Harb Carvers - thoughts?

PMTS Forum

Harb Carvers - thoughts?

Postby sbalan » Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:06 am

Hi, New registered user and first time post. Having skiied with Harald & Diana in one or more of their camps for almost 4 seasons now (our whole family does so) and having done the dryland in-line skate exercises in past summers, I am sold on the Harb carvers as "the" off-season training tool to keep the feet and legs in tune for carving movements - it should also help to build muscle memory and sustain it.

I had the opportunity to try out the slalom model Harb carver. Within 20 minutes I received instant feedback about the subtlties in my foot movements which I tend to get away with on skis as the snow is more forgiving than the pavement. One example is my tendency when tipping the free foot to its LTE is to lift the heel a bit more than the toe end of the foot and quickly rotate the heel back towards the stance foot. This is less efficient than the entire free foot tipping toward its LTE and engaging the outside edge of the ski...not efficient or clean in terms of carving. When I did this move which amounts to a lift and place of the heel while moving, the Harb Carver gave me instant feedback of friction/vibration of the wheel contacting the pavement and trying to setlle in to a smooth roll (I am sure Diana has a wonderful sound to describe this :-) It is better to learn to tip and continue to tip in the carver to avoid this feedback and its negative impact to one's balance. This should translate to smooth edge to edge transitions (RTE) while skiing and cleaner carved turns.

I am sold on the carvers and am eagerly awaiting my pair! I am also looking forward to next ski season after a summer in the carvers.

Subra
sbalan

Carvers on the way

Postby h.harb » Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:18 am

Hello sbalan,

We have just received our new shipment of Harb Carvers, slalom model. After this next batch is sent out to anxious skiers there should be about fifty pair around the country. But it is winter in most of the country so some users will be sking.

I know a few carver users are already reporting back and they are telling us they are having fun and improving their skiing. Some comments are, ?saw instant transfer effect to my on snow turns?. As soon as we have more feedback we?ll get some up on the forum.
h.harb

Postby Jeff Markham » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:52 pm

For those who haven't seen a pair of Harb Carvers, I can attest that they are made like tractors. Absolutely indestructible. If they ever go into mass production, I hope that they retain some of the sturdiness.

After talking with Harald. I definitely want a pair, but will wait until this ski season is over and I'm entering skiing withdrawal.
Jeff Markham

Postby -- SCSA » Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:22 pm

Hi all,

I'm going to try the carvers once ski season is over. I'm skiing enough now that -- that's all the time I have!

But I'm excited to try them and I'm excited to "ski all year long."
:D
-- SCSA

Postby Little Devil » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:48 am

My problem is that where I live it is either flat or very steep and with lots of cars either parked or going up and down the hill. Does not sound like a good idea to skate down this kind of hill. And on flat it may not be all that useful. :?
What's a poor girl to do to keep working on her skiing skills, short of moving to the Rockies? :(
Little Devil

Postby Jim » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:59 pm

Little Devil - Are there any office parks near you? I used to rollerblade in the parking lot outside my office in a corner where it was deserted. I don't think it takes much of an incline to start and as you get better, steep is fun. The other advantage is that the asphalt in parking lots tends to be alot smoother than roads where more traffic wear and tear makes for a bumpier ride.
Jim

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System