Plan for real improvement this season!

PMTS Forum

Plan for real improvement this season!

Postby Max_501 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:33 pm

One of the best ways to maximize PMTS development is to create a plan for improvement and then stick to that plan throughout the season. Let me give you an example. Back in the early 2000's I purchased ACBAES1. During the first week I read it cover to cover and watched the video about 10x to get an understanding of what PMTS encompassed and then I decided I wanted to ski like the incredibly graceful Harald Harb, so my plan was to do exactly what he had written and not move forward until I was competent with the current exercise. My plan was quite literally following HH's instructions, word for word, throughout the season. My plan included watching the video once during the week and then again the night before each skiing day. I found different ways to have fun when doing the drills each ski day. The improvement in my skiing (and also my wife and kids' skiing) was rapid and surprised many of our friends. The plan of following the book worked so well that I added book 2 when the time came. By 2003 or 2004 my plan included video, which was a serious reality check because I still didn't look anything like I had imagined! I waited until 2005 or 06 to add HSS footbeds and alignment to the improvement plan. (NOTE - Delaying that long was a HUGE mistake and if I could do it over again I'd start the PMTS journey with a visit to HSS in CO). Then we added HSS coaching to the plan (I delayed this for much too long too, should have done it day 1 with the boot work). A couple years later I added accreditation to the plan. You get the idea.

So, what's your improvement plan for the 2015-16 season?
Max_501

Re: Plan for real improvement this season!

Postby HeluvaSkier » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Ski better.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Max_501 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:36 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:Ski better.

That's probably the goal of every skier reading this site. What's your plan to reach your goal to "ski better"?
Max_501

Postby Vailsteve » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:15 am

that's easy Max:

tip tip tip
master little toe traverse
delay big toe engagement
tip tip tip
pull back free foot
did I say tip tip tip?

oh yeah... the last one... rehab left shoulder from rotator cuff /torn bicep tendon surgery last week.

VailSteve
Vailsteve

Postby skijim13 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:49 am

Improve tipping
Stay flexed in transition, and improve flexing
Improve CA and improve pole usage to help as external cue to sufficient CA, and CB in turns
Further improve LTE balance during transition
Improve on making weighted releases
Improve brushed carving skills
Short turn improvement
skijim13

Postby jbotti » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:28 am

Mine is not a lot different than last year.

Consistent and continued work on CA (lots of angry mothers). I have some good CA all over the mountain. Now I want to increase it.
Alternate CA work with flappers to make sure I have both CA and solid pullback
Lots of BPSRT work on groomed at higher amplitude (with huge focus on CA)
Bumps skiing a with a huge focus on CA and speed control
Lots of Video shot
Couple pf days with Diana in Feb working on Bumps
Multiple days working with Max during the season

If I make the progress I want that is consistent with the progress I made last year, I may go back to working some on tightening my speed control in my hard snow carving but I will only shift my focus to this if I make the progress I am hoping for.

BTW, I do a laundry list of drills all the time starting with basic phantom turns, super phantoms, weighted releases, phantom javelins and flappers.

Oh I almost forgot, biggest focus for the season: a lot more snow than last year!!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby DougD » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:15 am

Max, the slave driver!

Here's my pre-/early season plan:
- Drill all the slantboard exercises (have been thru them twice, need more reps)
- An early season ski day or two (hours of ACBAES 1&2 drills, then reboot the good Super Phantoms and Phantom Javelins I achieved at the end of last season - plus increased awareness of CA/CB)
- Fly to CO in Nov, stand still without whining while HSS molds my new boot liners
- Pre-camp ski day to get used to the new liners (anyone for Loveland or the Basin on Sun, 11/15?)
- Short Turns Camp, 11/16-20 (expect substantial disintegration of my skiing, profuse tears and much video of same)
- Whatever SMIM comes out of that
- Killington, 12/15-19 (Jim's PMTS meetup, where I'll dazzle everyone by not flailing quite so much as last year)
DougD

Postby h.harb » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:48 am

Max501 had a plan because he wanted to become and expert skier. He did it and it worked, however as he self-attested, he could have done it faster. Before you get a plan that you will stick to, you have to understand your level of motivation.
h.harb

Postby jbotti » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:41 pm

Another way to ask Max's question is: Do you know your SMIM (single most important movement that is missing in your skiing). If you know that the next questions is, do you know what drills to do to improve that movement. Its one thing to say I want to tip more or have more CA or flex more but much better to know the drills that will improve this and to know how to do them properly.

I'm not sure if this has been said or how many times, but focused skiing is not worth all that much without the drills. To take the next step after improving and ingraining an improved movement pattern it takes real focus in your free skiing to make sure that what you were/are getting right in your drill work remains right in your free skiing. Can anyone spell VIDEO? There are other ways and friends with knowledge and good eyes can help, but there is no substitute for seeing it for yourself. Every good PMTS skier has become their own coach part of the time using video.

Damn I get pumped for some skiing in threads like these! 76* outside in Northern CA today so not that close yet!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:51 pm

Max_501 wrote:
HeluvaSkier wrote:Ski better.

That's probably the goal of every skier reading this site. What's your plan to reach your goal to "ski better"?

CA Drill. Video. CA Drill. Video. CA Drill. Video.

Repeat as needed.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Basil j » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:27 pm

Tighten up the stance a little bit more
Work on staying flexed
Super phantom movement.
I don't want to create a long list. I'll stay focused on where I left off last season. Once I feel solid and competent with the 3 items I listed above in all conditions, then I will find the next items I will need to work on.
It's funny, when I first started PMTS 2 years ago, I felt an immediate improvement, then as I educated myself better and really immersed myself into the program comprehensively and started the journey on green runs and really taking the time to learn the movements as best as I could, I felt that my skiing actually deteriorated as I unlearned a bunch of ineffective movements that were ingrained in my skiing. At the end of last season I finally started to acknowledge a definitive physical change in my stance & posture. My skiing slowly began to become much more effortless and consistent. My 12 year old daughter has seen a big change in my skiing and is now much more eager to listen to "Dad" when we are drilling in the afternoons. She has started to watch videos of HH, Hirsher and Schifrin and even Tomba looking for the similarities that make them stand apart from the rest of their peers. This should be a fun season, as long as we get snow.
Basil j

Postby ToddW » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:26 pm

Basil,

If you can make it to the Killington gathering for a day, you'll get the benefit of live feedback. Doug will have just completed a camp, and Jim and Lori took a camp last season. Most campers pick up a bit of PMTS-centric MA ability. Their comments may help you refine your improvement plan for the upcoming season.

Todd
ToddW

Postby Max_501 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:47 pm

jbotti wrote:Another way to ask Max's question is: Do you know your SMIM (single most important movement that is missing in your skiing). If you know that the next questions is, do you know what drills to do to improve that movement. Its one things to say I want to tip more or have more CA or flex more but much better to know the drills that will improve this and to know how to do them properly.

I'm not sure if this has been said or how many times, but focused skiing is not worth all that much without the drills. To take the next step after improving and ingraining an improved movement pattern it takes real focus in your free skiing to make sure that what you were/are getting right in your drill work remains right in your free skiing. Can anyone spell VIDEO? There are other ways and friends with knowledge and good eyes can help, but there is no substitute for seeing it for yourself. Every good PMTS skier has become their own coach part of the time using video.

Bingo! It's one thing to create a list of goals but another to create a plan of attack to achieve those goals.
Max_501

Postby ToddW » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:09 pm

SMIM: CA

alignment camp in October (gain greater understanding of how the body really works in skiing)

flexibility / ROM (good, but there's more to be had)

3-part focus on carrying technique to steeper / ungroomed
- strengthen hamstrings
- CA (continue drills, timing, and themes from last session with Harald)
- flex deeper and sooner

seek out ice / scraped off to test and improve high C balance in brushed turns

week with Harald in March

Hintertux camp in April

Thought for the season*: aggressive relaxation

----------------------------
*Harald's phrase, not mine.
ToddW

Postby Max_501 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:28 pm

^^^That's a plan, and a serious one at that!!!
Max_501

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System