Tuning Head Skis (what bevel?)

PMTS Forum

Tuning Head Skis (what bevel?)

Postby Sidney » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:36 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know what the factory bevel (base side and lateral) is for a pair of Head Monster IM70's?

I need to do my first full tune on my ski's in two weeks.

Thanks.

Sidney
Sidney

Postby bejes » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:54 am

Sidney,
I would probably for aus go 1 base and 2 side.
My new fischers i ramped up to 3 on the side, which give more grip on ice etc. The im 75's i have were about 2 when i measured them (new).

This will do for most conditions. I think HH goes 3 or 4 on the side and maybe down to .5 on the base.
Though he doesn't have much edges left.. The problem is your edge isn't as durable at more accute angles.
I have found online edgetune http://www.edgetune.com which looks very interesting. If anyone has experience with this compared to hand tune, pleae share. It is probably cheaper than all the gear i have racked up.
PMTS: Green
bejes

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:11 pm

Thanks Bejes,

I have a manual tune kit which has a 2degree bevel for the side tuning, but i dont have anything for base tuning. I'll be skiing mostly overseas however and only doing a handful of days locally. I headed down to Thredbo and Perisher last weekend and managed to do more damage to my edges in 2 days than in 3 weeks in Colorado.

Do you know of any good tuners in NSW? Jindy Sports seem to have the gear for it.

Cheers,
Sidney

bejes wrote:Sidney,
My new fischers i ramped up to 3 on the side, which give more grip on ice etc. The im 75's i have were about 2 when i measured them (new).

This will do for most conditions. I think HH goes 3 or 4 on the side and maybe down to .5 on the base.
Though he doesn't have much edges left.. The problem is your edge isn't as durable at more accute angles.
I have found online edgetune http://www.edgetune.com which looks very interesting. If anyone has experience with this compared to hand tune, pleae share. It is probably cheaper than all the gear i have racked up.

Postby Sidney » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:11 pm

That was me above...

Sidney
Sidney

Postby bejes » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:25 am

I got a 1 degree toko base guide. Was about 90$aud so expensive, solid aluminium though. Generally you should'nt do your base edges much anyway, i usually take any nicks off with just the diamond stone.
Tell me about the damage australia does! Love the rocks in the bump runs, just hidden so you can't see them. :lol:
I had my heads done at Jindy sports last year, excellent job. Winterstieger ceramic grind, and much cheaper than in sydney. Only about 50$ i think.
Other option is you just get the base ground and do the edges yourself.
If you keep even just your side edges sharp and bases waxed, that will be better than 80% of skis on the hill.
Hopefully I might fly back in sept for a ski, might see you on the slopes.!
bejes

Postby Sidney » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:17 pm

Cool, looks like Jindy sports might be the go. Let me know if you head down to Perisher/Thredbo, I'm heading over to New Zealand for a week's skiing next week but I will be down in Perisher/Thredbo, mid August and early Sept.

Cheers,
Sidney

bejes wrote:I got a 1 degree toko base guide. Was about 90$aud so expensive, solid aluminium though. Generally you should'nt do your base edges much anyway, i usually take any nicks off with just the diamond stone.
Tell me about the damage australia does! Love the rocks in the bump runs, just hidden so you can't see them. :lol:
I had my heads done at Jindy sports last year, excellent job. Winterstieger ceramic grind, and much cheaper than in sydney. Only about 50$ i think.
Other option is you just get the base ground and do the edges yourself.
If you keep even just your side edges sharp and bases waxed, that will be better than 80% of skis on the hill.
Hopefully I might fly back in sept for a ski, might see you on the slopes.!
Sidney

Postby Sidney » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:08 pm

Does anyone know how many times you can base grind as well as edge sharpen ski's before you start running out of material?

I was told by a shop tech that you can only get about 3 base grinds out of a pair of skis. I haven't done a base grind yet but I have had my edges machine sharpened twice.

Sidney
Sidney

Postby WTFH » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:48 pm

I would have thought it was considerably more than 3 - I guess it depends on how much you take off with each grind - but I would have thought 10+ would be possible.
I ski for the fun of it.
WTFH

Postby Sidney » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:37 pm

I would have thought so too, but thats what the tech said. I'll be going to a different place in a couple of weeks to do a base grind, so i'll ask the question again.

WTFH wrote:I would have thought it was considerably more than 3 - I guess it depends on how much you take off with each grind - but I would have thought 10+ would be possible.
Sidney

Postby Sidney » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:55 pm

Hey Bejes,

How and what did you use to "measure" the bevel of your edges? I just got mine done yesterday at Jindy sports. Pretty good finish on the edges. The base has now got noticible grooves running down it from the wintersteiger ceramic base grind. Is this normal? It's obviously not the smooth base it was when it was new.

Sidney

bejes wrote:Sidney,
Sidney

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:44 am

I use a perm marker to colour in part of the edge. Then using the guide and a diamond stone, make a few passes over this section to see if the texta mark is taken off evenly.
Youll figure it out when you try it...
Lines down the base are just the stonegrind or crosshatch pattern. Stops the skis sticking to the snow, breaks up the surface tension bewtween the ski and snow etc etc.
New skis have this, though might be more noticeable if you got a 'heavier' structure, which should suit aus conditions I think.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:45 am

me above..

Postby bejes » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:47 am

damn forum software ....
Is it because the sessions are file based and not stored in a DB? Would explain why once you are logged in , you are 'logged out' again, esp if this site is on more than one server/s.
bejes

Postby Sidney » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:39 am

I'll give that a go.

I see, hmm, do you think the crosshatch pattern makes that much difference? By the looks of it they have ground the base with a heavier structure, it's noticable anyway.

Reason being I'm pretty much done with the the Aussie ski season this year and will be heading to Japan and possibly North America for a few weeks skiing in Feb/March and its a lot colder and drier there.

Anonymous wrote:I use a perm marker to colour in part of the edge. Then using the guide and a diamond stone, make a few passes over this section to see if the texta mark is taken off evenly.
Youll figure it out when you try it...
Lines down the base are just the stonegrind or crosshatch pattern. Stops the skis sticking to the snow, breaks up the surface tension bewtween the ski and snow etc etc.
New skis have this, though might be more noticeable if you got a 'heavier' structure, which should suit aus conditions I think.
Sidney

Postby WTFH » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:01 am

bejes wrote:damn forum software ....
Is it because the sessions are file based and not stored in a DB? Would explain why once you are logged in , you are 'logged out' again, esp if this site is on more than one server/s.

bejes,
check when you log in - there's a tick box that says about remebering your password - tick that and it should work. (at least it does for me!)
I ski for the fun of it.
WTFH

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System