Started with 2, finished with 1

PMTS Forum

Started with 2, finished with 1

Postby Heyoka » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:10 am

So I'm making turns at the Beav yesterday. It's been snowing, so two others and I decide to hike off the Bald Spot. The Bald Spot is out of bounds, about a 15 minute walk outside the ski area. Before I get started, here's a clue where this is going:

1) None of us had a shovel
2) None of us had a beacon
3) None of us had powder straps

We get to where we wanted to go, start to drop in. It's waist deep snow in spots. The two guys I was with skied below me and I lost track of their line. I had never been back there before, so I didn't really know where we were going.

Then, I fell. I fell in a steep chute. I tumbled down, stopped by a tree. My skis had come off, only 1 was showing. But the snow was so deep, that the more I moved the more I sank. I was in tree well. I started to panic. Then, I thought about the guy who cut off his arm. I told myself to calm down.

I pulled myself up the tree, it was ugly. The two guys I was with were gone. I look up hill, the snow was waist deep to bottomless and it was steep. If you've ever been in snow so deep that you sink, you know how scary it is. It's like quick sand. I looked around. What used to look so beatuiful to me, all that milk, was now the scariest of sites. I was looking at my coffin.

I'm in the middle of the woods, it's getting dark. I got one ski, I'm hanging on to dear life by a tree limb. I start to ask for forgiveness for my sins and I pray to God.

I look around and see that I skied (or attempted to ski) on a rock face. Where I fell was a slab of rock and tree stumps. I must have hit something underneath. So I start to think the snow is going to slide down the rock face. Oh God, I'm in trouble. I think about my family. I first call for help, then I call my wife. Luckily, my cell phone worked. One of the guys answers. But it was 3:30 now, getting dark. The lifts were closed. Since I was in the back country, the only way I was getting out would have been Search and Rescue. Got, to get out of here.

I started to dig for my ski, but was worried that I would cause a slide. So I stopped. Once I figured out I wasn't going to have 2 skis I got even more scared. Holy Mother of Moses, what have I done?

Meanwhile back at the lift, that was closed, the two guys explained the situation to the liftie. That "...there's a guy stuck out there on the Bald Spot, we gotta go get him. You gotta turn the lift back on so we can go get him". Now keep in mind that turning a lift back on after closing at Beaver Creek is akin to asking the flight attendant to open the door after it's been closed. It ain't gonna happen.

But yesterday wasn't my time. The liftie, whom I'm going to find, starts up the lift, lets them on. But ski patrol is waiting at the top and has a cow. Ski Patrol don't care about customers whom are lost out of bounds. They just laugh about it, over coffee. What they were pissed about, was two guys on the hill after closing.

I'm gonna find that liftie. He/she actually started the lift, let the two guys on to come get me. My first good luck. They call, tell me they're on the way. I start to feel better now, but I'm wondering who's gonna get there first; the avalanche, or the two guys.

4:15 or so, they come back and find me, using a cell phone as a beacon. They come down to where I am, take me out of there to some snow mobiles waiting. I get the free ride down holding one ski and shaking like a hooker at confession, but I'm alive.

I'm alive, thankful for life. But I'm also upset. Upset at myself for doing something so stupid. Upset at myself for being so selfish, for taking chances on making my wife a widow. People who like danger are selfish, they only think of themselves. I don't want to be like "that", I want nothing to do with others who think like that.

So where are the mistakes, the lessons?

1) The back country will eat you alive. It's really dangerous.
It looks really great. You see all this milk, it looks safe. It's not. It's very dangerous and just about everybody I see that goes out there -- myself included -- thinks they're above the danger. What I used to see as an opportunity for milk, I now see as a very good chance to die.

2) Don't hang with hacks.
The two guys I was with are considered to be "great" skiers. One is a champion. Neither of them had any back country gear; no shovel, beacon, water, nothing. They just go out there and "rip it up". They had no business going out there under those conditions and they knew it.

But that being said, they could have left me out there. They did do the right thing at the right time, which was to come back for me.

3) Never ski deep snow (inbounds) without the right gear.
I had my i supershapes. They were fine, but I had the bindings set too low; 8.5. For snow that deep, you need to crank your DIN settings up.

Powder straps. From here forward, I will forever carry a pair. Not for going out of bounds, I'm done with that. But for skiing deeper snow inbounds. A $4 powder strap just might save you $800 bucks -- or save your butt. I quit wearing mine because -- none of my "buddies" wear them. Stupid.

4) Only ski the back country with those you know for sure are professional and knowledgeable. Anyone with any real experience in the back country would never go back there unprepared like we were. Never. We were an accident waiting to happen, it did.

5) Going out the gate is not a badge of honor.
I'm not going to tell anyone to stay out of the back country. But I'll say this. I see lots of skiers, in fact just about everyone I see back there, is not prepared for a problem. They don't have any gear, some are alone. Going out the gate has become "cool". Warren Miller has made taking risks, skiing "big lines" -- cool. Fat skis are cool. What no one seems to be talking about, are the dangers.

No matter how good a skier one is, no one is above Mother Nature. Back there you have no idea what's underneath. If you fall, you could fall a long ways. You could get buried by snow or fall into a tree well. You could ski over a creek bed and it collapses. Now you're in water. There are so many variables back there, each turn could bring you closer to disaster. They don't show the problems in the Warren Miller movies. They don't show what one slip -- just one slip -- can lead to, the disaster that could happen. All they show is skiers skiing these great lines. Any more it seems like the prevailing attitude is that all one needs is some fat skis and things will be great. No one makes a big enough deal about how dangerous that gate is. Just getcha some fatties and life will be great.

6) If you're gonna go, make sure your safety is number 1.
Never let someone go back there who isn't prepared. They're not being prepared could make for a long day for all and put others in danger.

Make sure you go with an experienced guide, not some local hack who's been living in the area for years or some jerk on the chair who "knows the good lines".

7) Skiing is a very dangerous sport.
Never forget it. Always, respect it. No amount of training, no equipment, no type of ski instruction can replace what is real and that what I for one, had forgot -- that just how dangerous skiing really is.

Skiing is so dangerous. You must be very careful at all times you must respect it. There I was just the other day, thinking I'm King Friggin Tut, leading the Hollywood starlet down the hill. Now, I'm in the woods, hanging on for dear life. I'm feel pretty dumb now, going on like I have not respecting the sport. I vow to not let it happen again.

########

Myself, I'm making a few changes.

I'm not skiing with "those guys" anymore. We're bad for each other. I need to somehow feed my jonez, but turn down the radio.

A few powder turns aren't worth dying for. Now I know why the ski patrol shakes their head, every time they see someone -- anyone -- going out there.

I brought my other ski home with me. It now sits where I can see it every day. I'll look at it every day, to remind me.

I hope someone out there reads this and relates. This post has helped me to think how stupid I was, have been. I'm really sorry honey, I won't do it again, I promise you. I know how my family depends on me and I'll never put you all at risk again. God, please forgive me for being so damned selfish.

But this post is for you too. Just maybe, it'll save your life.

Happy New Year,
Last edited by Heyoka on Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Heyoka

add this

Postby Heyoka » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:54 am

Every "good" skier can relate to going out the gate, getting those epic turns. But now that I know what can happen out there, I think it's irresponsible and selfish of me to take those kinds of risks. I have a family to provide for. For me, there's plenty of great turns to be made inbounds.

Now, to be sure, yesterday could have been avoided. If I had a powder strap, it would have way increased my chances of getting out of there safely. I'd probably have 2 i supershapes today, instead of 1. It also could have been avoided by skiing with professionals, who really know what they're doing.

But none of this takes away from the dangers that lie just beneath all that milk -- the milk that I've wrote about, the milk I love. The milk I'm addicted to.

I think, one just has to ask themselves if a few powder turns are really worth dying over. Say what you want. But the minute you go through that gate is the minute you've way upped the ante -- on dyin. Because just beneath all that milk truly lies the unknown. Make one wrong turn and you're going down. Once you go down back there, all kinds of bad stuff can happen -- you might not get back up. If you're comfortable with that, have at it.

I dunno. I think God would be pissed, if I we died over a few powder turns.

God:
"So. You went out the gate. Did you read the signs? You dumb ass. What about your wife and kid? Did you think about them? No, you didn't. All you thought about were those turns, that you love so much. Yeah? Well, see what happened?

"Then, how could you have been so stupid? You weren't prepared, you were with a couple of clowns. What, were you thinking?

"Heyoka, you're fired!"

Myself, the day I see the man, well -- let's just say I don't want it to go down like this.
Last edited by Heyoka on Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Heyoka

Postby Tommi » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:16 am

Welcome back!
You really learned a lesson.
Thanks for having the balls to tell this story, we'll learn too.
Tommi

Postby RadRab » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:31 am

Bs"D

Whoa! Whooaa! Serious stuff Hey-Yikes!-oka.

Our buddy Paul is now 97% more mature/smart/humble/religious/wise than the rest.

It takes a big man to come this clean. Thank you very very much for sharing this all with us. Here, we aren't laughing. Here you have grown in our eyes.

I just don't understand the part about: "Then, I fell". :wink:

Hey, we love you. Stay alive!
Now don't forget this. Just don't let the shock ware off, and slip back to foolishness. I'm sure you won't.

For now on you are: "Heyoka the White"
RadRab

Postby Ott Gangl » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:35 am

Great post ,Paul, there are too many of us who want you alive and healthy, keep looking at that ski as a reminder.

Glad to have you back.

....Ott
Ott Gangl

Postby milesb » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:37 am

Glad you're all right. Nice to have cell service available in the BC!
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

you too

Postby Heyoka » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:39 am

You guys have all been there. You've all skied the killer lines, you're junkies just like I am. Admit it. You've all been one step away from where I was yesterday. I know how you are, cuz I'm that way too. You think, "I'm not going to fall".

We're all, junkies.

How far will we push ourselves? Ski a tighter line, steeper line, go faster, make that one turn. Hike up there, get some. We just keep looking for that "killer" line. Killer, being the operative word.

I have to back it down. Or else, I'm going to find that one line that I never want to find. My wife has made me promise to her I won't do it anymore. I promised her before, it didn't work. I can't, you shouldn't either, unless a few good turns are all that matters. Or unless your wife says it's okay to risk your life while skiing.
Heyoka

Powder Leashes

Postby DVLocal » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:49 am

Here is a site to buy powder leashes.

I had been looking at engineer tape for the same purpose and decided on these.

http://ecom1.sno-ski.com/product81.html
DVLocal

Postby SLAVA » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:25 pm

Happy New Year and happy birthday Paul!

I?m glad you made it out.
I happed ski yesterday Mt. Bachelor in the waist deep snow in the trees.
My Weight is 178 pounds. My DIN set on all my skies at 10
I jumped and lended on steep pitch with very deep snow my ski come off like it was only set at 5!
I found my self stock in the powder up to my chest. Luckily NW milk is a bit havy so I was able to dig my self out. And other luck was that my ski was visible from the snow.

You have to tight them up to 10 Bro! it would be perfect for you are a bigger guy!

I have to confess. 77000 of vertical skied in 4 last days at mt. Bachelor were the most of my powder skiing ever! It was unforgettable experience especially yesterday when me and my friends made one of the first tracks at NW express!
DOCENDO DISCIMUS.
SLAVA

Postby violao » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:20 pm

Welcome back from the unknown, Heyoka.

It must be the similar feeling the divers have when they come up to the surface after some terrible accident down in the deep. Lucky for you there were no snow sharks around. Oh, and BTW many experienced and even professional divers do drown. Most of the times noone ever finds about the cause. Take care.
Last edited by violao on Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
violao

Congratulations to "those guys"

Postby Jim Ratliff » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:09 pm

SCSA:

Wow, another close call (remembering A-Basin last year). You certainly have an angel looking over your shoulder, keeping you safe.

And a big congratulations for "those guys" who assumed responsibility for you, and who went the extra mile to come back and help. It would have been real easy to just report it to ski patrol or search and rescue or to give up when the lifts were closed or to assume that you would be able to get out on your own. That's a wonderful level of responsibility toward their "fellow man." Many times we have to be a "band of brothers" and/or our "brother's keeper."
Jim Ratliff

Postby jbotti » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:06 pm

Heyoka,

With the child on the way, there really is only one message for you to take away from this, Never Again!!

Glad you are safe. Thanks for sharing.

Keep that ski where you can see it before you walk out to ski everyday. You will learn to love and appreciate that ski. JB.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

follow up...

Postby Heyoka » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:59 pm

I hope I'm not coming off as a whiner. Had this happened inbounds, it's a non-issue.

I'm only trying to point out the unnecessary dangers some of us take while skiing. Trying to point that the mountain will bite back, no matter who you are or how accomplished a skier one is.

Back country gates are opening up, that's great. Just don't be a fool. We had no business going out there under those conditions. I almost paid for it.

I take full responsibility, as I told them today. I'm a big guy, skiing is a dangerous sport. I could have been smart enough to turn around, to say, "No thanks". I wasn't. Why? Because I'm full of adrenaline, just like all the other junkies out there. Hey man, don't let it happen. Don't let your adrenaline take over your common sense.

As I say. I used to look at back country gates as an entrance to more milk, to the goods. Now that I've seen what can happen, I see back country gates entirely differently. I see kids going out there every day now. No equipment, some go alone. It's nutzo. It's unbelievable, the lack of respect most have for the terrain or the conditions.

What we love the most is probably a suspect here. We all want better skis, better performing skis. Why? So we can make better turns, so we can rip better lines. We all want more terrain to open up, so we can make better use of our fat skis and new found skills. We're just so into getting our jonez, that we lose focus of what can happen out there. "Go for it", is our calling card.

Don't try to keep up with the "Jonez's". Let 'em go.

One more thing. My two "dudes" did give it up for me. Yes, I think they're dangerous and reckless. But, they're not hacks. They really are great skiers -- they just really like to live on the edge. Hey man, that's up to them; never judge another Indian till you've walked a mile in their moccasins.

They came back for me, they risked it all -- again -- to come back and help me. Some would have left me there. I can't ski with them anymore because we're bad for each other. But I'll never forget them, that's for sure. I'd help either of them move -- in the middle of the night with no advance notice. Even pay for the move. They taught me that if I'm ever in the same situation, what's the right thing to do. They came through when it mattered most. Here's to you, fellas. I owe ya.

You think it can't/won't happen, you're wrong. Because just beneath all that beautiful milk...
Heyoka

Re: follow up...

Postby Max_501 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:25 am

Heyoka wrote:I hope I'm not coming off as a whiner. Had this happened inbounds, it's a non-issue.

There are plenty of hidden places inbounds (that are offpiste) that can get you into trouble. If you are skiing alone you have to be very careful the second you decide to go offpiste. There are places on certain mountains that I won't ski alone because I know that ski patrol would never find me if I went down and was unable to ski out. I used to ski them alone but last year I had a scare and decided enough of being stupid about it.
Max_501

Postby milesb » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:03 am

See what happens when you are unfaithful to your bumps? Bring flowers, maybe they'll give you a second chance.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System