PMTS Forum

counter acted before releasing

Postby h.harb » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:22 pm

Leading with the inside hip
Belly Button facing the stance boot
Inside hand over inside ski tip
Pole touch to the side, not toward the tip
Eyes looking down the falline

These are strong characteristics of a excellent finishing stance.
h.harb

Re: tfr - restarting

Postby midwif » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:42 pm

That picture has so much information about correct skiing movements
in it, its disgusting.

disgustingly good. :D
midwif

tfr - restarting

Postby carver_hk » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:32 pm

OK, here is my first step toward restarting learning PMTS. As advised, it's an TFR attempt. Thanks in advance for any help. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXYJJt8HXn0

Harald - Thanks the welcome. I respect that PMTS is an coherent system that there should not be anything added to it in the process of learning. So there are no questions of whether I will discuss technical issues anywhere else before getting a solid technique here.
I love line graphics :)
carver_hk

Postby BigE » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:41 pm

Look at your very first movement... no matter how small. What is it?
BigE

Postby carver_hk » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:14 pm

BigE wrote:Look at your very first movement... no matter how small. What is it?
I simply released by lighten the lower skis, flatten the upper ski(too sudden) , hold on to the pole for support and unwind? :D

edit: what I understand now there should be un-tipping before release.
carver_hk

Postby A.L.E » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:16 am

carver_hk wrote:
BigE wrote:Look at your very first movement... no matter how small. What is it?
I simply released by lighten the lower skis, flatten the upper ski(too sudden) , hold on to the pole for support and unwind? :D

edit: what I understand now there should be un-tipping before release.

Right arm..... :idea:
A.L.E

Postby carver_hk » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:26 am

A.L.E wrote:Right arm..... :idea:
I didn't mean to do anything with the right arm. My guess is my body automatically response to insufficient torque to turn the skis downhill. The arm movement is more like an indication of existence of rotation to me. Now I m pretty anxious to try out what I learn from the feedback on snow. Unfortunately its quite busy at the moment. :D
carver_hk

Postby A.L.E » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:44 am

There is also an up move combined with the arm rotation to help release. Flattening and tipping of the inside ski is all that is required......and be patient for gravity to start the slide.
A.L.E

Postby carver_hk » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:11 am

A.L.E wrote:There is also an up move combined with the arm rotation to help release. Flattening and tipping of the inside ski is all that is required......and be patient for gravity to start the slide.
Yes, I can see the upmove too. Its seems the upmove/arm rotation pair up to help the release. But wrt to BigE's question is this the very first movement or is it subsequent movement? :D
carver_hk

Postby Icanski » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:36 am

Speaking of stickers from the other thread: I think that picture above, maybe in black with PMTS' website, and the words: "Expert skiing" on it would be slick.
Now, back to the discussion.
Icanski
Icanski

Postby h.harb » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:44 am

This is a great learning opportunity for everyone. It's still about lack of tipping isn't it, or no release tipping? You can easily see that HK has to twist his body because his edges are not releasing. His skis are holding, there is no attempt to relax the legs and flatten the skis. He is not letting gravity take his skis. Compare his release to the video clips I posted.

The TFR is a sumation of movements, not an exercsie to be developing. It is a test for you Essential abilities. You have to have the components built in first. Go back to the Essentials Tipping DVD and watch the beginning where forward side slip is introduced. In TST you grab a maneuver like pivot slips and continue to engrain bad habits with these maneuvers. PMTS is not built that way. We have every essential step figured out. EVERY SEPERATE MOVEMENT (Essentials) CAN BE LEARNED IN AN EASY UNTHREATENING WAY. TST can't do this, because they don't have valid Essentials in their system.. They SEND YOU OFF INTO A ZONE OF DEFEAT.

This is the real basic problem with TTS, they don't teach tipping, so they substitute it with twisting, they even admit it. The proof is right in front of our faces, (HK's video) you can never become an expert skier without tipping ability in both directions, off the edges and on to the edges. These movements have to happen before the hip and body start to incline or lean to one side or the other. CA has to be subtle at first, for the transition, then it can increase as forces and tipping build.

Look, this is not rocket science, this is just plain physics and biomechanics. TST advocates have no idea of the reality of skiing. The BBs, Fastman crowd, don't ski well enough to release and they therefore don't realize the importance of valid Essentials, , therefore in my opinion, they are screwing skiers up and have been for decades. What could be more clear than this. In my opinion, TST (Traditional Ski Teaching) which includes PSIA, CSIA and the rest, are screwing up your skiing. No race coach worth his gate wrench, teaches what ski instructors teach, come on, when will people wake up. This is no longer a revelation.
h.harb

Postby BigE » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:05 am

It is that simple: without a clean release there can be no expert skiing.

h.harb wrote:TST advocates have no idea of the reality of skiing. The BBs, Fastman crowd, don't ski well enough to release and they therefore don't realize the importance of valid Essentials, , therefore in my opinion, they are screwing skiers up and have been for decades. What could be more clear than this. In my opinion, TST (Traditional Ski Teaching) which includes PSIA, CSIA and the rest, are screwing up your skiing. No race coach worth his gate wrench, teaches what ski instructors teach, come on, when will people wake up. This is no longer a revelation.

VERY VERY TRUE.

If you want to learn to ski, learn to race. Unfortunately, "turning the feet" has become the rule, even in the CSCF.
BigE

Postby h.harb » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:47 pm

Unfortunately there are many bad race coaches out there, even those with credentials like: "former world cup racer". Look at the carp TDK posted, or sorry, I should have said don't look at that crap. At least that stuff was so bad that the You-Tube comments were correctly exposing how bad it is.
h.harb

Postby carver_hk » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:01 pm

This is a vid(taken 21st Jan 2009) before I committed to learn pivoting. Obviously there are no CA to start the release. What else? and how does it compare with my latest tfr? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10h-rrvpIJE
carver_hk

Postby h.harb » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:46 pm

This was a better release, less upper body twisting.
h.harb

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System