Skis for my 4 year old?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Skis for my 4 year old?

Postby Rob » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:01 am

I discovered PMTS about a week ago. Bought the book and DVD and finally understand why I was stuck in mediocreville. I can't lose the wedge, I was trying to steer with my legs and body, my balance was all wrong and, .......................................... etc.. Anyway, I haven't been this excited about skiing in a long time. I will be starting from scratch and doing all the exercises while spending time with my daughter. It can't get any better than that.

My 4 year old daughter has taken 4 lessons and is learning the wedge. She doesn't quite have the musle control and strength to hold the wedge with out the :evil: edgie wedgie. She is loving it, and I already see her pulling the inside ski in, so now I want to teach her to turn, but first she needs skis.

What length?
She is 44 inches tall. Do I go with the recommendations of chin height or shorter? I'd like to get 2 years out of them, but resign myself to knowing I probalbly need to keep them short this year.

How agressive a side cut and radius?
Some of the possibliities in the local shop:
Blizzard Blizzzi 70,80,90 radius 6M(90cm)
Head Sweet Thang 91,65,84 radius 5.3m(87cm)
Head XRC 50 103/65/88 radius 5.3m(87cm)
K2 Luv Bug 95,70,91

Thanks in advance for any input.

Rob.
Life is a lesson, you learn it when you're through.
Rob

Postby Max_501 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:26 pm

I kept my kids around chin length for the first year. The two heads you have listed above look decent.
Max_501

Postby Rob » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:13 pm

Thanks Max,

I am guessing by selecting the two Head skis that I should be looking for skis with the smallest radius and greatest sidecut??? Or will they be turning too quick for a 4 year old??

Thanks again.
Rob

Postby Max_501 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:35 pm

Rob wrote:Thanks Max,

I am guessing by selecting the two Head skis that I should be looking for skis with the smallest radius and greatest sidecut??? Or will they be turning too quick for a 4 year old??

Thanks again.

I started my youngest at 5 and taught him PMTS. If you are going to focus on PMTS then I think those Heads would be a good fit because they should turn quite nicely. If you are going to teach something else...well then I'm not sure.
Max_501

Postby Rob » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:07 pm

Max_501 wrote:I started my youngest at 5 and taught him PMTS. If you are going to focus on PMTS then I think those Heads would be a good fit because they should turn quite nicely. If you are going to teach something else...well then I'm not sure.

PMTS. That is why I am here. I got stuck in the wedge and couldn't quite get out. I know how hard is to break out of the wedge and I see it my friends and their kids who have had about 4 years of lessons. I plan on following the book exercises for both myself and my daughter. If I can get her (and myslef) to turn correctly life will be grand.

Thanks for the input.
Rob

Postby Icanski » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:29 am

I teach kids everyday and our rental shop will send out ten kids with shaped skis and then two or three with older straight skis. Our CSIA school teaches them wedge and the straight skis are very easy for the kids to keep in a wedge, they just slide along and tip the foot in or out (I say tip rather than knee) and stop easily when tipped, but they have a terrible time trying to turn and really have to get out over that ski and put maximum pressure on it to turn it, and lots of (sorry for the term) pivoting.
The kids on the shaped skis get them to turn easily but have a hard time holding the wedge without the tips crossing, because when edge the skis want to turn, of course.
I often offer an alternative choice with a stepped turns, a la, PMTS as another way to turn. many of them pick it up very quickly and switch to it as the day goes no because it's not nearly as tiring.
Many kids here skate (it is Canada, right) and have good balance and the ability to transfer weight from foot to foot. When I get a private lessonI often do PMTS with them, if the parents agree. They are often able to move quickly forward. The toughest thing is the release to sideslip and for kids who have had wedge training, the sideslip is tough. (see the thread about kids I wrote).
If your kids are just starting and still growing, they'll grow out of skis pretty soon, maybe in a season. I'd start them with a shorter ski, which helps them turn more easily, and as they get better and bigger with more strength, move them to the ones that are around nose height. Look at the skis on the PMTS video for beginning adults, they're not much bigger than snow blades.
Icanski
Icanski

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:08 am

ICanSki,

Thanks.

I had seen that post you recommended and thanks to you and Max I am convinced I can teach my daughter to turn without the wedge. I plan on concentrating heavily on chapter 2. I will start out in my living room and if we ever get more snow, then I work with her in the backyard. The hard part will be making sure the exercises are fun. I know she is going to just want to keep going up to the top of the bunny slope, most of which is too steep for side slipping and stepped turns.

Is it popular consensus that poles are a good idea at that age? It seems to me they would help tremendously in practicing sideslip and rolling on edges.

Thanks for the input. Everything I know about "proper" technique came from PMTS. The exercises and your feedback make be believe I can do this. I can't do any worse then letting her learn through the wedge.

Thanks again.
Rob.
Rob

Postby Ourayite » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:47 pm

Rob,

My daughters are 4 and 2 1/2. I bought them both Head skis and they are about chin high on them. The oldest is in a ski program at Telluride that teaches wedge prgression and she has had no problems wedging, or learning to turn parallel with me.

Got the skis and bindings new on E-Bay for around 130.00 with shipping.

I think poles are NOT a good idea at this age. Just complicates things and gives you more pieces to pick up.

Don
Ourayite

Return to Gear