I got video - phantom turns

I got video - phantom turns

Postby Petter_F » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:23 am

If anyone could lend an eye for MA I would certainly appreciate it. I have an idea on what should be happening but don't know why it is not.

This year was difficult to get time for filming or drills. We were on our one week ski holiday for the year with baby in tow which meant only 50% of the time on snow.

I am a late bloomer having had 13 weeks/years on snow, bought 1&2 and Essentials a few years ago and unfortunately no PMTS lessons yet. My skiing has shown improvement since the books which is such a relief as I had a number of preceeding years of TTS with little advancement.

Thanks in advance.

Petter_F

Re: I got video - phantom turns

Postby Randall Pitt » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:53 pm

Not bad skiing Peter. You're just a little too static through transition. The period from release through engagement is critical, you can't waste it standing on flat skis. You want to always be moving. I think in book1 there was a section that had to do with transition movements. It showed photos in sequence from the end of one turn to the engagement of the next. I'd study them and the movements and try and incorporate them into your transition. After each of your pole plants their is a slight period of time where you have no movement at all sort of waiting for the turn to happen instead of being an active participant in making it happen. This is the crucial time were you should be exaggerating your tipping and flexing to start developing the angles needed for high c engagement.
Randall Pitt

Postby h.harb » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:10 pm

The reason for the hesitation is there is no tipping of the skis and feet. Look at the feet and skis, the tipping angles never change from the beginning to end of the arc. Therefore; Petter has to wait until he can find enough grip to release.

Remember PMTS, MA, is abut finding the SMIM, "Single most important movement", in this case it's "Tipping". There are exercises for that in "Essentials of Skiing", they are both stationary and moving exercises. I suggest that this the direction and the Essential, you can work toward.
h.harb

Postby nickia » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:37 pm

h.harb wrote: Look at the feet and skis, the tipping angles never change from the beginning to end of the arc.

Does this mean we have to increase tipping angle progressively? How can it be done using the phantom tipping?
nickia

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:42 pm

Start tipping and keep on tipping. Increase the tipping as you move into the turn. Doesn't make a differnce if its a Super Phantom or a not. Always keep on tipping.
Max_501

Postby Petter_F » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:35 am

Thanks for your comments. This really gives me something concrete to work with.

Your description, Harald, is exactly what is happening in my mind too. My aim was to perform phantom moves as per ACBES1 - lift and tip etc. I was concentrating on keeping my freefoot close to my stance leg while tipping the free foot - one cue being keeping the tip of that ski in contact with the snow. I suppose am doing a 'park and ride' phantom :wink: and never paying attention to active/progressive tipping. [strangely enough I noticed on the film that there is separation of my boots when meeting the fall line. This surprised me. I hadn't really noticed it on the slope, and it was on pretty easy ground too. But as you say, focus on my SMIM for the moment]

h.harb wrote:Petter has to wait until he can find enough grip to release.

This is so true for my whole weeks skiing, I find it hard to explain, but it felt like alot of waiting for the transfer in order to check speed - waiting for enough grip to develop.

It's a great chapter on tipping in Essentials so my head will be buried there for a while.

Cheers.
Petter_F

Postby Smackboy1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:11 am

Hi Petter, you are like I was. I had all the books and DVDs and I thought I could teach myself, but I could not. When I finally got with a PMTS coach I showed him my tipping and he told me, "that's not tipping, you are pushing your tails and skidding." I'm no expert, but I think you may have the same problem I had. Up to that point I had been skiing for 25 years all over the mountain. I knew what my body had to do for PMTS, but I could not make my body do it. I had not yet found my "one thing".

I'm no PMTS coach but based on the above comments I'm wondering if you could benefit from the same drill that helped me. I was taught the railway tracks drill with the "O" frame legs. At first, I practiced this on the flats and cat tracks, not even the greens (too steep for isolating and learning my "one thing"), and really tried to exaggerate the tipping (feel like I had a barrel between my legs). Watch Harald do the drill at around 2:40

I had to relearn skiing from the ground up. When I could tip and carve thin snaking railway tracks on the flats, then I moved to greens and up.
Skiing: falling down the mountain with style.
Smackboy1

Postby Petter_F » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:54 am

Smackboy, thanks for the clip it's a good reminder of where I have to put my efforts. As pointed out by Harld, I have opened up The Essentials and gave a good look at the tipping chapter. I had a day on snow this last weekend, and it revealed how much work it is to tip, in terms of where I am at the moment, what I have not been doing for the last two years and how much is still left until I start getting on track.
Petter_F

Return to Movement Analysis and Video