Harald could you post a 10-15 seconds of yourself skiing?

PMTS Forum

Harald could you post a 10-15 seconds of yourself skiing?

Postby Mr. T » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:36 am

In an Italian forum, someone is saying that it is impossible to ski well unless one keeps his or her legs sort of wide. I beg to differ, but instead of entering a useless and tiring battle of words, could you post here a video that I could then post over on the Italian site. Then, people will decide by themselves. I find this more scientific. Thank you.

Mr. T
Last edited by Mr. T on Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. T

Postby Tommi » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:11 am

See classic threads:
Examples of short High C turns.
there are links to videos

hope this helps,

T2
Tommi

Postby Mr. T » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:09 am

I found one video that claims this is HH on this forum.
http://www.web.pdx.edu/~petersj/Skills/Lessons.htm

http://www.web.pdx.edu/~petersj/Skills/ ... Turns2.bmp

I watch the short video several times, but I cannot believe this is HH.
I see knees coming apart, some mild A frames, the distance between the legs does not seem his usual, the poles don't flow elegantly as usual. I am confused... unless he was on very wide skis, he is not so nice to watch as I remember HH skiing. If HH was on wide skis, then I have to take off my hat, ehm.. my helmet, but if one does not know that, the impression is not the very best, I must honestly say.
Last edited by Mr. T on Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. T

Postby NoCleverName » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:17 am

I can't exactly run it frame-by-frame, but it looks like some of the "defects" are due to the video quality and some due to the camera angle. I'm not sure one is supposed to expect Stein Erickson here, either, as lock-knees aren't part of the program.
NoCleverName

Postby Tommi » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:25 am

Video is not the same as live.

I have unfortunately not (yet) seen Harald ski except on video, but I have seen one of his students skee, and that really opened my eyes. My perception of my own skills changed. I can do NOTHING on skis. YET. But I'm learning..

T2
Tommi

Postby RadRab » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:34 am

Bs"D
Mr.T,
You are intitled to your opinion, and, actually, I commend you for not only questioning the master, but expressing it (and he is not perfect!). However, I do think you were closer to the truth when you also admited that you are confused. You are not positive that this is bad, or worse skiing, so you are still open. Hopefully, your question will lead to clarity.
If you want the best answer you really will have to wait for HH himself, but to sort of hold you over I will make an amatuer attempt.
First of all, understand that this was a series of pretty short and pretty aggressive high angle racing turns. They were not all out full angle WC Slalom turns, but not more relaxed free skiing either.
In my opinion, HH does sometimes look less elegant in this form, but certainly not out of form. Take a look at his 2 videos. He always looks great in them all over the mountain - and with what you call a narrower stance. In this (non-edited) "racing" series, he is still using proper PMTS/HH technique and very effectively carving up the side of that hill as he remains in great balance.
I don't see any A-frame. The extra width that you see may be misleading. When one makes higher angle more dynamic turns - using upper body countering movements, there will have to be the correct verticle seperation of the feet. The legs will still be fairly close, but the skis will have a seperation. You must retract the inside free foot to make room and let your body drop into the turn. Take a look at the picture accompanying Harald's post here. The ski are apart on the snow, but his legs are fairly close together. His inside boot is very close to his stance leg's knee. It is a verticle seperation of the feet, not what is taught elsewhere. You will find on recent threads many pictures of WC racers doing the same.
Watch the "Carving" section again from Video 2.
There may be less than usual of a return to narrow between turns (where the new inside ski draws close to the new stance ski through the fall line), but it is still there. Look at the accompaning montage next to the video clip.
See ya
RadRab

Postby Max_501 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:01 am

I'n not sure, but I think I remember HH or SkierSynergy saying that HH was using the IM88 in those clips.
Max_501

Postby Mr. T » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:02 am

If HH was using the Monster i.M88, then definitely I can appreciate what he is doing here. Yet, I do not see the usual elegant and harmonius style Harald has spoiled us with. I am honest, looking at this video, I would have never said the skier is HH himself. I can appreciate the deep angles he creates in these few turns (one of his trademarks) but there is not the same elegance I have become accustomed to see him skiing with. Of course it is different driving two SUVs down the slope instead of a couple of slim sport cars.
Mr. T

Postby NoCleverName » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:58 am

Mr. T wrote:... but there is not the same elegance I have become accustomed to see him skiing with.

Damn, if that's him on an off day, he must be pretty sick when he's on!
NoCleverName

Postby Mr. T » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:23 am

Indeed. If you see him skiing you become spoiled. That is why I am so picky. I assume he is on fat skis, tools on which most of us trying to do the same would look at best like trained seals. :roll:
Mr. T

Postby Coach » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:30 am

He looked "on" to me in most of those clips. Put another way, I wish that type of skiing represented my "off" days.
Coach
Coach

Postby Mr. T » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:49 am

That is all fine. I am not interested in a topic about on and off days of skiing. HH himself taught me to look at certain components of skiing. I have done that and my impression is that this is not HH at his best for whatever reason. I am not interested in pursuing this topic any further. The original thread was a request which may be fulfilled or not. Period. The first reply made sense. I went looking around, found something and stated that in my honest opinion it was not the best sequence I've seen from HH. Then we have got into sort of hijacking of the thread like it seems to always happen in every forum on earth, and instead of being able to post in the forum in Italy to prove the point, I found myself reading and replying to topics that were not part of the very specific title.

I asked a friend of mine, also keen on PMTS who also spent many hours on HH's videos to take a look and he had my same surprise reaction. Anybody who has spent hours on the books' videos cannot but notice a difference. This is not a criticism to HH whom he knows I respect very much, but a consideration. I have still a 20/20 eyesight and a very strong kinestetic sense..
Mr. T

Postby NoCleverName » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:44 am

Mr. T wrote:... Then we have got into sort of hijacking of the thread like it seems to always happen in every forum on earth, and instead of being able to post in the forum in Italy to prove the point, I found myself reading and replying to topics that were not part of the very specific title.

Mr. T, Mr. T, take it easy on us! If you didn't want public reaction to a request meant specifically for HH, maybe you should have used private communication rather than a public forum? And HH did eventually get in there to say nothing better is really availlable right now. And honestly, only HH should have the right to say what pix of him should be posted online, not some private individual who happens to have a little video lying around.

But I wouldn't be too disappointed. You can always say, "well, here's what the TTS boys are proud of" versus, "sorry, not at HH's best". I'd have no problem with the comparison.
NoCleverName

Take a "T"

Postby Heyoka » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:06 pm

T,

Those turns are Harald on the i88's. What's wrong with the turns? He's making quick turns on a fat ski.

He's on the 175, btw.
Heyoka

Postby Mr. T » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:02 am

NoCleverName.. don't you think you are going over the top?
Last edited by Mr. T on Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. T

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System