One Happy Camper! (GreenBlue Sol Vista 2005)

PMTS Forum

One Happy Camper! (GreenBlue Sol Vista 2005)

Postby Billy Dee NJ » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:11 am

:D
Well, just returned from another great Green/Blue Camp at Sol Vista.
This was my third year in a row and best by far, IMHO.

Heck, even my buddies Jeff M and Hobbit would be proud of the progress I made. Hobbit and I skied the previous Saturday at Loveland, but I had a terrible day, blaming it on the poor visibility.
But it was probably the mucho Fat Tire's and 4 hours sleep the night before that were the real culprits...maybe what they say about avoiding alcohol the first night at altitude is true? Hmmm...

Anyhow, I have a few things to work on but I'm finally getting real focused.
*Flex, flex and more flex...
*Keep the hands down....
*Face the base....
*Tip, tip and more tip, especially on the steeps which we worked on quite a bit during the week.
I get a couple days in Utah later this week to keep the good stuff going. then it's back to those great conditions in the Eastern US. NOT!

I've finally narrowed my stance to the point where it's no longer mentioned...thank god. Working on my core strength since summer seems to really have helped.

Conditions were consistently good at Sol Vista with even some freshies to play in earlier in the week.

Had an incredibly diverse group of skiers this year...lot's of cool folks from Australia, New Zealand, UK and the typical ugly Americans like myself ;-)

Shout out's to the Tall Texan, my North Carolina friends and the guys in my group for putting up with me all week.

Ok HH I know, the Eagles didn't quite make it :x but look for them in Detroit next year my friend...

It was really nice seeing Rich M back at it, you go man!

And, special thanks to Diana for the attention and encouragement.

See y'all next time,
Bill Doherty
Billy Dee NJ

Postby piggyslayer » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:45 am

It was really nice seeing Rich M back at it, you go man!

REALLY great to read that!! :D :!:

Where do you go locally? Maybe some day we can get together to make some turns?

Robert
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby Billy Dee NJ » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:40 pm

piggyslayer wrote: Where do you go locally? Maybe some day we can get together to make some turns?
Robert

Robert,
When at home, typically I'll ski Blue Mtn or Elk Mtn in PA. This year I'll be skiing Camelback and Jack Frost too, but not sure what dates yet.
What are your local haunts?
Bill
Billy Dee NJ

Postby piggyslayer » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:40 pm

I ski locally only at nights (prefer ice over crowds).

I prefer to ski Mountain Creek this season until they close ? probably early March (free lift tickets).
In 3 weeks I am out for Montana camp.
I plan to go to Hunter sometime in March.

Let me know if Mountain Creek (and you like nite skiing) or Hunter are in you plans.
Next year I plan to visit Blue Mountain more often for my nite skiing trips.

Robert
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby trtaylor » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:27 pm

I ski Camelback and Elk. Have both of Harald's books, but have not attended a camp yet. That is my goal for next year. I am not as advanced a skier as you guys, but would be up for hooking up and skiing together.

Tim
trtaylor

Postby piggyslayer » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:31 pm

I will be skiing Mountain Creek on Friday nite, probably last time before the camp and most likely last time locally this year (snow will melt locally early March).

I will try to catch up with you guys next year. Camelback will be fine. Unless you would like to go to Hunter for one day trip some time in March?

Robert.
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby Billy Dee NJ » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:41 am

Yeah, let's try and do something in March. I'll definitely be skiing Jack Frost on March 4-6 if someone wants to meet up.
I'll PM you both if I get up to Camelback or Blue prior to that which is very likely.
Bill
Billy Dee NJ

Re: One Happy Camper! (GreenBlue Sol Vista 2005)

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:14 am

Billy Dee NJ wrote::D
Well, just returned from another great Green/Blue Camp at Sol Vista.
This was my third year in a row and best by far, IMHO.

If it's that great, why are you still in the green/blue after 3 years? I'm not trying to be an ass, but I thought the crux of PMTS was rapid progression.

Not trying to be ... ???

Postby Hobbit » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:16 am

Just read Bill's original post and his ski injury story on this forum earlier thread and maybe you'll understand.
Bill is a great guy and a dedicated skier for sure.

My opinion (and I skied with Bill last year in Solvista Green Camp and this year in Loveland) that with traditional instruction he would still be in the "pizza / french fries" category, mostly working on the pizza stuff (I hope you watch South Park sometimes :wink: ).
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby piggyslayer » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:53 am

If it's that great, why are you still in the green/blue after 3 years? I'm not trying to be an ass, but I thought the crux of PMTS was rapid progression.

There is no shame in attending green/blue camps even if you are an expert.
With harbskisystems you get very small groups and instructors providing individual feedback to each student. The main difference between different camps is the terrain on which you will be skiing.

People have referred to my skiing as expert (wrongly) before I attended the first camp with harbskisystems. And yes, I have attended green/blue camp with my wife. I have benefited a lot from this camp.

Another student in this green/blue camp was PSIA certified instructor.
He also benefited from the camp and was making some of his best turns ever. What does it say about PSIA, I hope nothing. I do not want to be sarcastic either.

PS. Guys, March 4-6 is bad for me (I am still in Montana).
Did you read Joseph post. PMTS clinics in the East!!

Robert
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

No time to log in, post and run

Postby Harald Harb » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:05 pm

People ski and take instruction for many different reasons. Bill has improved tremendously in the years he has attended PMTS Green camps. He is perfecting his technique and maybe he wants to feel totally confident with his skiing technique before he moves to the next level.

(I won?t speak for Bill, but this is one good motivation for many skiers)

Since Bill?s first camp, I have seen a level of athleticism come out of his body that I didn?t think existed the first time I saw him ski. Nice improvements Bill.

I think I can say that this is the case for almost every skier attending PMTS or Harb Ski Systems camps. PMTS teaches expert movements at every level. So there is an advantage to repeating the same level of camp. Who doesn?t want to ski with expert movements on the Green and Blue slopes? Most skiers on expert slopes ski poorly.

I had two skiers in my group from New Zealand. They were from the old school of skiing, push off, up and around movements. Lots of swing and fling, in one week of half days these skiers are skiing PMTS with no up or tossing of the skis. They are releasing the skis and transitioning to the turn by bending the legs and tipping the skis. The first time it happened it was a huge revelation. It?s like a new lease on life. Indeed a new lease on one?s skiing life.

The skiers who take PMTS camps are rewarded by noticing the difference between skiing with efficiency and skiing with wrong movements and muscle exertion. Skiers in our camps walk away saying, ?I can now ski without wasting energy and I can ski longer.

Jim, thanks for the nice words, we have found a boot that will work for your feet. Let me know when it would be appropriate to contact you about getting set up.
Harald Harb

Not your father's ski instruction

Postby Eddy Eagle » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:39 pm

Most people (those who have not been through a PMTS session) can only conceive that PMTS is like regular ski instruction. It sure isn't, not the way Harald and his people do it.

The way ski teaching and movement are taught in PMTS, by the Harb Ski Systems group anyway, (those that are qualified to teach at the Harb Camps) any level of skier or instructor can benefit.

If you are truly interested to learn about skiing or your movements, Levels in PMTS don't mean so much. You will get results whether you are an expert or an intermediate, even at the Green Blue Camp.
Eddy Eagle

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System