MA for HighAngles

Re: MA for HighAngles

Postby jepoupatout » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:22 pm

Hi High Angles, I watched your video and my comment is that it will help for your CA to have your inside arm forward. It is clear that at the end of the turn the inside hand is behind so it make you more square . So when you start a new turn just after the pole plant move that new inside hand forward immediately so it will not drag behind. It should help.
Keep the momentum, it is more harmonious that way. Every movement that we do need to be synchronize.

Good luck
jepoupatout

Postby HighAngles » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:46 pm

I thought I'd post up another video with a different take on my skiing. This is GS turns on big skis. Of course the first 3 times I came down this run I never had a bobble, but turn on a video camera, point it at me, and it's bobble city. :x

I decided to throw this one up in half-speed slow motion video:

My main concern these days (beyond still figuring out how to ski all over again) is my stance alignment - primarily issues with my fore/aft. Of course since the vid cam was on, my mind went completely blank as I came down the run, but I have been working hard on the foot pull back. I'm still tending to break at the waist at times to get forward or absorb terrain so I'm wondering if it's me or my setup. Hopefully I'll get all these alignment issues squared away at the race camp, but that's months away.
HighAngles

Postby jepoupatout » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:31 am

Hi HighAngles, my first impression is that you stay in a low position all the time and not using long leg short leg in your movement. Practice the exercises for the long leg/short leg from the essential book to correct it and post again a video to see the change.

Jep
jepoupatout

Postby HighAngles » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:37 am

Grabbed a still from that latest video clip. It's magnified and thus incredibly fuzzy, but body position is still apparent enough.

HighAngles

Postby geoffda » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:24 am

Try shimming your toe piece by 3mm. Ski that for awhile. Then move the shim to your heel. Ski that for awhile. Then go back to your normal setup. Get video of all three. Come skiing with me because I need video of my new setup :D.

I'm still seeing some hip dump--even in the still you can see your hip is leading a little. In one of your turns where you were in front of the camera, you can even see that the inside foot is not leading the tipping. Continue to work on your tipping. Do the drylands so you can try to isolate the sensations of when your tipping is working. On snow try to reproduce those sensations in the static drills & then progress to tipping garlands. Work on not being lazy with your inside foot. Work on letting the kinetic chain to move your hips across. An hour of weighted releases will help with the latter.

You definitely aren't getting forward. I actually think the reason you can't get forward has more to do with your lack of counteracting. Until you can counteract, you don't have anywhere to go; you have to turn your hip in order for your tipping to be able to move forward rather than laterally.

As I've mentioned before (and I struggle with this) if you are too squatty, that helps lock your hips up and makes it very hard to counteract. So figuring out what you need to do to get more upright should be a priority. Besides playing with toe and heel lifts, try skiing standing as upright as you can. Just do brushed turns and don't think about flexing in transition. It should feel really, really weird--which is good. Keep coming back to that.
geoffda

Postby HighAngles » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:25 pm

Currently in Tampa - not much skiing down here. I won't be able to get out for some serious drills again until the first week of March unfortunately.

I like the idea of using temporary shims and flipping positions. I'm going to try to do that and get video of linked 2FRs for comparison.

Goeff - I'm definitely confused by some of your MA. When you said that you see my "hip is leading a little" do you mean the outside hip? I hope so because I was pretty sure that we want our inside hip to lead (and be higher for CB) along with free foot pull back. I agree with your assessment that my inside foot was lazy - I revert to my more ingrained old movements when my mind "goes blank". I clearly need to spend much more time on the drills to make the new movements my own. I am going back to ground zero and this time I'm going to get video of the drills to get feedback on my progress through them.

I'm also assuming that the assessment of my fore/aft is by review of my foot position in relation to my hips. Is there a particular point in the video where this is at its worst and provides a good example of the problem?

My journey continues...
HighAngles

Postby Max_501 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:37 pm

HighAngles wrote:I hope so because I was pretty sure that we want our inside hip to lead (and be higher for CB) along with free foot pull back.

Inside foot leads, inside knee and hip follows. If inside hip leads that is hip dumping which we want to avoid.
Max_501

Postby geoffda » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:06 am

HighAngles wrote:Geoff - I'm definitely confused by some of your MA. When you said that you see my "hip is leading a little" do you mean the outside hip? .

What Max said. While you are rotating (instead of counteracting) so the outside hip is leading in the transverse plane, I'm talking about what is happening in the frontal plane. Look at Harald, Max, JBotti, or Heluva's avatars. In all of those cases you will see that inside hip stays tucked back above the knee. You can draw a straight line along the shin to the knee and and another one from the knee to the hip to see the angle generated. In your case (and I'm specifically referring to the still here), the inside hip is sticking out farther than the knee. The angle looks like this < when it should look like this >. It means you dumped your hip and let it take over. At best it means you got lazy once your hip came across and stopped leading with the inside foot. At worst, it means you pushed off to move the hip across.
geoffda

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:46 am

Geoff, that was a very observant post. Very few professionals would be able to spot that. Your analytical eye is impressive.

The only thing I would add is that this hip "position" blocks tipping - although I think you or Max mentioned it above.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby geoffda » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:07 pm

Thanks Greg. Now what is this "tipping" thing you speak of? :mrgreen:
geoffda

Postby HighAngles » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:19 pm

Geoff - I get what you're saying regarding the angles you're seeing, but I still don't "get it". Clearly my lack of knowledge of PMTS must be at work here. I have watched the videos hundreds of times and read and re-read the books. Still I must not be understanding CA properly. In my mind if I'm counteracting correctly then my inside hip will lead the inside since my pelvis is rotating to face the outside of the turn. What do I need to change to fix what you're referring to? Just when I thought I was understanding this stuff I feel completely lost again.
HighAngles

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:21 pm

I think it is Expert Skier 2 that describes CA as rotation of the pelvis about the spine... it is not rotation of the pelvis around the stance leg.

HeluvaSkier

Postby HighAngles » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:38 pm

So you're saying it's the lack of true CA that is resulting in the position/angles in my still. That if my pelvis were truly in the correct position that my inside hip would not be sticking out further to the inside than my inside knee?
HighAngles

Postby HighAngles » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:39 pm

So hip dumping could be restated as "lateral" movement of the hips to the inside of the turn without the necessary (and appropriate amount) of CA.
HighAngles

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:49 pm

HighAngles wrote:So you're saying it's the lack of true CA that is resulting in the position/angles in my still. That if my pelvis were truly in the correct position that my inside hip would not be sticking out further to the inside than my inside knee?

To the first part - yes. If your CA was 'real' CA you would have no trouble getting bigger angles while keeping the feet back. I think the problem might be coming from the fact that you're treating CA like a position that has to be there in every turn.

Take my avatar, or Harald's avatar as an example (not really sure which one of us demonstrates more CA as the still is from slightly different points in the turn). We are both showing CA, but not trying to do it by pushing the inside hip forward... neither of us have an inside hip that is excessively leading and the inside leg and foot is held back and pulled up as the angles build.

HeluvaSkier

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video