This is great ski

Friends get together

This is great ski

Postby jepoupatout » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:12 pm

Wow, i was very impress when i first watch this ski instructor from Quebec City.
Do you see some similtude with PMTS , it is to high level for me to see the difference.
jepoupatout

Re: This is great ski

Postby Matt » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:31 am

Matt

Postby jepoupatout » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:45 am

Are you sure? I don't see that.
jepoupatout

Postby jepoupatout » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:50 am

jepoupatout wrote:Are you sure? I don't see that.

I disagree with knee driving. If it is , it is very few.
jepoupatout

Postby Matt » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:38 am

I belieive so yes, but don't take my word for it. What I posted above was a link to Harald's blog. click it and see a thorough analysis.
Matt

Postby jepoupatout » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:09 am

Well, maybe at some spot but generally it doesn't look like that.
jepoupatout

Postby Basil j » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:15 am

I have seen this guy in numerous videos. Some things I see , keep in mind I am one year into PMTS so my MA's are not as good as a seasoned PMTS skier, but I have been skiing for over 25 years.:
*Good flexing during turns, but the turns don't build, they look to me like carved edge sets as a finish to each turn. The flexing allows him to change edges quickly, but he looks like he pushes off the ski instead of flexing and then retracting the leg. It's subtle, but I see it in a lot of "athletic" skiers.
*Because he has decent flexing, it is hard for to see if tipping or knee driving is occurring, maybe a little of both.
*Edge angles are pretty even between and during turns. That is good. Stance is getting narrower on him over some older videos I have watched of him skiing.
He also looks a little 2 footed to be a PMTS skier.
What I would like to see is a video of him skiing slowly. I bet an extension would surface between turns. Also bet some wedging would also occur.
It looks to me that he uses the ski's rebound to launch himself into each turn Every video I have seen of this skier, he is skiing at high speeds and you can camouflage or minimize extension movement patterns because everything is happening fast.
No doubt he is a great Traditional non PMTS skier, but I would say the appears to be trying to ski with a narrower stance and with more flex between and during turns than in older videos. Just my opinions. I could be way off.
Basil j

Postby arothafel » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:46 am

Basil may be on to it. It seems like he has a "push-off" but is incredibly quick to tip his new free foot. Like it almost catches up. But, it may be a little too late and results in the new stance foot being extended a little early. And, perhaps that's why there's an edge set...?

Curious what the "sharper" eyes see.
arothafel

Postby blackthorn » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:37 pm

I was at Treble Cone on the date of this video. The season was generally poor until the first week of august, when a late dump, followed by about a month of clear skies, saved the season.

I don't see this as PMTS skiing.

I have the books and videos, I have been doing dryland and on snow exercises, and I think I am slowly getting there. I have read many of the posts on this forum. Video for MA is difficult to get. I find I can read something many times and think I understand the movements in principle, and practise them. When doing them "properly" things seem to click into place ie I think I can feel the difference. So, it has got me to thinking about the "PMTS skiing" concept. This is what I would try and explain to others. PMTS skiing will be occurring when you are positioning your skis in such a way that they will be pressuring you, and never the other way around. Your job is to guide the skis to allow you flow down the mountain in this way. It is a great aesthetic.

I think that RealSkiers has got the difference between power and finesse the wrong way round.

So, in this video I think that the skier is likely to be pressuring his skis at various parts of the turn rather than the other way around - be it a late push, or an early push.

I am very happy to have any of these comments totally dismantled!
blackthorn

Postby Max_501 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:50 pm

This is the sample image HH posted for knee drive:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xG8b_JH9C1E/V ... 0%2BPM.png

It is followed by an extension that looks like:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-oUNuqwQYwJY/V ... 8%2BPM.png

Compare those images to the video.
Max_501

Postby jepoupatout » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:31 am

I can see extension with JF Beaulieu but not that much knee driving, Beaulieu is better than this guy
jepoupatout

Postby jepoupatout » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:24 am

As you can see on this Video Beaulieu is doing a lot better job than his colleague
jepoupatout

Postby darkmatter » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:33 am

Let's face it, JF is better than 98% of the gen. pop, it's just that his timing for tipping lte is off (late) which is why we see a bit of an extension and some subtle rotary. He's wanting to take the direct line with the wrong tactic, imo.
darkmatter

Postby darkmatter » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:05 am

...and the reason his timing is off is that he's not relaxing his stance leg soon enough.
darkmatter

Postby Max_501 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:28 am

Take a look at the first skiing segment in the vimeo vid (first one posted). When is the extension you guys are talking about occuring?
Max_501

Next

Return to Social Chatting