Ski Edge Angles

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Ski Edge Angles

Postby tigernbr » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:48 am

I found an old thread which discussed base and side edge angles. IIRC, HSS recommended at the time to have a 0.5 degree base edge angle and a 2 degree side edge angle. Most people preferred a 0.5 to 0.7 degree base edge angle and a 3 degree side edge angle. I believe Head skis come from the factory with 1 degree base and 1 degree side angles. I recently bought Head SS i.Speed skis online and may not have time to have them tuned before I go to the camp. Are the factory edge angles ok or should I take a day out of skiing to have them tuned to the edge angles HSS recommends? There are no ski shops near where I live so I can't take them before I go on my ski trip.
tigernbr

Re: Ski Edge Angles

Postby jbotti » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Assuming they came with a decent factory tune (which is about 70% of the time with Head versus 90% of the time 10 years ago) you should have no issue with the factory tune which on these skis is 1 degree base and 2 degrees side (most of the times). From time to time head skis come with very little base bevel. If this is the case you will know it right away and it will be real hard to brush them at all (they will ski railed). If this is the case you will have to get a tune with a full base grind.

Where do you normally ski? This has bearing on what base bevel you want on your skis. For Colorado, Montana and all cold Rockies snow you can go with .5 to .7 on the base. If you ski in Tahoe or the PNW (or anyplace where you get wetter, heavier snow) you want a less aggressive base bevel and 1 degree is what to ski there. East coast guys that are skiing on ice generally like .5 to .7.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby tigernbr » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:29 am

Thank you for the reply jbotti. I ski mostly in Colorado. I went to the green/blue camp last season and am going to the blue/dark blue camp this season at A-Basin. For the foreseeable future, I don't see me skiing anywhere but CO, MT and WY (would love to go to Jackson Hole).
tigernbr

Postby Mikhail » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:26 am

Hi jbotti! I've got 2018 Head i.SL and they are with zero base cant level. The base has some structure. Can you kindly answer should I get a tune with a full base grind instead of just edge tuning and why if so?
Mikhail

Return to Gear