Off piste - technique and tactics

PMTS Forum

Re: Off piste - technique and tactics

Postby B.Mulligan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:33 am

I love HH's short blog on pow, that along with Expert skier 2 and the Deslaurier books were real eye openers about effective off piste technique.

And it rings true even with top free skiers. Check out marcus caston in this short, in-bounds powder segment from tahoe last season. You can see the technique,

B.Mulligan

Postby h.harb » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:10 pm

Funny story, Marcus was climbing solo at French's Dome near hood 2 summers ago. I was with Harrison, he recognized me and introduced himself. He asked, are you Harald Harb, and I helped him on one of his climbs, now we are friends. He likes PMTS.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:48 pm

Bounce for this season. Lots of good info on ripping off piste here.
Max_501

Postby blackthorn » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:28 pm

When skiing off piste I'm prepared to flex at any time. I never know when I might run into a bump that will challenge my balance or toss me into the air. I try to time terrain absorption with a release.

The key is to flex aggressively to absorb the bumpy terrain...

and then drive the skis right back down to the snow while tipping to the new edges.

This is from Max501 in the first page of this thread with two great images. I can't seem to copy these through, maybe someone else can.

Max says "then drive the skis right back down to the snow while tipping to the new edges."
My question is - "what movements are used to achieve this?"
blackthorn

Postby Max_501 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:07 pm

blackthorn wrote:I can't seem to copy these through, maybe someone else can.

and then drive the skis right back down to the snow while tipping to the new edges.

blackthorn wrote:Max says "then drive the skis right back down to the snow while tipping to the new edges."
My question is - "what movements are used to achieve this?"

After the flex to suck up the bump I extend my legs so the skis stay on the snow while simultaneously tipping for the new turn.

Harald has a blog post that has some great pics showing the timing: http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/2011/ ... pping.html
Max_501

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System