Updated version of my Expert Skiing Part 2 Tipping.

PMTS Forum

Re: Updated version of my Expert Skiing Part 2 Tipping.

Postby polecat » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Great Video. Awesome content.

One little production note, at 6:25 in the text overlay has "Subtitle Text Here" left in it.

pc
polecat

Postby Brian » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:05 am

Hello from Scotland. These videos are great. And I can see the sense of the statement "release the big toe edge ski and keep the other ski on the little toe edge." However on one of Harb's comments on Josh Foster's revelation about the inside ski after talking to the Austrian team, Harb mentions the need to pull the ski back. I assume he means the ski that you are tipping. I can't find a reference to pulling back the tipping ski on any of Harb's videos. And how far is the pull back? I assume these movements are quite subtle. Thanks.
Brian

Postby jclayton » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:49 am

Have a good look , the Phantom move requires tipping and simultaneously pulling the inside ski back . This is a constant thread in the books .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:52 am

See here:

Great video - foot pull back ref at 4:05
go_large_or_go_home

Postby jclayton » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:00 am

Hey Gavin , your PMTS studies look like they are in the PostGrad mode .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:29 am

The Max501 effect is wearing off on me.....

Also watch this, it will give you a great holistic understanding to system:

Foot pullback/ inside foot management is at 49:15....
go_large_or_go_home

Postby Brian » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:40 am

Thanks very much for taking the time.
I looked at the video and heard the reference. My concern was that the top inside ski could end up crossing the other ski if it is pulled back too far and it would not be ahead of the lower ski on the traverse. In the video, I think the pull back is slight and Harb ends up in the usual traverse position. I need to try it to understand it. Can see how it works.

Having been on the Warren Smith Course in Verbier to move away from my old style, skis together skiing, I now have to bring them back into their old position, albeit without the old fashioned pole plant, lift and weight transfer :-) I also need to bring the skis together if I want to get serious about powder skiing. So this is a win/win scenario for me.

Harb shows how you need to keep the knees flexed throughout the turn. No up movement.
Are all these movements and positions the same for powder.
Or is up movement allowed?
Thanks again.
Brian

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:29 am

Brian wrote:Harb shows how you need to keep the knees flexed throughout the turn.

Not throughout the turn, just the transition. The legs extend away from the body as the turn develops in order to keep the ski in contact with the snow. Note: extend away...NOT push..

Are all these movements and positions the same for powder.

Most definitely.....I change nothing between groomers, crud, bumps and powder apart from the amount/ rate of movement. All my movement patterns are the same..

Or is up movement allowed?

Not at all. Not even a 1mm rise...even standing/ pushing against the ski during transition is considered an up movement. Don't be fooled by the relative movement of the hips from one turn to the other. If you have your hips on the snow on each turn, then they will have to rise through the transition. It's what's happening below the hips that counts - knees & ankles...

Having been on the Warren Smith Course in Verbier

I have to say it, but that was probably the most destructive thing that you could have done to your skiing progress. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear. All you would have got from his course is instruction on thigh steering, wide stance and survival tactics to enable you to blunder down steeps, etc with no mechanism to self coach or improve. Been there, done that...i was that man - a great BAD skier, able to ski anything, any pitch with wide/ heavy/ steered feet...not much grace, but relying on aggression, power and athleticism.....

Skiing with the great man himself....I can ski like this all day, everyday without and ounce of sweat dropped.....start your journey now, it's not too late...
Last edited by go_large_or_go_home on Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
go_large_or_go_home

Postby nipper » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:49 am

Yes. Ignore everything that Warren Smith taught you and if BASI has had any input to your skiing,ignore that as well. PMTS is the only way to ski if you wish to improve.
nipper

Postby cheesehead » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:08 am

Brian wrote:Thanks very much for taking the time.
I looked at the video and heard the reference. My concern was that the top inside ski could end up crossing the other ski if it is pulled back too far and it would not be ahead of the lower ski on the traverse. ....Harb ends up in the usual traverse position.

If the skis are parallel, as they always should be (or nearly so) in PMTS, then how could they cross???

I am not sure what you mean by "usual traverse position" but in general it is good to be skeptical about using any traditional terminology and transferring it to PMTS. The concepts of PMTS are rooted in their great simplicity. You don't really need to "understand" the movements, just do them.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby polecat » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:08 am

Brian wrote:.... My concern was that the top inside ski could end up crossing the other ski if it is pulled back too far and it would not be ahead of the lower ski on the traverse. ....

No problemo!

Crossing your tips comes from not enough tipping of the inside ski and/or too much pressure on it (especially heel pressure).

Pulling your skis back won't make them cross. If you use PMTS movements you can pull your skis back hard enough to lift the tails off the snow, press the tips in and bend them big time while staying in complete control.

check out "flapper turns."

note the skis at 1:44sec

With the right movements you can deliberately cross the skis and remain in complete control. In fact, we do it as an exercise. It's called the javelin turn.
polecat

Postby Brian » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:56 pm

Many thanks to you all for such fulsome detailed replies.
Thanks for your time.

Cheers

Brian :-)
Brian

Postby blackthorn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:05 am

I,m looking at the "Bump skiing with master" video. As the skier comes past the camera, at the point where the slope is starting to steepen, I feel the skier is starting to get into a backseat position, probably because there is not enough pull back of the skis in transition. This will start to lead to loss of control. I,m interested in others comments.
blackthorn

Postby BigE » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:53 am

I honestly do not know what to make of the second video. There looks to be an extension before flexion and tipping. It is especially clear that the legs lengthen in the slow motion footage.
BigE

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:30 pm

Let me get this right BigE.

You are seriously suggesting that Mr Harb's legs are extending through transition in that video?

If that's the case.

Come on man!!!

Learn the definition of flexing and look at the knee joints.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System