MA for mountainbum

Re: MA for mountainbum

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:36 am

DougD wrote:Still hoping Max advises on the SMIM!

Not the best video for MA because the skier's feet are often hidden but I still see tipping as the SMIM. Not a surprise on a 90mm waisted sk. Note the relationship of the hip to the feet as the turn develops. Which is leading?
Max_501

Postby DougD » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:02 am

Got it, Max... though even with your tip I had to watch 3x to see it. Leading with hips (CB more than CA). Possibly an adaptive movement... trying to muscle those wide skis up onto their edges.

Hmm... his SMIM may be a trip to a ski shop, seeking a ski that's narrow enough to respond to foot tipping. :?
DougD

Postby Max_501 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:27 am

DougD wrote:Hmm... his SMIM may be a trip to a ski shop, seeking a ski that's narrow enough to respond to foot tipping. :?

Wider skis do respond to tipping but they need more, more, more!
Max_501

Postby mountainbum » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:49 am

New Skis...you can slow down the video and slide through it...I do notice that I still unwind my counter a bit when I pole plant, it's a little frustrating! I'm wondering whether I need to work on CA or no swing pole plant drills...would appreciate any feedback! I'm currently trying to pass my PSIA level 2 (it pays better!) so I'm having to do a whole host of confusing things, I need to figure out how to disguise my skiing...maybe weighted releases?

https://www.coachseye.com/v/97623595b00 ... ab9a640f20

https://www.coachseye.com/v/f02734bf425 ... 88cadd1fb7
mountainbum

Postby Obrules15 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:13 am

mountainbum wrote:New Skis...you can slow down the video and slide through it...I do notice that I still unwind my counter a bit when I pole plant, it's a little frustrating! I'm wondering whether I need to work on CA or no swing pole plant drills...would appreciate any feedback! I'm currently trying to pass my PSIA level 2 (it pays better!) so I'm having to do a whole host of confusing things, I need to figure out how to disguise my skiing...maybe weighted releases?

https://www.coachseye.com/v/97623595b00 ... ab9a640f20

https://www.coachseye.com/v/f02734bf425 ... 88cadd1fb7

Wow, significant improvement from your first videos.
Obrules15

Postby DougD » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:36 am

From viewing only on my phone, nice improvements.

Regarding premature unwinding of your CA... Angry Mother drills. I had to do them for a year to unlearn 30+ years of no CA skiing. It shouldn't take you that long... you've got less to unlearn!

About that final turn to a stop... why are you allowing yourself to forget everything you're trying to learn? You totally unwind your CA and actually finish facing uphill. This is a no-no. If you attend camp, Harald and other coaches will call you out on this.

Finish EVERY turn - especially the last one - using correct movements. When you come to a stop you should be fully CA'd and CB'd, hands in their home position, outside pole touching the snow... just as if you were preparing to release into the next turn.

Practice releasing and turning from this position starting from a dead stop, using a Two Footed Release. This is a real acid test. All the Essentials must be in place or you'll fail. This takes work... lots of work.

Great stuff! Thanks for posting.
DougD

Postby DougD » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:47 am

mountainblum,

Here's my non-expert MA, subject to correction by Max_501 or another coach/expert.

After stepping thru your videos on a larger screen, it's clear that Max_501's comments still apply. Your tipping on many turns begins from the hips. Tipping must begin from the feet and move up, not from the upper body downward.

Leading with the hips (aka hip dumping) affects skiing in many ways. The skier typically falls onto their inside ski before establishing outside ski edge control. The powerful hip and thigh muscles then cause the outside ski to skid, disturbing balance and disrupting the arc of the turn. At this point the turn (as a PMTS turn)
is lost. This is clearly visible in a couple of turns near the top in your first video, but it happens to some degree on nearly all your turns.

Once the skier loses commitment to an edged and arcing Stance Ski and has pushed or twisted it into skid, the finish of the turn tends to be rushed (or a hard edge set, if he skier is afraid of picking up speed). Your turns appear "rushed", not finished to completion.

1. Your SMIM, therefore, is still tipping. Go back to Expert Skier 1 and repeat the earliest and most basic tipping drills. Work up from there. When you get to Phantom (and Super Phantom) Move turns, work very hard on developing gliding LTE balance (on the new stance ski) after the Release and Transfer. This will help you retain your hips in the old CA, as it's impossible to glide on the LTE if you unwind the hips too early. (I practiced this for 20-30 ski days before getting it, more or less. I still practice it every day.)

2. Try to find easier terrain, slow down and ski every turn to completion (as described in my previous post). The more you rely on momentum for balance, the longer it will take to learn correct movements and the more incorrect movements you'll be training.
DougD

Postby h.harb » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:07 pm

Most of the MA I've read here in small snippets is correct regarding the counteracting. Hold your counter acting longer, while your legs unwind, don't unwind your hips. The legs and skis unwind. Let your hips come across the skis at the beginning of the release, still keeping your hips slightly countered. After you tip the feet ankles and boots, to the new edges, without a strong CA, your knees will show angles. The new CA should only begin after the LTE is engaged and CA should not be not forceful or quick Time It with the lower body tipping movements. If it is too forceful the tails kick-out, and the tipping stops. Also practice, by slowing down, and finish the arc more across the slope.
h.harb

Postby mountainbum » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:40 pm

Thanks for all the feedback...I recently got a tip from a former PMTS examiner to add strong foot pullback with a bit of heel lift to my short turns and I have to say that it has completely corrected my "hip dumping" problem...I'll have to get some video to see how much of a visible difference it is but I sure do feel a huge difference!
mountainbum

Postby mountainbum » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:27 am

Here is a new video. I have made some changes to my skiing, mainly foot pullback and relaxing through transition and using momentum to move my body into the new turn....also trying to time the "extension" of my outside leg, I think I was too flexed before. My question is: what is the SMIM that would improve my skiing, and what is one drill that you have found very helpful to improve that movement. Thanks for any feedback!
mountainbum

Postby DougD » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:35 am

mountainblum, this looks like more "foot directed" skiing, vs. the hip directed movements you were previously using. Running thru Max_501"s MA checklist:

Does the release start by flexing the outside leg? Yes, but more flexing would be better
Does LTE tipping lead engagement to the new turn? Yes, but more, more, more!
Are the feet pulled back at transition? Yes
Is the inside foot held back throughout the turn? Yes
Is there enough CB and CA and is the timing right? Need more CA
Strong inside arm? R arm yes, L arm not so much
Is the pelvis included in the CB/CA movement? Yes, just need to increase CA
Is the inside leg flexed as the turn progresses? Yes, until the last turn, where you lost everything. FINISH every turn!
Does the outside leg extend naturally (no pushing) as the turn progresses? Some pushing still evident
Does LTE tipping continue throughout the turn? Mostly, but stance ski pushing weakens it
Is there a pole touch and how is the movement and timing? R pole touch good, L pole & arm are too "swingy". Keep that L hand forward.
Alignment - watch the skis and knees carefully - does anything look like it needs to be tipped in or out? Looks good to me

Reviewing the above, more flexing to release and less "goosing" of the stance ski early in the High-C appears to be the basic movement needing improvement. (I have the same issue.) IMO this is the SMIM. I'm counting this as one movement since flexing is the opposite of pushing... improving one improves the other.

For a drill, I'd suggest lots of time doing linked, super-slow Two Footed Releases, each one starting from a near standstill, turning very slowly and finishing to a near standstill. Doing the drill as slowly as possible is critical, since the only way to do it (without rotation) is with excellent balance, tipping, CA and CB. Do these for many runs, for many days. The improved balance and movements should reduce your tendency to "rush" turns by extending to an edge instead of flexing + tipping + CA.

I'm not a coach or expert, so other opinions welcomed.
DougD

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:00 pm

Try moving the right boot cuff away from the medial side of the leg. After that you may have to cant the sole out slightly possibly 1/2 degree.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:06 pm

Try moving the right boot cuff away from the medial side of the leg. After that, you may have to cant the sole out slightly possibly 1/2 degree. SMIM: one movement focus, keep pushing you inside pole tip, move it further forward and down the hill until the finish, and then hold that hip CA until the legs and skis release. You have a slight extension coming to the new left turn off your right leg in transition.

Inside pole tip forward: and CA! Foot pullback is also key.

https://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/2017/12/dialing-in-boots-closer-to-what-i-want.html
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:17 pm

Can you pick up the mistakes here, even by good skiers??? These mistakes won't hold up in difficult situations. It's amazing how easily fooled people are into thinking what good technical clean skiing is, notice by the comments.
h.harb

Postby mountainbum » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:56 pm

Most of the skiers seem to have a little extension to move into the turn at times...seems like not much CA? I see the inside hand dropping to the inside of the turn...for some skiers, like the one in white and blue there seems to be occasional upper body rotation too?

Thanks for the input, I will start incorporating very slow two footed releases with CA and a strong arm as a daily drill!

If I have already tipped the bootcuff in as much as it can go...that would move it away from the medial side correct? I also have a temporary 1/2 degree tipped in on the right boot.
mountainbum

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video