Women's WC - Kathrin Zettel

PMTS Forum

Women's WC - Kathrin Zettel

Postby tommy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:24 am

Having watched a few WC races lately, I've been quite impressed by Kathrin Zettel's skiing: she looks so light & agile on snow, always in balance, sking with the same type of ease that Kostelic does (asop to Anja, who's skiing is more based on strength and power).

Also, she's got good results (except yesterday): 5th or better in 8 consecutive races...

--T
tommy

Postby RadRab » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:23 am

Bs"D

Good point Tommy (Zettle and Kostelic vs Anja, and I'll add even Schild, even though Schild is tearing up the Slalom results and she does have, in my opinion a better farther forward balance than Zettle).

But I still think that kostelic is in a league of her own. She is the most PMTS like and the one we can and should most emulate for high level free skiing.

BTW, her second run in the Zagreb SL was absolutely amazing - she lost one pole and glove at the first or second gate and still had a blazing time - in balance all the way.
RadRab

Postby tommy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:35 am

But I still think that kostelic is in a league of her own.

Agreed!

In fact, Anja, when interviewed after Kostelic's Zagreb race said that there is no one else on the circuit who could have done what Kostelic did - Kostelic's balance and techique is according to her superior to anyone elses.

--T
tommy

Postby RadRab » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:44 pm

Bs"D

Thanks for that little tidbit.
Non-skiing point: I really love those kinds of human stories. It is heart warming to see such a rival - and the overall winner the last two times around who might want to defend her alleged superiority - openly giving such superlative credit where due. I'm sure that Kostelic appreciated it too.

For us, additional support/evidence that she is the one to watch.
RadRab

Postby Nazgul » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:10 pm

Hello,

I uploaded for you a couple of nice "Behind the scenes" movies by Janica Kostelic. I also put subtitles in the movies (Olympics 2002 ? Slalom and Olympics 2002 ? Combination) so you can understand what they talking about. All you have to do is put view size on orginal because if it's smaller the subtitles are hard to read. Still don't have torino 2006 material but the games are not over yet so if Janica win some more gold I'll probably put some video for you.

Zagreb 2006: Slalom run without glove and pole
This is slalom run from Zagreb 2006 where Janica lost glove and pole after 1st gate. Still she managed to finish in front with 1.90sec., (3rd at the end) but she injured herself a little coz she had to kick the poles with bare hand. Nice video for tehnique presentation too.

Olympics 2002: Slalom (Behind the scenes)
This is "behind the scenes" movie so you can see preparations for slalom, tension in finish area, instructions/comments for the run from Ante Kostelic and a little celebration at the end. Very nice movie.

Olympics 2002: Combination (Behind the scenes)
This is more like homage then behind the scenes action for combination run but also very nice. It explain her goal to win Olympic gold in combination, and very nice emotions from Ante Kostelic after the race ("This is the end. This is the end. The dream is over, now I can wake up").

Kind regards :wink:
Nazgul

Postby SLAVA » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:17 am

thanks for the videos
skiing with one pole and glove was amazing!
DOCENDO DISCIMUS.
SLAVA

Postby JohnMoore » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:20 am

The one who impressed me most in the slaloms of the Combined was Monica Bergman-Schmuderer. Anyone else notice her? Lovely fluid movement, very athletic and graceful (and fast). Can't really say how PMTS it was, though.
JohnMoore

Postby JohnMoore » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:22 am

JohnMoore wrote:The one who impressed me most in the slaloms of the Combined was Monica Bergman-Schmuderer. Anyone else notice her? Lovely fluid movement, very athletic and graceful (and fast). Can't really say how PMTS it was, though.

I'm talking about the Olympics here, of course, not the WC races this thread started out talking about.
JohnMoore

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System