Head iPeak 90 vs. Kastle FX94

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Head iPeak 90 vs. Kastle FX94

Postby wfhullsiek » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:16 pm

Time to replace my Dynastar Intuitive 74 (2003 vintage) with something that does better off-piste (Montana, Colorado, Lake Tahoe, Utah) resorts. Have looked at the reviews on RealSkiers.com and I am considering:

Head IPeak 90
    Kastle FX94
    Goode Impact
    Ski Logik Ullr Chariot

Most likely, the length will be in 170-178 cm range (160 Lbs, 55 years old).

I demo'ed the Dynastar Legend 85 in Keystone on a slushie bump day in March, but noted that this is the end of the year for the Legend - so may be time to consider something different. I have Harb's books and his DVD's - and it appears I should be looking at something that can really carve. Was wondering if the Kastle FX94 or the SKi Logik are really worth the money. The Head iPeak seem to be a good value. Open to any opinion.
wfhullsiek

Re: Head iPeak 90 vs. Kastle FX94

Postby Mac » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:29 am

I have limited experience with the Peak 90. Seems to be a good ski. Max did a review of the Peak series on the forum here. He would be the one that would know. He probably also has some experience with the other models you mentioned. Dawgcatching also did a detailed report on the Peak series. I think the same report is on Epic, or Dawg's own site dawgcatching.com. I just bought a pair of the Peak 84's. Skiing primarily in New England, I seldom need anything wider than that. I feel that they are a little more stout than the 90, with a little more metal in them, but they are outstanding on hardpack as well as being very confidence inspiring in junk snow. I think I also did a review of the Peak 84's in the gear section. And I got a smokin' deal on them.
Mac

Postby marsound » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:51 pm

I second Mac's opinion of the Peak 84. Outstanding ski. Really cuts through crud and crust and holds well on hardpack. Great 50/50 ski, a real SUV (I think someone on this forum likened them to a Porsche Cayenne). Actually, I'm now going 75-85% off piste with this ski, which is new for me (and due to how confidence-inspiring they are).

I ski Tahoe, and I don't feel I need anything wider for 99% of the conditions I encounter. And I'll suffer with them on the 1% (or less) super deep, untracked pow days...

I recommend demoing them along side the Peak 90 if you can.
marsound

Postby Max_501 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:41 pm

For me the Peak 90 is better off-piste than the 84. I did not like the Chariots. Haven't skied the others.
Max_501

Postby jbotti » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:42 pm

I do like the Peak 84 a lot but I have not skied the Peak 90's and Max has and he likes that ski a lot as well. I have skied the Ski Logik Chariots pretty extensively in a lot of different conditions. In everything other than soft fresh fluffy new snow, I find the ski quite lacking and the factory tune that they come with is pretty much unskiable. There are better and more versatile skis for you to be focusing on.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby seskelson » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:19 am

May I echo some of the comments of John and Max. I have not skiied the Kasstle or Peak 90. I own the Peak 84 and it is great. It is becoming my replacement for my M78 as my do it all ski. I owned the Chariot last year. Kept it three weeks and ebayed it. In new fluffy powder - it was OK (just OK, not great) on anything else --I second John's comments. And it wasn't just me. I let three other patrollers try them while I owned them.
seskelson

Postby Mac » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:40 am

You might also want to add the Head Rock and Roll 94 to your list. I had a chance to try them earlier in the season. If I was in the market for a ski of that waist size, it would be my choice of the rather limited ones of that width that I tried.
Mac

Postby jbotti » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:56 am

Head Rock n Roll is a very sweet ski and one of the best all around off piste skis made. Having said that I watched Harald ski GS turns on the RnR on very steep groomed terrain and you woud have thorugh he was on a race stock GS ski. For a ski as good, fun, versatile off piste (which does make off piste terrain easier to ski corrcetly/with PMTS movements) it also arcs beautifully on hard snow with the right pilot. I cannot do what Harald was doing with the RnR's on hard snow but in my limited time on them (maybe 2 half days) I was starting to get comfortable laying them over pretty far and they repsonded nicely.

Definitely a worthy ski to have on the list. Another ski Head is discontinuing for next year!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby HighAngles » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:19 am

jbotti wrote:Definitely a worthy ski to have on the list. Another ski Head is discontinuing for next year!

The Rock'n Roll is in the 2012-13 Head dealer workbook. I believe that we will have it in the U.S. next season. It's the Inferno that will be gone (replaced by the Sacrifice which is almost identical to the Rev 105, but a bit softer).
HighAngles

Postby wfhullsiek » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:17 pm

I placed the Head Rev 85 177 cm on order today along with some Look bindings from Dawgcatching.com :D . Read the reviews from realskiers.com, pmts and epicski.com. The Head and Dynastar seem to be best values. Was torn between the Head iPeak 85 and the Head iPeak 90 - so I decided on the Rev 85. Go figure - other than I live in the flatlands (MN), but ski in the Rockies - so it is difficult to demo skis.

Will post my results after ski trips next year to Heavenly and to Alta/Snowbird. Thanks for the opinions - I do appreciate the honesty of the pmts forums. One of these days, I will need to attend one of Harb's camps!
wfhullsiek

Return to Gear