Alignment help please

Alignment help please

Postby Robert0325 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:52 am

3 years ago I had proper Harb foot beds fitted in Holland at Portes Du Ski. This made a difference to my skiing, I wouldn’t say a complete transformation, but afterwards I could ski better on one foot and was able to perform a full weighted release. Before that no chance.
I worry though about my static cuff alignment as below. For reference this picture is taken with liners removed but footbeds fitted into shells. If I understand correctly this shows that I’m knock kneed? I’ve adjusted the boot as far as I can with the built in adjustments to try and get an equal gap each side of my shin but this is the best I can achieve, So my question is do I need to have some further boot customisation carried out?

I do have some video of me attempting the alignment exercises as laid out on the new alignment video but I thought I should start with the basic cuff alignment issue first.

I would appreciate any help you can give as it’s difficult to get good advice here in the uk.

Image
Robert0325
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:45 am
Location: England, UK

Re: Alignment help please

Postby Erik » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:13 am

Robert,
You are on the right track to be questioning the cuff alignment. It makes a huge difference in ski performance. Have you purchased the downloadable Alignment Manual to go along with the first alignment video? It goes into a lot more detail about boot fitting than Expert Skier 1, and includes a discussion of anatomy and cuff alignment. You may not be able to solve all of your issues from reading the manual, but it will make you a more informed customer, and will help you ask the right questions.

Some of the data you have not provided is:
- Model of boots?
- Do they have cuff adjustments on both the medial and lateral sides?
- What canting, if any, do you already have on the boot soles?
Erik
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:30 pm

Re: Alignment help please

Postby ChrisC » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:08 pm

Adding to the above reply, I have Lange RS 140 boots which only have cuff adjustment on the lateral side. This was not enough adjustment for my right foot, so Harb Ski Systems replaced the medial rivet with a Head cuff adjuster to give dual canting.

I don't think this can be done for all brands of boots because it depends on the size of the rivet.

Another comment is that many boots have cuffs that are too strong. The fact that you run out of adjustment doesn't mean that you are knock-kneed.
ChrisC
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:41 pm

Re: Alignment help please

Postby jbotti » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:54 am

Cuff is way too strong. Alignment canting won't fix this. This needs to be done with the canting/cuff adjustment on the boot. Having skied with one boot like this you will notice a huge difference. The good news is that its easy to fix. In my case I needed additional ability to move the cuff which required Diana to put in a different adjustment screw with more range on motion. First max out what your you can with the existing cuff adjustment. Even if you pick up say a centimeter of space it will be way better than the way it is now.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
User avatar
jbotti
 
Posts: 1699
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:05 am

Re: Alignment help please

Postby Robert0325 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:58 am

Thanks for all the replies, for some reason my notifications haven’t been working so have only just seen that I’ve had these responses which is much appreciated.
Erik wrote:Robert,
Have you purchased the downloadable Alignment Manual to go along with the first alignment video? It goes into a lot more detail about boot fitting than Expert Skier 1, and includes a discussion of anatomy and cuff alignment.
No, but I will take your recommendation and do so.
Erik wrote:Some of the data you have not provided is:
- Model of boots?
Boot model is Salomon Impact 10 CS (120 flex).
Erik wrote:- Do they have cuff adjustments on both the medial and lateral sides?
They have cuff adjustment both sides which I’ve maxed out. i.e. on one side it wound fully CW and on the other fully CCW to pull the cuff over as far as possible.
Erik wrote:- What canting, if any, do you already have on the boot soles?
I have no canting on soles.

jbotti wrote:Cuff is way too strong. Alignment canting won't fix this. This needs to be done with the canting/cuff adjustment on the boot. Having skied with one boot like this you will notice a huge difference. The good news is that its easy to fix. In my case I needed additional ability to move the cuff which required Diana to put in a different adjustment screw with more range on motion. First max out what your you can with the existing cuff adjustment. Even if you pick up say a centimeter of space it will be way better than the way it is now.
OK so I think I need different adjustment screws with more range. Should I do this to the medial side, lateral side or both sides equal amounts?
Robert0325
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:45 am
Location: England, UK

Re: Alignment help please

Postby jbotti » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:10 pm

"OK so I think I need different adjustment screws with more range. Should I do this to the medial side, lateral side or both sides equal amounts?"

Since I have never done it myself I don't know the answer. Someone else here may know. Perhaps they will chime in.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
User avatar
jbotti
 
Posts: 1699
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:05 am


Return to Movement Analysis and Video

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests