Teaser Pics from Harald's new, to be published book

PMTS Forum

Teaser Pics from Harald's new, to be published book

Postby SkierSynergy » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:18 am

Hi Everyone.

I placed a teaser pic on my site. I'll place more there soon and when I do I'll let everyone know by posting here.

I also have some other stuff in the works that will be posted there soon.

http://www.web.pdx.edu/~petersj/Skills/Lessons.htm
SkierSynergy.com -- comprehensive services for the girlfriends of skiers
SkierSynergy

Postby jbotti » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:18 pm

Now that is one rocking arc. Way to smoke it Harald!!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby jbotti » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:25 pm

I'm also going to guess that those are the new Head SuperShapes under foot?
jbotti

I'm teased

Postby John Mason » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:41 pm

Very nice shot. I'm very teased. - but isn't that a wide stance? (just kidding)
John Mason

Postby Hobbit » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:07 pm

I guess you are going at the right speed when the zipper handles on the chest pockets are parallel to your legs ...

:D
Hobbit
Site Admin

supershape

Postby SLAVA » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:42 pm

that's a tight ark but I saw HH did even tighter than that in Loveland 2 weeks ago unfortunately the guy who was taking video was shaking hands so video did not come out clear.

and HH was on Super shapes. Supershapes is not that "super" it's 12.1m radius just like ic200 last year in 170cm. matter of fact super shape by geometry is a grandson of ic200. the difrentce is constraction. ic200 is cap and if i not mistaking supershapes are laminate, liquid metal
DOCENDO DISCIMUS.
SLAVA

Postby Ott Gangl » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:46 pm

Oh man! Us mere mortals can't crank a turn like that. I tried it once on the steep and my knee hit my chin and I bit my tongue...As a photographer I can also appreciate the shot. I see no credit line on the picture but if you know who it is give him my compliments...

Ott Gangl
3186 S. Jackson Blvd.
Uniontown, OH 44685
shooter1@neo.rr.com
Web site: http://home.neo.rr.com/ottmar
Ott Gangl

we are having fun now

Postby Harald » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:22 pm

Thanks for the comments, the turns in the new book will have complete montages of connected turns like the photo on Jay?s web site. We call the new book the ?Essentials of Expert Skiing?. The photographer is Diana Rogers, a great skier, video photographer, a great engineer and a great photographer, not to mention a wonderful partner.

In the new book, we will break down the components, for example, how to achieve: long leg short leg (as in posted photo), Balanced edge changes, changing edges while skis are under the body (especially for bumps), counter balancing, (?engagement assurance?, don?t worry you don?t have to get married to get this new one), Counter acting movements, how to develop co-coordinated ski tipping and upper body movements, this is just a short list.

The book will be a new format, more magazine style with a Quick Hit Tips pages to begin each chapter, with lots of photos and then for the real aficionado the more in depth explanations. Each chapter will have its own topic for ?Quick Hits?. Pull out pages will allow skiers to bring the lessons on the slope.

My skis in the photo are the new Head Super Shapes, what a great ski. I can ski bumps, crud, ice and still get angles, what a deal.
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

Postby Guest/jbotti » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:13 pm

The book sounds awesome and it also appears to be the logical next step in the PMTS progression. With regard to Ott's point, I would like to give some big cheers to Diana. We all know Harald, and he isn't putting a picture in a book that he doesn't think is perfect. Following someone around on skis with a camera trying to take perfect photos or videos is one hard, hard job. Cheers to Diana. Your work does Harald's skiing justice. JB.
Guest/jbotti

Postby Harald R. H. » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:12 pm

John, you aren’t insinuating that I don’t get the right turn the first time every time are you?
Harald R. H.

Postby Sidney » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:12 pm

Harald,

On that photo, are you putting any pressure at all on the uphill ski at all? I've had trouble trying to get it to stay closer to the stance ski leg, which in turn seems to throw out the angle of the ski. Maybe I'm not tipping enough?

When do you expect the new book to come out? And will there be an accompanying Dvd/video?
Sidney

Postby jbotti » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:53 am

Harald,
I am only insinuating and pointing out that even an abundance of perfect turns doesn't autimatically produce an abundance of photos that capture them with the same level of perfection. Clearly, when every turn is perfect, we vastly improve the odds that the photographer will capture awesome shots :D !!
jbotti

Photography

Postby Harald » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:30 am

John, you are absolutely right and that?s why I have such a good photographer. Editing, selecting and assembly take much longer than shooting.
Harald

New book

Postby Harald » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:50 am

Hi Sidney,

I have the photos you sent on my computer as well, nice turns.

I try to eliminate the weight on the inside ski completely as I tip and lean into the turn. My body completely relaxes as I fall to the inside. I collapse the inside knee and leg. I am falling faster than I can get the weight and the inside leg bent, that?s why it looks like there is still weight on the inside ski.

I don?t mind leaving about ten percent on the side ski, but that happens anyway. It?s almost automatic. I feel like all my pressure is on the outside. I don?t need to be as exact on that kind of snow, as I do on ice, where I have to be completely focused on the outside leg to achieve such angles. As you can see the out side is not throwing much snow, which means the carving ski tail is completely engaged and cutting cleanly.

The photos take the most time. That means editing, assembly, organizing, after one day we already have eight hundred photos, and so you can imagine what work on the computer that entails. I?ve already spent four to five hours just selecting the best photos, cropping and detailing the lighting.

I hope to have the book ready for print by August. My publisher wants to introduce it by October. We are not sure we will have a video ready this season, but we also begin shooting for that this spring and summer. .
Harald

Postby RadRab » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:24 am

Bs"D
Talk about brain washing, I can only imagine that turns cranked like that will "clean" your clock.
Professor Harb, your right pole looks slightly bent and throwing a bit of snow. You also mention on your second DVD that lightly draging the inside pole is one of the acceptable options. I know that in what for me would be greater angles I will be draging it pretty hard. Does this indicate a certain lack of better balance? How firm is normal?
Thank you
RadRab

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System