Dry ski slopes?

PMTS Forum

Dry ski slopes?

Postby JohnMoore » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:17 pm

I'll not be doing any more snow skiing for a few months, but someone was talking to me the other day about the newly refurbished dry slope in my town. I've never done dry slope skiing and was wondering whether I might be able to practice some PTMS moves there. Has anyone here done dry slope skiing and is it close enough to the real thing to be useful for PMTS training?
JohnMoore

Postby Joseph » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:16 pm

Carvers work in the UK too. Dry slopes should be swallowed by the earth for the good of humankind.
Joseph

Postby Biowolf » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:05 am

How about the machines Harald and John Clendenin are using ?
Biowolf

Postby JohnMoore » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:55 am

Joseph wrote:Carvers work in the UK too. Dry slopes should be swallowed by the earth for the good of humankind.

Why? Not having used one, I don't know about them.
JohnMoore

Postby *SCSA » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:52 am

John,

Carvers work anywhere there's black snow.
http://www.harbskisystems.com/carver.htm
*SCSA

Postby JohnMoore » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:00 am

Yes, but my question was about dry ski slopes, not carvers. Can anyone tell me whether they have tried PMTS on a dry ski slope? Is there any reason why it would not work?
JohnMoore

Postby *SCSA » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:11 am

"SCSA, rolling on floor, dazed and confused".
WTF is a dry ski slope?
*SCSA

Postby JohnMoore » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:17 am

Here's something about dry ski slopes in the UK:

http://www.amc-comm.demon.co.uk/ukdryskilist.htm
JohnMoore

Postby Joseph » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:40 am

John,

Do yourself a favor and give up on the dry slope idea. They should be strategically bombed for the good of all Her Majesty's ski enthusiasts. I have never skied on them myself, but I've seen more products of dry slopes than I care to recall. The stuff of nightmares. Brits don't naturally suck at skiing--they aren't born that way. It's the dry slope that turns most brits into terminal beginners. Dry slopers become a danger to themself and most everyone on the hill. It will do your skiing far more harm than good. For the good of the Kingdom, visit Harbcarver.com. Carvers are an even better training tool than skiing itself. I wouldn't be near the skier that I am today without them.

If carvers were a Guiness advert, they would go something like this:

"You know how the snow melts in the spring and you can't go skiing anymore?"

"Yes."

"Well, I've invented a device that mimics the movements of skiing and lets you ski year round on any slope that has pavement."

"Brilliant!"

"Brilliant!"

Just remember to pad up, John. Cheerio mate,

Joseph
Joseph

Postby JohnMoore » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:46 am

Joseph wrote:Dry slopers become a danger to themself and most everyone on the hill. It will do your skiing far more harm than good.

So what's the actual problem with them?
JohnMoore

Postby Joseph » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:18 am

Backseat snowplow--which since it doesn't foster very much speed control, turns into a highspeed backseat snowplow. Bombs away--or bowling bowling Brits if you prefer.
Joseph

It should not be that bad

Postby Hobbit » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:52 am

I fail to see much difference between the ski simulator which has a running carpet (and special skis) and the dry slope. I think that the backseat snowplow is a product of appropriate coaching (or lack of coaching at all) and general missunderstanding of the skiing move patterns.

I think that the PMTS approach on dry slope should be fine. If the snowboarders can go there, than PMTS is an attempt to drive the skis the same way -- by tipping and bending it instead of pivoting it.

I still think that there is a major differnce between the dry slope (and any other type of carpet surface) and Carvers. Dry slope would encorage you to skid, while the Carvers will not tolerate any skidding.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I might be wrong. Give it a try and let us know.
In any case, do yourelf a favor and buy a pair of Carvers.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby RobertC » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:32 pm

Properly protected, and at moderate speeds, I think I might prefer to fall onto asphalt, rather than a dry slope.
What quality of asphalt (tarmac?) surface works with Carvers?
Does it need to be really smooth?
And what sort of gradients work for Carver beginners?
RobertC

Postby Hobbit » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:45 pm

We mostly carve on the parking lots and I don't think they invest top $$$ in the surface quality of the average parking lot.
So there are no requirements for the top quality smooth surface. Of course, the better the surface quality the better your carving experience will be.
The slope of about 3 to 5 deg should be OK. Of course, beginners shall start on the flat surface before they go on the slope.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby RobertC » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:49 pm

Thanks Hobbit - Just checked the website -
"Introductory model
Suitable for recreational skiers who can skate, stop, and turn on inline skates"
There is a marketing chasm here!
My skating experience is limited to watching my kids!
RobertC

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System