MA request for noobSkier

Re: MA request for noobSkier

Postby RRT » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:15 pm

RRT

Postby noobSkier » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:13 pm

It seems to me like its nearly impossible to get high-c engagement with balls of ice on the terrain (a staple in eastern Canada)...the issue is that in the high-c the pressure on the stance ski is at its lowest so the golf balls just roll under and skid you out. I think what's happening here is I'm skiing apex-to-apex for speed control because then the brush happens with the skis more parallel to the fall line thereby negating the rolling effects of the golf balls. Obviously it's not a technique that I practice, rather something I did in the moment to adapt to that terrain.

As far as juicing the tails, I think if you pay close attention to the tips of the skis in the last 5 turns (after I overtake the skier in red), you see progressive tipping rather than an edge set. Granted, its debatable because the video is so bad. From now on, only good video I promise!
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:35 am

noobSkier wrote:As far as juicing the tails, I think if you pay close attention to the tips of the skis in the last 5 turns (after I overtake the skier in red), you see progressive tipping rather than an edge set. Granted, its debatable because the video is so bad.

That's not how we MA, instead we'd look at the first 6 turns to see what your default movement pattern is when things are challenging. Go back to the beginning of this thread and check the earlier MA. How much still applies? Are you are still using momentum to mask weak or missing Essentials? Do you still have knock kneed alignment?
Max_501

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:58 am

Hi noobSkier,

Take a look at the carved turn video to get a sense of what is powering the release in your brushed turns. Despite the appearance of a flex to release in the carved turns, you still end up on a largely extended leg to begin the next turn. 'Something' is creating an impulse that is sending momentum up vs. toward the next turn. That is not to say that a proper flex to release eliminates all vertical motion in one's skiing, however, a proper flex IS held (even if minimal) as we transfer and engage the new edges. In your skiing, the long leg is happening almost simultaneously with the engagement. If we think about the relationship of that timing of extending (or ending up extended... e.g. the extension of the inside leg may still feel passive to you) with tipping, we will quickly remember that little tipping can occur from a straight leg. To accomplish your goal (assuming the goal is PMTS turns... both brushed AND carved) you'll have to slow it down to where you are not relying on a (even a subtle/tiny) BTE 'punch' to gain release momentum and build a proper R-T-E into your skiing. The faster the turns are, and the more momentum you generate, the harder it is to stay soft on the skis and eliminate that impulse because the release timing becomes so critical.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086#p51492

Much of this thread underscores the importance of working with a PMTS coach during one's development. Sure, a lot can be done on your own (which you have done noobSkier), however when you hit road blocks along the way, often the way to get around them is to ski with a PMTS coach. I know this applied to me (did a lot on my own and first skied with Max_501 in 2014). My skiing has meaningfully improved (as has my rate of improvement, and understanding of what in my boot setup was holding me back) since skiing with him. You obviously have some skill and seem dedicated to improving, so I'd say the best thing you could do for your skiing next is to get with a PMTS coach. This stuff is HARD to do in isolation because so few other skiers ski like we do. so even if you're 'getting feedback' whether it be in person or through video it is challenging, if-not impossible, to replicate what can be done in-person.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby noobSkier » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks for the comments max_501 and helluvaskier. Im in touch with Diana about going down to Welch village in March. The season is still early and historically my first clips have been more horrendous than these, so I'm encouraged!

Max_501, I take your point but I think the first 5 turns in that clip are a little hard to see...going back to the importance of good video. I'll go back and look at earlier MA...I'll have to study it for a few days before answering those questions.
noobSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:58 am

Quoting these posts all in one place for you noobSkier. It is possible we may cross paths at Welch... TBD based on my work schedule.

h.harb wrote:The steps to getting bigger angles more control on steeps:
1. A rounder turn, more curve in the turn, more finish across the falline.
2. This requires more tipping and inside leg flexing.
3. This will require more leg flexing at the release.
4. Notice in your short turns the upper body leans in the same direction as the ski angles, this should be reversed, for CB.

So there are some movements to work on. All are in the Essentials of skiing. Notice the word "more" is in almost every sentence in the list???

A good exercise "also" would be the power release, ("Essentials of Skiing") as your feet are too much glued together. I as many do, ski with my feet close however they are not glued together, that's different.

h.harb wrote:I don't see a big classic tail push. However, there is an extended period of time when the skis are flat and they change directions while flat. The tails of the skis do move uphill before the new turn comes to an edge angle. The new turn high C is without ski tipping or engagement before the skis get on to an angle at the falline. There is some extension of the upper body and lifting of the outside arm during the transition, which contributes to the delay in ankle/boot layover.
https://harbskisysems.blogspot.com

h.harb wrote:...this a great study in movement analysis because there are many subtle things happening that affect the end result. In ski racing, these little misses result in huge problems. In freeskiing, they are barely noticeable by all skies. When you compare the edge change in transition from skier to skier, that is where most of the movements that are lacking show up.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby noobSkier » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:11 pm

Thanks for the compilation HeluvaSkier. Looking back at all my previous videos and MA here's a what I came up with:

1. Consistent lack of high-c engagement
2. A push on the stance ski that became more and more subtle over time...possibly due to improvements in tipping
3. Consistent improvements in flexing, CA and CB
4. Consistently failing to post slow skiing

In summary, the improvements in tipping/flexing/CA/CB definitely took my skiing to another level, but the essence of PMTS which is high-c engagement has eluded me.

So here's my proposed antidote:

Only slow skiing from here on out. Only slow videos from here on out. No more excuses about bad terrain. Focusing on transferring balance to the LTE (good catch SkiMoose) and using tipping ONLY to engage in the high-c.

Exercises: OFR/TFR; both stationary and linked....UNTIL ITS PERFECT.

*EDIT: As far as my alignment, it looks like I'm knock kneed in the "short carved" clip, but when I skied there for some reason I was purposefully trying to touch the inside knee of the outside ski to the boot of the inside ski...I don't know why I thought this was a good idea.
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:07 am

noobSkier wrote:*EDIT: As far as my alignment, it looks like I'm knock kneed in the "short carved" clip, but when I skied there for some reason I was purposefully trying to touch the inside knee of the outside ski to the boot of the inside ski...I don't know why I thought this was a good idea.

In the short BRUSHED video the alignment looks knock kneed. The movement you describe is what we'd expect to see when someone is pushing off the BTE and juicing the skis.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:12 pm

Honestly, for my own sanity I'm going to leave my alignment the way it is until I can get HH or Diana to look at it...but thanks for pointing it out.
noobSkier

Postby noobSkier » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Skiing so slowly has been eye opening. I realized that I've never had an LTE balance transfer, not even in my edge locked carving like HeluvaSkier pointed out. I don't know why I keep torturing myself with this...PMTS is a Heluva drug!
noobSkier

Postby bmoose21 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:47 pm

Max_501 wrote:I don't know what you are looking at but on my screen there isn't any plume to speak of in the high C portion of the turn.

One example between 5-6 secs on the left turn after avoiding the skier below... small but visible before the fall line. I do agree that there is some delayed engagement/pivot in the turns as well.
bmoose21

Postby noobSkier » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:12 pm

Thanks for the comments bmoose21. I kind of agree with you but even if it were the case, as Max_501 stated for MA we only look at the first 6 turns...which definitely makes sense.
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:05 pm

If the primary goal of MA was to blow smoke up your arse telling you how great you are skiing then we'd look at the best turns on the easiest slope. We don't do that here. I'd urge all of you that are newer to the forum to read and give serious consideration to this thread.

Let me give you an example of a truly exceptional PMTS student. Greg (Heluvaskier) was a kick ass skier long before I had the pleasure of skiing with him in person. Most skiers at his level wouldn't want to spend their time working on PMTS drills, especially when there is super hero Montana pow calling your name. But Greg wanted to be an expert PMTS skier. As most know that requires mastering each of the Essentials. Greg was already well versed in most of the Essentials. However, his CA wasn't at the level of his other movements. That would keep most people from reaching the expert level, but Greg's pullback is so strong he was able to use it as a crutch to overcome the CA issue. Hey, why make changes if you are already skiing in the top 1%? Simple, because you want to be the very best you can. So, when Greg asked for MA I gave it to him. I didn't pull any punches and told it as I saw it. He could have been defensive and disagreed (after all his hips were on the snow and he can ski with bigger angles that I'm willing to put down) but instead he wanted to master CA. To do that you have to put all the high speed ripping away, slow way down, and spend hours working on targeted drills (video and coaching feedback is a huge help). Greg did that and he is a much better skier and coach because of it.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:01 am

Thanks for your posts Max_501. This was exactly the wake up call I needed to set the tone for the rest of the season!
noobSkier

Postby noobSkier » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:39 pm

Here is my best rendition of the TFR...was working on these for the last two days. Im finding that towards the end of the arc my downhill ankle is already somewhat everted, making LTE tipping for the next turn more difficult...is this normal?

noobSkier

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video