Harb Camps

PMTS Forum

Harb Camps

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:23 am

In January this year I took my family to Canada for a moth long ski trip. We included some Harb camp time with our fellow Aussies Scott and Peter in Fernie. Their camps cater very well for the mix in skier abilities. They split up the ability levels into different groups so the advanced and the slower skiers can all attend a camp during the same week.

I am planning a month long trip to Colorado in Jan 2006 with my family and am keen to include a camp in our itinerary. The problem is that the camps don't seem to cater well for the large differences in my wife and my skiing abilities. I would fit well into the Blue/Dark Blue Camp or even the All Mountain Camp but she would not. She would be better suited to the Green/Blue Camp.

Ideally we would both take a camp at the beginning of January but that doesn't look realistic as the only camp in Jan will probably be an All Mountain Camp which won't work for us both.

It seems the camp schedule in the US is not as flexible as the set up in Fernie.

Anyone else face this problem?

Postby bejes » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:01 am

Yes, I did the accreditation at Fernie. Would have done a camp if I was more cashed up. Next year I would like to do a camp in Colorado and my GF would to. I guess the only option is to go later than Jan. I feel sorry for all the Aussie skiers missing out on PMTS.
bejes

Postby *SCSA » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:10 am

Howdy folks,

If you come out here to CO next year, make sure you look me up. Anyone in the PMTS family gets special privilages, such as free tours of Vail/BC.

I hope to see you this winter.

Have a great summer, ride your bike!
*SCSA

Postby bejes » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:41 am

Hey SCSA, this he/she/it would think that would be coool.
I nearly did this year.
Living in the UK now,maybe I'll fly over for a carver camp.
Have you done the accreditation?
Fernie rocks BTW.
bejes

Postby *SCSA » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:02 am

C'mon over, hang with me. UK people are groovy. Get out here next year, I'll take you around the Big Show.
*SCSA

Postby *SCSA » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:03 am

No, I can't do the accreditation thang (Rusty). That'd make me a ski instructor, Gawd knows I can't be that. Anything, but that. :wink:
*SCSA

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:32 am

Originally posted by *SCSA:
Howdy folks,

If you come out here to CO next year, make sure you look me up. Anyone in the PMTS family gets special privilages, such as free tours of Vail/BC.

I hope to see you this winter.

Have a great summer, ride your bike!

Yeah that would be terrific. Not sure yet which resorts we will stay at but Vail and BC are high on the list. Just got to sort out the camp problem. Not as much fun unless I can do the camps. I suppose I could start looking for other PMTS cert instructors and get some private lessons during January or spend some time at Sol Vista however, SV looks very small and probably not somewhere we would travel 14 hrs in a plane to ski at.

Ian

Postby Sidney » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:16 am

Yeah that would be terrific. Not sure yet which resorts we will stay at but Vail and BC are high on the list. Just got to sort out the camp problem. Not as much fun unless I can do the camps. I suppose I could start looking for other PMTS cert instructors and get some private lessons during January or spend some time at Sol Vista however, SV looks very small and probably not somewhere we would travel 14 hrs in a plane to ski at.

Ian

Ian,

Myself and two friends attended the blue/darkblue Solvista camp in February. After 3 flights via Auckland and LA and 24 hours of non-stop travel, I can honestly say it was worth it.

Dont be swayed by the fact that Solvista is a small resort. If it snows you're in for a real treat. The week I went it snowed for two days and we still had first tracks on runs late in the afternoon. I have some photos of some of the ski resort and runs if you would like me to send them to you. You'll be pleasently suprised. It's still tiny by comparison to Thredbo/Perisher and even Falls Creek/Hotham, but the snow quality is still that much better that it was worth the visit.

And hey, PMTS camps wouldnt be run there if the place was no good right?

Cheers,
Sidney
Sidney

Postby Harald R. H. » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:23 am

Hey Sidney, thanks for the feedback about Sol Vista. Although Sol Vista is a small ski resort by Colorado standards it has qualities for learning that go far beyond any ski resort.

1. It is totally un-crowded so you have time and peace to really work on your skiing without skiers buzzing around you everywhere, not to mention snowboarders.
2. The base lodge is empty except for our campers; it is like a private ski resort.
3. Since there are few skiers the snow quality is normally higher than all other areas and the grooming or powder lasts.
4. In the afternoons, if you have not had enough skiing you can go to Winter Park only twenty minutes away.
5. Most campers are too tired in the after noon to go anywhere, as Sol Vista is very convenient and the practice time on its slopes really pay off.

We like Sol Vita for many other reasons, management works with us and the ski school is totally co-operative. It is the best learning center in the west. It is not an all mountain camp location, but definitely Blue to Dark blue camper quality.
Harald R. H.

I think you'll be OK in all mountain camp

Postby Hobbit » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:27 am

Based on my experiences with Colorado camps, they always split skiers in groups of 6 people based on the skill level (as described in the original post).

This year in A-Basin we had 3 groups, so if your wife can ski green/blue runs she should be OK skiing with the group of her skill level. Call Harald and confirm, but I think you should be OK.

Also cosider that Solvista ski school is PMTS based so you may have a day or two of PMTS instruction there on a green/blue slopes. The place is small, but during the weekdays you'll be there practically on your own.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby Turnalot » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:19 pm

I was looking at the camps yesterday and noticed the Timberline camp. That would be excellent - we've run out of skiing here in NH but I still have things that I want to work on.

A couple things I've noticed.

1. Not much going on in the East.

2. Skis used at the Timberline camp refered to as "Harb carving skis". I tried to find out what those are and all I could find was the Heads and Elans pages. Are those the carvers. I'm just wondering if they are the skis or the skis are something different. Shapewise, I don't suppose the Heads or Elans would be much different than my Oversize skis.

When do you PMTS dudes travel back here for a gathering (don't worry, I'll help you down the ice :lol: ).

Turnalot
Turnalot

Postby SLAVA » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:24 pm

Turnalot,
there is no such thing "harb carving skis" but there is Harb Carvers - that is
dry land training device check it out at http://www.harbcarvers.com I have them for 2 years and THEY ARE THE BEST WHAT YOU CAN GET FOR SUMMER TRAINING.
come to timberline we gonna have a lots of fun! we all ski on are own skis.
cogently I 'me in process to rent a house near Timberline you can join us and save some money on lodging. so far there are 3 of us. I'm local (Portland OR)
best Slava
DOCENDO DISCIMUS.
SLAVA

Postby SLAVA » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:27 pm

sorry the website is http://www.harbcarver.com
DOCENDO DISCIMUS.
SLAVA

Postby Turnalot » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:07 am

Slava,
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look at the details of a Timberline trip.

Does the Timberline camp includes both dryland and snow training?

I found some dryland equipment that is made in Europe that looks to be very functional. The site has pic of people running GS on the equipment and the techinque is about identical to snow.

I'll check out the link you gave me.

Turnalot
Turnalot

Postby SLAVA » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:08 am

You bet! Summer race camp at Timberline includes Skiing session from
8am until 2-3pm( depends on condition of snow) then lunch and dryland training on carvers. the good thing is that you don't have to buy anything. HH and Jay(NW HarbCarvers rep) gonna have Demo carvers for you to us at this sessions. all you need is your ski boots. if you like them( I guarantee you will love them) then you can buy it.

check out video clips at http://www.harbcarver.com Diana and HH carving on "black snow"
also check out more video clips at
http://web.pdx.edu/~petersj/HoodCamp/Ge ... gIndex.htm
DOCENDO DISCIMUS.
SLAVA

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System