Replacements for IM78's??

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Replacements for IM78's??

Postby Skizoo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:08 am

Both pair of my IM78's are nearing the end of their lifespan.. The used market for finding a good pair of these is pretty much over.. so what is the current best replacement that would ski most like an IM78?

I'm not looking for anything wider than a 78, not looking for early rise. I have plenty of sub 70 carvers so I'm fine there. Really looking for something that is as versatile, handles eastern ice, & can handle most anything. If there ever was a true all mountain ski, to me this was it. But alas, it's gone..
Skizoo

Re: Replacements for IM78's??

Postby JBurke » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:07 pm

Although you've probably already looked at this; the Harb ski shop site states:
"Head Rev 80 PRO
130/81/112, R14.8 (177)
156, 163, 170, 177 cm
The Rev 80 Pro can be a Western one-ski quiver. This is a strong-carving all-mountain ski. Due to its width, it doesn't carve short turns like the iSS Speed or the Mya No. 7. However, for an all-mountain ski it's still a carving machine on the frontside corduroy. The turn radius will help you control speed whether carving on hard snow or busting through the crud. Like the iSS Speed's off-piste alter ego, the Rev 80 Pro is happy to spend the whole day playing -- even where the snowcats do not tread.
Wood-core sandwich cap construction."

Nothing said about eastern ice but maybe as close as you can get in a Head ski? Also a bit wider than you are looking for.
JBurke

Postby jbotti » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:25 pm

Not sure what length ski you ski on but the Head Peak 84 is a great ski. I loved my IM 78's but I think I like the Peak 84's even better. Great carvers, great off piste, great in crud and chop and solid in bumps. There are still some for sale on EBay in sizes other than the 177cm length.

I have never skied the Head Rev 80 Pro but I hear it is a very nice ski. I had a pair of Kastle MX78's which I also really loved. Stiffer than the IM78's (but just modestly). Super carvers and a great hard snow ski (great on east coast ice). Not quite as forgiving off piste as the IM78's but still a really nice ski off piste. The big negative is the price which runs more than Heads on Ebay.

Elan makes a 78mm waisted ski that is also an excellent ski. Max has skied it and likes it a lot.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Skizoo » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:15 am

My IM78's are 170's, I'm about 5'10". I have skied the Peak 84's in a 177, and while that is not too long for me & I liked the ski I didn't find it to be the right replacement for the IM's.. especially for east coast skiing. If I was skiing mostly out west.. maybe.

We've had a lot of snow in VT this week, heavy wet snow, some drier, some crust in between layers, pretty much everything a storm can throw at you and I had the IM's out every day, and they're just so versatile, they handle almost anything except really deep snow so well, I'll get every ounce of life out of them and will miss them when they're gone.. but still need to find a replacement with something suited to the east.

My experience with the Kastle's are similar to yours, they seemed to me to have more of a hard snow bias and while a really nice ski didn't seem quite as versatile as the IM's in off piste snow

Max, what are the Elans John alluded to that you liked?
Skizoo

Postby theorist » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:51 pm

What about the Movement skis? They've been very well-recieved as PMTS all-mountain boards. The Jam, at 85 mm, is wider than you want, but they do make narrower models. Though I've not heard much about them recently -- I recall they were no longer among what HSS was listing (online) for '13/'14 (Head skis only), but I believe Harald still regards them highly.
theorist

Postby CO_Steve » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:19 pm

Dave, Remember a couple of years ago you skied my Motive 80s back to back with your im78s? At the time you thought they were similar. Next time you're out here take them out for a day, I''ve got way too many skis right now.

Steve
CO_Steve

Postby Skizoo » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:40 pm

CO_Steve wrote:Dave, Remember a couple of years ago you skied my Motive 80s back to back with your im78s? At the time you thought they were similar. Next time you're out here take them out for a day, I''ve got way too many skis right now.

Steve

Steve, ahh yes, I remember, and they did have a similar feel.. I used to ski Fischer a lot back in the day, they seem to be a brand that gets overlooked in anything outside of their race line today.. but thanks for reminding me of that..
Skizoo

Postby Skizoo » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:43 pm

theorist wrote:What about the Movement skis? They've been very well-recieved as PMTS all-mountain boards. The Jam, at 85 mm, is wider than you want, but they do make narrower models. Though I've not heard much about them recently -- I recall they were no longer among what HSS was listing (online) for '13/'14 (Head skis only), but I believe Harald still regards them highly.

Actually I have 2 pair of Jams, (I tend to hoard skis I like as I know they won't likely make them for long) but the Jams are a great ski, just not quite as versatile for an east coast ski
Skizoo

Postby Mac » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:50 pm

Have only gotten out on the hill four days this season so far, all of them on my 177 Monster 78's. I was thinking to myself the other day what a great ski that is to have when you don't know what the conditions are going to be, especially early season. They are great in just about any conditions. I was lucky enough to come across these a couple of years ago from a guy who had only put about five days on them, and said he wasn't going to use them anymore. Well, rest assured that they have gotten plenty of use under my feet. They are having a demo this Sunday at Okemo, but I don't think they will have any Head skis there, I think it's only for skis they carry at the mountain. However, Bob Skinner's shop is also putting on a free demo this Saturday and Sunday at Sunapee, and they do carry Head. I know they will have some of the new Supershapes, and I think they also carry the Rev 80's. You might want to call before you go, but if they do have them, it might be worth the hour's drive to give them a try. And you're right, the Peak 84 was a nice ski, but not the same as the Im 78.
Mac

Postby Max_501 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:29 pm

Mac wrote:And you're right, the Peak 84 was a nice ski, but not the same as the Im 78.

Not the same because the 84 is/was better.
Max_501

Postby Skizoo » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:24 am

Max_501 wrote:
Mac wrote:And you're right, the Peak 84 was a nice ski, but not the same as the Im 78.

Not the same because the 84 is/was better.

Max, can you elaborate on why you feel the Peak 84 is/was a better ski than the IM78, especially for east cost conditions?
Skizoo

Postby Mac » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:41 am

Different, yes. Better? Guess that depends on individual taste. I think the 84 was more of a wider carver, more of the feel of the current Supershape line. Better carver, yes, IMO. More precise. I only use the IM 78's for early/late season, when you never know what the conditions are going to be. When the conditions get good, they go back into hibernation in favor of my SS's. But I still bring them along from time to time if I plan on skiing in the woods or off piste were the cover is usually thin. In those kind of conditions they are hard to beat. But if I could only have one pair, I would go with the 84's. Just more fun for the conditions I normally ski in.
Mac

Postby Skizoo » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:05 am

Mac wrote:Different, yes. Better? Guess that depends on individual taste. I think the 84 was more of a wider carver, more of the feel of the current Supershape line. Better carver, yes, IMO. More precise. I only use the IM 78's for early/late season, when you never know what the conditions are going to be. When the conditions get good, they go back into hibernation in favor of my SS's. But I still bring them along from time to time if I plan on skiing in the woods or off piste were the cover is usually thin. In those kind of conditions they are hard to beat. But if I could only have one pair, I would go with the 84's. Just more fun for the conditions I normally ski in.

I tend to agree with Mac, I don't have enough time on the Peak 84's to have a really solid opinion, but I use the IM's the same as Mac, a lot early then as the season progresses, less, for what we see in the east especially early season, they are a great choice as they handle almost anything the east will throw our way

And just for reference, we're talking about this version of the Peak 84, right?

Skizoo

Postby Basil j » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:23 am

I will second the recommendation of a motive 80 but I ended up pulling the trigger on the C-line version in a 175cm after talking to a Fischer rep about where the standard Motive 80 fell short for me. 6'and 198lbs, the motive 80 in a 182cm was okay but not great at anything and had a long turn bias. The 175cm c-line version is as forgiving, but edge hold is superior and the ski is much snappier and makes short and medium turns very nicely. The motive 80 works well with PMTS movements. I demoed the Head pro 80 at the end of last season and IMO the c-line motive is much more stable and has better edge hold. Fischer makes good skis that are often overlooked as does Elan.
Basil j

Postby Max_501 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:32 pm

Skizoo wrote:Max, can you elaborate on why you feel the Peak 84 is/was a better ski than the IM78, especially for east cost conditions?

A hair more float but still carves great.
Max_501

Next

Return to Gear