forum access

PMTS Forum

forum access

Postby John Mason » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:21 pm

I note there is no free access to this forum via http://www.realskiers.com

So unless people ski http://www.realskiers.com and go directly to this forum with http://www.realskiers.com/pmtsforum, they will not get it.

Is this why all traffic has stopped on this forum?
John Mason

Postby milesb » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:16 pm

that probably is it.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Miles (/John)

Postby Jim Ratliff » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:01 am

Miles:

Actually, I assumed the slow-down in posting was merely the realities of time of the year and the last camp being over with.

I was, however, surprised by your post over on Epic giving the non-member entry into the forum (especially given the number of antagonistic posts that have been anonymous and attributed to sources there). I had never assumed that there was supposed to be "free access" to this forum. It's pretty clear that Peter's business model for Realskiers is member subscriptions. I don't know what his business relationship with Harald is, but SCSA says this forum was created by Peter at SCSA's request so "real skiers" could discuss PMTS. I also assumed that this was the way it was supposed to be because there isn't a "generally available" link to this site from Harb Ski Systems.

I can think of a number of reasons for Peter trying to lock down access to this forum (to include unintentional/DNS/web host changes). I think you should consider the following and decide whether your posting a non-member link to this forum was appropriate (yes, we all know that web-bots would find the site eventuallly and more is needed if Peter is really trying to lock down access).

1. I would certainly endorse anything that RealSkiers can do to eliminate the anonymous 'attack' posts that routinely occur, especially given the fervor (to put it mildly) of the responses. I see all of this as counter productive. Anything they can do to eliminate this random/open access or to track/identify the source would be an improvement to the site. I know it's not a moderated forum, but being able to block or at least identify people might be a positive.

2. We should respect Peter's decision on what business model to use for this web site. It then becomes our decision to determine if the value provided is worth the cost. I don't remember from my registration, but there should have been an 'accepted usage' policy that we all agreed to that protects his investment/business in running the site. So far, neither the annual price or the nature of the advertising is burdensome.

3. I like this bulletin board software better that what he uses for the Gear Forum and would love to have him move the gear forum. (or move both to something better). Maybe its part of an redesign of the overall system.

4. I see Epic's model as different, being one of voluntary support. Personally, I feel free to post links to epic information here or in the Gear forum but would not post links to Realskiers in Epic because that's consistent with my understanding of the intent of the owners of the respective web sites.

Just my penny's worth.
Jim Ratliff

Postby milesb » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:06 am

Jim, I had not considered that. I removed the link.
However, until recently, the forum was accessed for free from the homepage. Until John mentioned this, I was unaware that it had changed, as I use the forum address to access it. I doubt that very many forum members are subscribers, nor will they wish to pay. That is why it has slowed down so much, last year it was still very active at this time.
As you said, it's Peter's choice, but I suspect it was an error.

edit: ok, now I'm really confused. there is a link to this forum from the homepage after you click "more" or "subscribe". I admit, I just took John's word that there was no access, maybe this changed since he posted? But you can no longer post without logging in. That's good.
But it's not really obvious how to get here.
milesb

milesb - looks like they changed it again

Postby John Mason » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:42 am

Milesb - when I tried that link 2 days ago, that now works, it prompted with a realskiers login page. Now it does not.

Clearly they are in the midst of reworking the site.

It was always public access before. It's public access again. But for a number of days it was not.

I think that the real problem off and on on this site is not restricting access, but not requiring a log in that has been authenticated with a real e-mail address. This is how most forums work.

The way it is now, a rude, not actually interested in discourse, troll individual can not be blocked.
John Mason

Postby milesb » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:24 am

Thanks for clearing that up John. At least the casual anonymous posters should be somewhat curbed by the log in requirement. However, I have often learned something from those arguments.
milesb

Postby WTFH » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:06 pm

Well, that's made me sign up!
I ski for the fun of it.
WTFH

Postby Belskisfast » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:12 am

I thought everyone was on their bikes.
I am a full member and I have always clicked the link from the member site forum tab, but it does not ask for log in.
Belskisfast

Postby comprex » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:58 pm

Heh, today was the first time it let me on without an Unknown permission error.
comprex

log on?

Postby ydnar » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:23 pm

don't have to
ydnar

Postby comprex » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:38 pm

ydnar, if what you meant to say was 'log in to post' , I had the cookie feature enabled, and it just went splat automatically.
comprex

Postby Ed » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:44 pm

Enable cookies, Yum.
Ed

Postby ydnar » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:32 am

Comprex,

The "don't have to" is in answer to the question "log on?" in the "Post subject:" line. This softwear makes it easier to overlook the "Post subject" line so posts like mine don't work as well as in softwear like that on Epic.

yd
ydnar

Peter's statement on PMTS Forum Access

Postby Jim Ratliff » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:43 pm

Peter's statement on PMTS Forum Access:
I noticed that the following is on the new Realskiers web page when you select the PMTS forum from the left set of menus.

Welcome to our PMTS? Forum, a discussion home for Primary Movements Teaching System teachers, students, fans and critics. This forum is open to all, but we must depend on membership and contribution revenue to operate it. We'll most grateful if you make a modest contribution of $5 to maintain the free forum, or, better yet, we invite you to subscribe to our full service.
Jim Ratliff

Postby malefactor » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:15 am

malefactor

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System