Booster Straps...any opinions?

PMTS Forum

Booster Straps...any opinions?

Postby Belskisfast » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:22 pm

Any opinions on the Booster strap? I have them on my now retired Technica's and wonder if it's worth putting them on my S12's. The strap on the S12's is very stout although not elastic as is the booster. I always liked them on my Technica's, but the difference may be marginal for the S'12's....??? guess I'm just thinking out loud but would appreciate anyones experience.
I must say that the Head S12's just keep impressing me...wonderful boot and the stance geometry is far superior than my Technica's. I can ski harder, longer, and while some of it is the new to me,PMTS movements, I do believe these boots are a key factor. As are Maria Femeroile's wonderfully custom made footbeds.
All the rotary controversy aside, PMTS simply works. It is working for an old ski dog like me, and my Swiss wife who skied so beautifully she turned heads every run. She now refuses to as she puts it "bob up and down.." And in a few short weeks of PMTS skiing she is skiing faster and steeper than she was comfortable with before. I can feel the results myself and see them in her.
I observed a group lesson the other day and it was disheartening to see the intructor teaching these intermediates to stem their turn entry on a steeper blue slope. They looked like little Wedge Ducklings following him down.
:roll:
Belskisfast

Postby Kent » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:45 am

booster straps are an gimmick don't waste your time
Kent

Thumbs up

Postby Harald » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:07 am

I use Boosters on all my boots as they give me a more moderate flex and they allow me to produce contact higher on the front cuff. With the boosters I can back off on the top buckle, which often causes shin bang. I let the give of the flexible straps control the forward flex of the boot. The booster allows me to modify my flex according to temperature or ski terrain.

On some boots with too much forward lean, we add a booster high on the front tongue to keep the shin more vertical. The nice part is that you don?t have to stiffen the flex unless you want to tighten the strap. I also find the booster makes the top of my liner fit closer to my leg.

Most racers use the booster to modify forward flex according to temperature changes to keep the boots more consistent.

I am not sponsored or other wise compensated by the Booster Company.
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

Postby NoCleverName » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:37 pm

I have no idea whatsoever if they add any "bounce" to your skiing, but they sure do kill off shin bang. Imagine a car on a bumpy road with solid rods for shock absorbors; that's a boot without boosters. Most effective using less-than-tight top buckle. Sort of turns a boot "on" under load, but leaves it confortably "off" at rest.
NoCleverName

Postby Belskisfast » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:16 pm

Thanks Harald, it is sometimes difficult to rely on ones own analysis where subtilties are concerned. The Booster strap seemed like a big improvement on my Technica EX-8's, and are obviously, from your feedback, just a benificial aftermarket inhancement for all boots. Now all I have to do is figure out how to remove the power strap on the S12'S ...they are riveted to the spoiler it appears....and install the Booster's....any tips on this would be most appreciated.
Belskisfast

quick reply

Postby Harald Harb » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:07 pm

I left my old power straps on the boots and just put two screws higher up into the back of the spoiler to hold on the Booster. I use two straps; they give me an even feel, pressure and support.
Harald Harb

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:40 pm

If the S12 is anything like the Salomon, then the adjustable real spoiler is bolted on separate from the power strap via its own rivets. On mine, the spoiler came off and the booster strap went on using new rivets; then the spoiler bolts back on.

NoCleverName

Postby Max » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:53 pm

Harald,

I'm interested in your stock strap/booster strap setup. Do you leave the stock strap fairly loose and then tighten the booster strap?

I have the RS100 and just love it. I pull the stock strap tight when I ski, but if it would be better to have a booster I'm all for trying it.

Thanks,
Max
Max

Re: quick reply

Postby LewBobSki » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:04 pm

Harald Harb wrote:I left my old power straps on the boots and just put two screws higher up into the back of the spoiler to hold on the Booster. I use two straps; they give me an even feel, pressure and support.

Harald, It sounds like you are going back to long thongs! (':lol:')
Nothing new under the sun... BTW, I just got some of the booster straps and also noticed how they could adjust flex as the temperature changed during the day. It is a nice "feature" Lew Black
LewBobSki

Postby GateBasher » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:14 pm

Bode was giving an interview after Wengen SG and had his boots over his shoulder with the Booster Strap clearly visable.
Guess their not a gimmick after all...
GateBasher

Postby snocat » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:01 pm

Just saw this quote from Bode from last month,

?For me having no power strap is better than the Velcro power strap supplied with boots. And the Booster Strap is so better than no power strap?
snocat

boosters

Postby davidpjr » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:22 am

The velcro power straps seem like a waste. They are in my way. I took my Boosters off my old Technicas and put them on my new Salomans. I don't use them for getting a "BOOST". I use them so I can have a solid feel between my shin and the cuff all the time instead of play. This allows for a great feel of foward/aft balance...... I love them.
david pennington
davidpjr

Postby Max » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:21 pm

The Boosters come in three different types: Standard, Super, and World Cup. Any suggestion on how to select the right one?
Max

Postby LewBobSki » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:34 pm

Go their website and they have a chart , using weight and skier ability/agressiveness to help you pick the strap. I got some and am very happy with the change. Lew http://www.theboosterstrap.com
LewBobSki

Re: quick reply

Postby LewBobSki » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:39 pm

Harald Harb wrote:I left my old power straps on the boots and just put two screws higher up into the back of the spoiler to hold on the Booster. I use two straps; they give me an even feel, pressure and support.

Harald, do you put the power strap on the outside of the shell? I am going to try that, hoping it will alllow me to stiffen the boot up for spring skiing. Lew
LewBobSki

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System