thread? If so, then why are you still posting videos of you trying to ski on slopes waaaay to steep and waaay to fast for your development?..

You need to understand that the only way to master these movements (which includes unlearning old habits) is to spend hours practicing each exercise in isolation. Practice makes perfect....BUT you have to be practicing the perfect movements...in order to learn/ re-learn, you have to be open to it. It is a mental switch. I spent 18months working through the basic drills in book 1, this was before I went on a camp. SET UP, SLIDE, STOP, REPEAT. It is simple, repetitive, but you have to do it...how important is the ball toss in a tennis serve? How important in the back swing in golf.

Rehearse the correct movements over and over and over on green runs. Exaggerate everything, then exaggerate some more.

Send video of these exercises to check progress and correct as required...please stop sending ‘skiing’ videos’ as there is too much wrong going on...the most amazing coaches & skiers will bend over backwards to help you, but not if you don’t put the hard, repetitive work in...
go_large_or_go_home

Postby tea » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:04 am

Those videos are all on very gentle green slopes. I practiced on them all day until I found a couple of people just standing/resting, and asked them if they could film. One of them just happened to be standing above a slightly bumpy area (at least it got bumpy by afternoon). As I also mentioned, I did have them film exercise 3-5, but that video would not play.

Maybe I am missing something because I just re-read chapter 3 of book 1 again, and I'm not seeing the emphasis on placing the free foot down on the little toe edge. But anyway, I can work on that: http://www.pmts.org/index.php/read-a-ta ... er-phantom

I can definitely afford $30. Thank you for the suggestion. I will watch them and practice the drills on there.
tea

Postby Max_501 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:22 am

The Phantom is a compound movement that is the result of mastering Book 1, which is a movement and skill building progression. Book 1 starts teaching us to balance on the LTE on page 19. By the time we get to page 102 we should have developed the required skill to balance on the LTE as part of the Phantom. There are many exercises between those pages that must be mastered to get the result shown in the book. Read everything carefully because there is important information that is often overlooked.
Max_501

Postby tea » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:35 am

Yep, thanks, I am re-reading everything carefully as we speak. I will also watch the Eliminate the Wedge videos after that, and come up with a drill plan for the next few ski days.
tea

Postby Max_501 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:05 am

Harald wrote a great post back in 2004 that is worth reading. Book Learning
Max_501

Postby ErikCO » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:38 pm

go_large_or_go_home wrote:Send video of these exercises to check progress and correct as required...please stop sending ‘skiing’ videos’ as there is too much wrong going on...the most amazing coaches & skiers will bend over backwards to help you, but not if you don’t put the hard, repetitive work in...

This 3x over. When there are 5 or 6 obvious major things wrong with your skiing, you will not get anywhere trying to correct them all at once. And if you only focus on one while still doing the others wrong, you are reinforcing bad movement patterns. You need drills that focus on 1 movement at a time. And find an easier green slope than that. The bunny slope would be a good place to start videoing. You should be on a slope where you do not have to do ANY thinking about speed control or avoiding people.
ErikCO

Postby GregM » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:03 pm

Another side note is that the body trajectory in your skiing in the videos resembles the garland pointed downhill.
The turns are so shallow that they do not offer any possibility of speed control. If you would be making round arcs (think about half circles) there would be times when you are accelerating (when skis point downhill) and slowing down (skis going across the hill). In your case you are going with the speed the pitch (even gentle as it appears) and gravity want you to. The inappropriate speed and possible alignment issues are making all your actions and the timing out of sync.
If you cannot make round turns go back to the garland exercises -- this is how the book structured and you jumped to far ahead.
By doing garland shallow turns across the hill you will be able to slow down significantly and at least grasp the concept of speed control by doing properly shaped arcs.

Also the knee flexing you mentioned you implemented is not nearly enough. Study the photos again. The new "flexed" position does not look like the photos in this thread.
GregM

Re: I'm in blue (third down the slopes). What all can I impr

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:30 am

tea wrote:I also had the alignment tested using the pressure pad at the bootfitter who made me custom insoles, and the computerized heat map showed very symmetrical pressures across the board.

Could you describe the alignment process they used?
Max_501

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video