maintain counteracting before tipping

PMTS Forum

maintain counteracting before tipping

Postby Rod9301 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:33 am

on very firm slopes, If i don't maintain the old counteracting before I tip to change edges, i feel that my old stance ski starts to skid.
Does this makes sense?
Rod9301

Re: maintain counteracting before tipping

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:41 am

Yup...and on any slope.

The stronger the CA, the more edge hold you will have, especially at the end of the turn. The firmer the the slope, the more you will be made aware of deficiencies in your essentials.

As I have progresses though my PMTS journey, I have discovered that ALL the essentials are of equal importance. They can all be individually isolated, but are all connected. Each of of us will have strengths and weaknesses in some or all of the essentials..my SMIM this Camp was CA, closely followed by FORE/ AFT..

Drill each essential in isolation and in slow time until it becomes a strength. Before you know it, it becomes a habitual movement pattern.
Last edited by go_large_or_go_home on Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
go_large_or_go_home

Postby tigernbr » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:59 am

Yes. This was an "aha" moment for me in the last camp I attended. It made my skiing so much more relaxed. I have lots of work to do but this helped tremendously.
tigernbr

Postby precisionchiro » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:25 am

Rod9301 wrote:on very firm slopes, If i don't maintain the old counteracting before I tip to change edges, i feel that my old stance ski starts to skid.
Does this makes sense?

Yup. You're on the right track, Rod9301.

This is something that PSIA and USSA is STILL screwing up with their stupid "Plant the pole out by the ski tips to move the hips forward at the start of the turn!"

We were calling that movement the "Demolisher" (of a solid turn) at Tech Camp. (Right, go_large_or_go_home? LOL) A few of us caught ourselves swinging the pole toward the tips and unraveling our grip, edgehold, and tipping to the new edges.

You can watch any slo-mo YouTube video of a World Cup slalom racer, and see them holding CA through flat, until the new edges are engaged in the next turn. Hirscher is one of the best at holding CA.

http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/2018/12/holding-your-counter-acting-what-i-means.html
precisionchiro

Postby ToddW » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:17 am

Rod9301 wrote:on very firm slopes, If i don't maintain the old counteracting before I tip to change edges, i feel that my old stance ski starts to skid.
Does this makes sense?

There’s something wrong with this post. 3 words: I feel that. My tracks clearly show that would be fine. Video indicates that would be fine too. Perception isn’t reality in skiing. It’s a darned good bet that this happens for you on less than “very firm” slopes.

Hike back up a few turns and study your tracks frequently and whenever you consciously make a change in your movements or are puzzled by the feedback you’re perceiving from the snow. Better yet if light conditions are conducive take track pics with your cellphone before they get run over and then study the actual 3-D tracks while replaying the turns in your head. On “very firm” surfaces the absence of a discernible track means you skidded. Both carved and brushed carved turns will leave visible, if faint, signs.

Counter is what makes ski tails grip, especially when you’re pulling back hard to get forward.
ToddW

Re: Develop, create, retain counteracting while releasing.

Postby h.harb » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:05 am

https://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/2019/12/the-transition-in-skiing-is-themes.html

No more needs to be said, you are either doing it right or you are one of the masses doing it wrong.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:06 pm

There is one thing that doesn't demonstrate or properly describe what needs to happen. The title of this thread should read: Develop and create Counteracting and then hold it through the transition. It sounds like nitpicking but go through the words and realize the difference.
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System