"My turn shape is better, when I lift the inside ski"

PMTS Forum

"My turn shape is better, when I lift the inside ski"

Postby NoCleverName » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:52 am

So I'm over on Epic for my monthly laugh fest and this guy posts the above topic and video with the question "What should I do?"

The guy is clearly tipping, nicely I might add. But that didn't stop them from trying to talk him out of proceeding down that path!

So sad when success can't be recognized for what it is.
NoCleverName

Re: "My turn shape is better, when I lift the inside ski"

Postby JMD » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:14 am

I also enjoy the laughs posted on Epic. Along with your Turn Shape is Better, is their "Is carving on the way out". Really funny, but so sad.
JMD

Postby ChuckT » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:32 am

Not really true. Here is what Skidude72, a regular poster there I think, advised: "We have a saying "hide the drill, keep the skill". As Rusty wrote, just mellow out the lifting...at the moment you are lifting the ski about 10 inches...next time go for 6inches, then 3inches, then 1 inch, then 1/2inch, then 1/4 inch....then go ski!". Not too far off from "Lifting is learning, lightening is..."

Epic is an open forum with no regulation on technical content. I can post the stupidest thing about skiing there and if nobody bothers to call me out, I can put on an air of authority on Epic. It's good to have bona fide PMTS skiers like Heluva throwing out a red flag here and there to caution beginners. But if one reads that forum with a critical mind and filters out the pretension, it can be interesting. I just wished they were not so anti-HSS to the point that mentioning Harald and PMTS is verboten (at least that's my impression).
ChuckT

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:43 am

ChuckT wrote:Epic is an open forum with no regulation on technical content.

Really?
Max_501

Postby ChuckT » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 am

I guess so. Do they really have "technical editors" responsible for the content of the posts or to say "this is incorrect"? If true, that would be funny.
ChuckT

Postby NoCleverName » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:37 am

True, ChuckT, one poster had marginally useful advice ... essentially, as you "own" what is going on you don't have to exaggerate it. The "laugh" part is there was no recognition why this drill was "succeeding", just do "less of it" in the hopes that "something you might have learned" stays with you". And you skipped over the really funny stuff about pushing the raised ski's tip progressively harder into the snow.

It's no better than young teens explaining sex to each other. Maybe worse.
NoCleverName

Postby NoCleverName » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:44 am

Here's a beautiful quote from that thread which pretty much sums it up and would cause HH's head to explode:

Seeking advice once you've felt the good feeling is often confusing and derails your attention from where it needs to be. Focus on the good feeling and make it happen.
NoCleverName

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:54 am

ChuckT wrote:I guess so. Do they really have "technical editors" responsible for the content of the posts or to say "this is incorrect"? If true, that would be funny.

As a test of this theory, jump into the thread you reference above and tell the skier in question exactly what he needs to do to become an expert. Let us know how it goes.
Max_501

Postby ChuckT » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:22 am

Max_501 wrote:
ChuckT wrote:I guess so. Do they really have "technical editors" responsible for the content of the posts or to say "this is incorrect"? If true, that would be funny.

As a test of this theory, jump into the thread you reference above and tell the skier in question exactly what he needs to do to become an expert. Let us know how it goes.

Ah, I think I got what you meant. It's not really an "open forum". I am allowed to say any nonsensical thing, but ironically I would be banned if I reference PMTS or the Essentials. That is probably true.
ChuckT

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:50 am

ChuckT wrote:Ah, I think I got what you meant. It's not really an "open forum". I am allowed to say any nonsensical thing, but ironically I would be banned if I reference PMTS or the Essentials. That is probably true.

No need to reference PMTS or the Essentials. Just explain what the route to expert skiing is from your point of view.
Max_501

Postby ChuckT » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:07 pm

Max_501 wrote:No need to reference PMTS or the Essentials. Just explain what the route to expert skiing is from your point of view.

I think I can predict what would happen. Some folks would jump on me. Lest silence be taken as submission, I would argue back. Then I would get two reactions among these folks. The nicer ones would say I should be more open minded, there is no right or wrong etc. Others would allege that I had dark motives, having drunk the Kool-Aid, which would pissed me off. In fact, that's what happened in this thread where I asked questions that perhaps any random skier who has studied and benefited from HH's book would have asked.

http://www.epicski.com/t/115477/a-quest ... urning/180

You may find my post (#184) amusing. Some people PMed me that they had a good laugh.

But there are people on Epic who, as far as I can tell, are very knowledgeable and say things that make me think more. Some times I wonder if these folks are actually PMTS skiers. I think Heluva posts there once in awhile, but there may be others.
ChuckT

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:21 pm

I don't know why anyone would stick it out over there at Epic. It's like drilling teeth so frustrating. Then they refer to their own selected quote "Experts" the ones that have absolutely, no clue about how a ski turn is made, yet they are Epic experts. It doesn't matter if you have combined 40 years of teaching information, if all of it is based on what doesn't work. It's 40 years of crap.

This statement alone tells you how confused they are.
As far as your critique that my posts lack substance, I suggest you re-read the several thousand posts I've written over the years. There's more than enough substance in those posts to keep you busy for a few years.

So that's what it takes on Epic, several thousand posts to try to figure out if you have substance/ I think only one of the well written posts on this forum would answer your question.
h.harb

Postby BigE » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:47 pm

I just followed the link to Epic.... and wasted 20 minutes of my life just trying to get to the topic. Yiikes.
BigE

Postby jbotti » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:23 pm

BigE wrote:I just followed the link to Epic.... .

First big mistake!!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby ChuckT » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:10 pm

BigE wrote:I just followed the link to Epic.... and wasted 20 minutes of my life just trying to get to the topic. Yiikes.

But you knew that before clicking on the link, right? If I'm not mistaken you were a regular poster there when I first joined. And Harald's post above with a priceless quote from a Epic hotshot (I think) should have warned you that it was all fluff. This is like eating candies then complaining they are too sugary.

I eat candies from time to time for fun, but don't rely on them for nutrition or complain they have too much sugar. I know. Everybody here does.
ChuckT

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System