Recommendations for 2013/14 Powder Skis?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Recommendations for 2013/14 Powder Skis?

Postby Smackboy1 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:27 pm

Has anybody tried the new crop of powder skis? It's becoming more and more difficult to find anything in the 100+ mm width with zero/limited rocker. Anybody try the new Head flight inspired big mountain skis worth a look (Venturi, Collective, Cyclic, Turbine)?
Skiing: falling down the mountain with style.
Smackboy1

Re: Recommendations for 2013/14 Powder Skis?

Postby Skizoo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:17 pm

I did not ski them but Harald had a pair of Venturi's in the shop last spring. Diana told me she really enjoyed them, Chris Brown was much less enthusiastic. If you're looking for a non rockered ski in the 100MM range, look at the SKi Logik Ullr's TT's, they're non rockered twin tips around 100MM, short turn radius. Opinions vary greatly on the Ski Logiks. I'd suggest looking at the Head RnR's. Though discontinued, they're still available. 94 waist, a really nice ski. I see you're in NJ, the RnR's are a great eastern powder ski. Pretty nice in the trees too.
Skizoo

Postby Smackboy1 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:54 pm

I live in the NE, but this ski would be for powder days at a western resort or a cat/heli trip. Last year I was eyeing the Head Sacrifice and the Rev 105. I'm wondering if the flight series are an improvement or not. The Stockli Stormrider series are looking pretty fetching too.
Skiing: falling down the mountain with style.
Smackboy1

Postby Max_501 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:06 pm

The Rev 105 is a fun ski. I think the Venturi has potential but dang they are fugly.
Max_501

Postby jbotti » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:47 pm

The Rev 105's are nice, user friendly skis for fresh snow. Tight TR and marketing rocker (very modest) make it a nice Pmts pow ski.

You can put me in the camp that dislikes the ullr's chariot. One of the worst skis I have ever been on.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:56 am

If you can, try skiing a Nordica Patron. This ski is shockingly responsive to tipping input for such a wide ski. And, if you really mean to use it as a help-trip/ western deep snow ski it will out float most of the others listed here.

I liked the new line of Rossi deep snow skis when I demoed them last year. I can't think of a more carve specific wide ski that performs really well than the Icelantic Shaman.

However, it should be noted, most heli/ cat outfits rent skis to clients, so maybe looking for a powder ski isn't that necessary.

Skizoo, what Eastern trees did you ski the RnR in that made you like them? I liked the RnR in open spaces at speed and in crud, and on groomers it handles very well for a plank of this size. But in toothy,tight and irregular east coast tree skiing, I found them downright ponderous.

Most skis over 105 today will perform great in the conditions you are looking to use them, they question is how will they handle everything else. Unless they truly are help-trip only and you typically switch skis after the first hour of a powder day.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby Skizoo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:45 am

Skiasaurus Rex wrote:Skizoo, what Eastern trees did you ski the RnR in that made you like them? I liked the RnR in open spaces at speed and in crud, and on groomers it handles very well for a plank of this size. But in toothy,tight and irregular east coast tree skiing, I found them downright ponderous.

Pico, and Okemo, I didn't find them ponderous, The trees where I skied them were not super tight nor the steepest tree runs. It was a limited sampling for sure but I did enjoy them. Also, I was on the 174., not sure what length you were skiing.
Last edited by Skizoo on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skizoo

Postby Max_501 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:41 am

The RnR is an agile pow ski. Fine in tight trees and bumps. If the RnR is giving you problems in short turns then something is missing on the technique side of your BPST.
Max_501

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:00 pm

That's just not my experience, Bro. The RnR is decent in soft bumps, ok in hard bumps, and not that much fun in expert eastern glades. It is great in crud and fine in powder (but so many skis are). I am sure my BPST could be better, though. And, the OP said specifically a ski for helicopter trips and western pow days. The RnR, I suppose would be fine. But I'd prefer the Nordics Patron. I decided to try that ski after I saw someone on this forum (high angles, maybe?) making some nice carved turns on them. They are a surprisingly responsive ski considering the shape and size and I think meets the OP's criteria for powder ski (and, as long ad the snow was soft I'd take those boards in any trees over the rnr. But everyone is different

I daresay even you might like them, Max.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby Max_501 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:37 pm

The RnR is my goto western pow ski. And the best 90+ waisted ski I've been on for tight turns in bumps and trees.
Max_501

Postby seskelson » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:28 pm

I would second the comments of Max501 and John on the Rock N Roll. And I'm with John on the Ullr's Chariot. Bought 'em, hated them, kept them 3 weeks. Soled 'em. Had two of my other patroller friends try them -- ditto for them. And yes, I had them re-tuned, which is often suggested to correct them. On the R Nr roll last year I bought a pair of 174 cm. Incredibly agile. But I sold them to move up to the 181 cm which I will use this year. Just a little more float for the powder at Grand Targhee.
seskelson

Postby Max_501 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:20 pm

seskelson wrote:And I'm with John on the Ullr's Chariot. Bought 'em, hated them, kept them 3 weeks.

Luckily I didn't buy the Chariot but I tried John's. I didn't like them either.
Max_501

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:58 pm

Max_501 wrote:The RnR is my goto western pow ski. And the best 90+ waisted ski I've been on for tight turns in bumps and trees.

I do like the RnR, I just like it for different reasons, in fact, the opposite reasons that you do and in places where speed and space are appropriate, and the snow is anything other than bullet proof-so I guess that would include powder.

I guess that's why it pays to demo. So, for the OP your recommendation is the Head RnR? That's better than the IconTT 80 that used to get recommended around here as the ultimate PMTS all mountain ski :D Seriously, for most folks the RnR would be a fine choice. Though, given the specific parameters of the original question I suspect there may be better choices.

Do you still ski the Shamans, Max? How do they stack up against the RnR? Have you ever tried the Patrons? Their top sheets are only slightly less garish than the Motorhead Green of the RnR's.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby Max_501 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:21 pm

Skiasaurus Rex wrote:Do you still ski the Shamans, Max?

No.

Skiasaurus Rex wrote:How do they stack up against the RnR?

The RnR is hands down my favorite pow ski to date.

Skiasaurus Rex wrote:Have you ever tried the Patrons?

One of the guys I ski with often demo'd it. Described it as unresponsive which is not a surprise. I've never been on a Nordica that has a flex pattern that works for me. And it has tip flap which I hate.
Max_501

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:57 am

I never noticed any tip flap with the Patron, but I didn't ski them at mach 1 speeds on hard pack either. I found them surprisingly nimble, quick. Definitively a different ski than the RnR, and certainly within the 'new crop' of powder skis (though the design is in it's 3rd or 4th season. Some say that Helldorado is even better(due to a sheet of metal), but I can't say having never skied it.

I thought of another ski I tried and I am thinking of it because my buddy is selling his and I might buy it! That is the DPS Wailer 99. One of the things I've noticed...and maybe the leaders of the crew here will share their viewpoints on this...is that ski design has gotten to the point where sub 100mm skis provide more float and soft-snow maneuverability than 110mm plus waisted skis of just a few years ago. There are a ton of slightly sub 100mm waisted skis that are wonderful in powder, but also nimble and easier to tip on edge (due to a narrower waist) than much wider skis. The DPS Wailer 99 was one of those in my experience. Again, like the Patron, when you look at the shape, you wouldn't think so-but The wailer really responds well to tip to turn movements. It's quick and stable, and frankly, one of the best easy to ski-high performance ratio wider boards I have tried. I have never Skied the Blizzard Bonafide-but I get the impression that is also another example of the very versatile powder/ tree/ western soft snow/ occasional hard snow sub 100mm killers as well (and, if you can't find the RnR-or just hate Lemmy-probably a good second option).
Skiasaurus Rex

Next

Return to Gear