MA Request for maxman

MA Request for maxman

Postby maxman » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:36 pm

Hi,
I've been able to put together some video and hope to get some analysis on my skiing. The skiing is slow and I'm trying to show some drills. I'm working through ACBES 1 and concentrating on the following:
a) Tipping
b) Free foot hold back
c) weight on stance ski
d) linking turns
e) CB and CA
f) release without extension
g) one foot release for brushed carves and SRT's
h) Alignment

I'll give my interpretation of the checklist points below and let me know if my perception is correct.
1. Does the release start by flexing the outside leg? Yes
2. Does LTE tipping lead engagement to the new turn? Yes
3. Are the feet pulled back at transition? Don’t know about both feet
4. Is the inside foot held back throughout the turn? Yes
5. Is there enough CB and CA and is the timing right? CB yes, CA don’t know
6. Strong inside arm? Don’t know
7. Is the pelvis included in the CB/CA movement? No (development on this to follow)
8. Is the inside leg flexed as the turn progresses? Yes
9. Does the outside leg extend naturally (no pushing) as the turn progresses? Yes
10. Does LTE tipping continue throughout the turn? Yes
11. Is there a pole touch and how is the movement and timing? Touch yes, timing don't know
12. Alignment - watch the skis and knees carefully - does anything look like it needs go be tipped in or out? Looks OK

Thanks for the feedback
maxman

Re: MA Request for maxman

Postby milesb » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:04 pm

I'm not feeling up for doing any kind of detailed MA, but I just wanted to say you're on the right track with many things.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby Matt » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:42 am

It is a bit difficult to see since it is filmed from behind, but to me it seems that you extend the old free leg when going into transition. Flex or hold the length of this leg and flex the new free leg.
Matt

Postby HighAngles » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:12 am

Matt is correct and I also see a clear push off from the old stance leg instead of a true flex to release in the complete turns that you show. In the first and last sequences your hips are rising at transition. The hips can only rise if there's extension at that point of the turn.
HighAngles

Postby maxman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:31 pm

Eliminating extension seems to be eluding me and this is where the perception vs reality problem is. I'm actively concentrating on not extending when transferring weight off the old stance foot. I’m trying to stay flexed, release and tip. Other than flexing more, I guess I don’t know what to do differently at this speed.
Besides this I’m hoping other basics are in place, or close to being in place, like tipping, flexing, etc so I have the correct platform to work from.

Thanks,
maxman

Postby oggy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:21 am

HighAngles wrote:The hips can only rise if there's extension at that point of the turn.

I don't think this is correct; if you get decent edge angles your hips are going to be close to the snow and then are going to rise somewhat in the transition, even if you don't extend, e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VqB7BHl_5Mc#t=72s

Other than that, I however agree with the others, I'm also seeing extending in transition. For me a good way to start practicing flexing to extend are Super Phantoms, where you first traverse on the old little toe edge for a ski length or so before initiating the new turn. This is going to be very difficult if you extend, because pushing down on the ski will flatten it. On the other hand, if you just pick up your old stance leg, it gets much easier.
oggy

Postby Max_501 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:19 pm

oggy wrote:I don't think this is correct; if you get decent edge angles your hips are going to be close to the snow and then are going to rise somewhat in the transition, even if you don't extend, e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VqB7BHl_5Mc#t=72s

This topic has been covered many times before on the forum. When we say hips rise we usually mean the outside leg is extending, and HighAngles was clear on that point.
Max_501

Postby HighAngles » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:34 pm

Yep, thanks for the clarification on my post. The hips certainly can/will rise when high edge angles are being achieved.
HighAngles

Postby oggy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:22 pm

Max_501 wrote:This topic has been covered many times before on the forum. When we say hips rise we usually mean the outside leg is extending, and HighAngles was clear on that point.

OK, I wasn't aware of this. Have to say I don't really like the term though, to me it doesn't really convey the intended meaning well.
oggy

Postby Matt » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:28 pm

oggy wrote:
Max_501 wrote:This topic has been covered many times before on the forum. When we say hips rise we usually mean the outside leg is extending, and HighAngles was clear on that point.

OK, I wasn't aware of this. Have to say I don't really like the term though, to me it doesn't really convey the intended meaning well.

I guess it depends on what you frame of reference is. In extension the hips "rise" in relation to the ski. The hips can rise in relation to the snow even without extension.
I agree though that the term is a bit confusing. "leg extension" would be a better term imo.
Matt

Postby skijim13 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:45 am

Looks like you are on the right track, see some stemming in the skis during turns, I would work on the ball drill to try to keep the skis equidistance apart during the turns.
skijim13

Return to Movement Analysis and Video