Super Phantom & Weighted Release

PMTS Forum

Super Phantom & Weighted Release

Postby md » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:53 am

Whilst I realise that this topic may have been covered before I have a few questions after watching the Vol 2 Video.

1. Super Phantom Move - can this be described as simply an early release - ie you are getting a head start on the turn by balancing on the uphill edge as a precursser to tipping the free foot (downhill ski).

2. Weighted Release - can this be described as a more gradual release ie more of a roll to flatten skis and then tip. This would give a greater feeling of float as there is a moment when the skis are flat & pointing downhill.

Or am I simplfying things too much??

My real question is when should I use which move? I know in powder the weighted release is the go but what about moderate hills (eg blues) and steeps. In regard to steeps, I was taught (in a CSIA not PMTS) class not to point my skis downhill in steeps as I would pick up too much speed and basically hop or twist the skis around. So my 2nd question is what does PMTS teach in steeps (ie double blacks). This isn't covered in Vol 2.

Any help / comments would be great. Thanks.
md

Postby *SCSA » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:52 am

Hiya md,
It's me, SCSA.

I'll try to help ya out. But keep in mind, I am not a skee instruktor.

1) Yeah, I think you got it right. I'd just call it a release.

2) I try to keep it simple too. I'm not smart enough for anything else. :wink: I call the WR as making turns with your downhill foot. You're basically just starting each turn, by rolling the downhill foot over to to it's LTE.

As far as when to use a two footed or one footed release, I can say for sure in deeper/thicker snow, I make turns by flexing up both legs and getting some float -- I make sure I get both skis flat before tipping over. I'd say a two footed release is my plan all the time. On blues? One footed release. On steeps? Definitely one footed. I'm standing way hard on my downhill ski to keep the edge. Then when I start the new turn, I just think about relaxing it, flexing it up and tipping it over. So that's one footed.

On some steeps, sometimes I go uphill for a moment first -- the dreaded uphill move that Barnes complains about. I guess sometimes I do, but whatever. Sometimes an up move is what keeps you up. :wink:

We've talked about the release a bunch here. Why? Because it's everything! PMTS, is all about the release. It's a series of exercises and progressions that teaches a skier to balance on the edges. Learn to balance on the edges and you've learned the release. If you can release, you naturally have a bullet proof short turn. If you have a bullet proof short turn, there's nothing you can't ski.

I feel the release is the holy grail of skiing. It's what separates skiers. Those that can release their edges cleanly, with no flinch, those that can't. I think it's also what takes the most work, because it requires the ability to balance on the edges. If you're following PMTS, you'll get to where you can release your edges cleanly. It just takes practice.
*SCSA

Postby md » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:15 pm

Thanks SCSA. I guess the release has to be done very quickly in steeps as you don't want to spent too long in the fall line but at the same time you need to be conscience not to force the turn (ie don't twist skis). Does that mean that the super phantom is less effective in steeps because it is harder to balance on the uphill edge or is it just harder to do?

Interested in anyone else's views. Thanks.
md

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System