Where should I start?

PMTS Forum

Where should I start?

Postby absentskier » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Hello all.

Although I first heard of HH and HBS about 5 years ago, it has really only been in the last week that I have had a look at the various websites associated with Harald. And I have to say it has been quite a depressing discovery. I say this because there is little prospect of me getting to the snow anytime soon to try to put some of the things I am reading and seeing into action!

I am an Aussie with 3 small kids and I have had about 3 days skiing in the last 4 years, total, hence my username! This is driving me crazy because I am completely obsessed with the mountains and skiing, despite not having done all that much growing up. Pretty much it's all I think about.

From what I have read so far (and that is not much yet), I am intrigued with PMTS. Watching Harald ski is a joy to behold. Max_501 looks pretty darned good to me too (and I read THAT Epic.ski thread in which Max posted video of himself and was then critiqued. Wow, talk about ski politics!). Given that I still have trouble initiating turns on steeper slopes without the dreaded stem/wedge appearing, I would love to work with PMTS to learn to ski properly.

I am going to buy some of Harald's books and DVDs and start to do some of the dryland exercises. In the short term, I guess there is nothing else I can do. I'll make sure I have a few days on the snow next Aus winter, but the main aim is to instil a love of the mountains into my little ones so that they start nagging +1 to let me take them skiing!! Down the track, I would love to attend a HSS camp, but the dates and location do not look to fit with me at the moment. Is there any chance that further camps will be run at other locations in Nth America in the future? Any plans for HSS to expand so that there are more instructors teaching PMTS?

I really hope that in one way or another I am able to go on a PMTS journey of learning, discovery and, above all, fun.

Thanks and I hope all of you lucky enough to be skiing this coming northern winter have a great season.
absentskier

Re: Where should I start?

Postby MonsterMan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:24 pm

Welcome, and enjoy the ride.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby geoffda » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:53 pm

Welcome. Don't underestimate the power of dry land! Your first task should be to gain an understanding of what tipping is so you can begin to develop the movements. You can absolutely do that with dry land practice--and if snow time is at a premium, building a tipping board would be very worthwhile. Post some video of your dry land exercises and we can make sure you are developing proper movements.
geoffda

Postby h.harb » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:08 pm

Thanks for joining in; we are about helping one skier at a time. Not trying to fool the masses like the rest of the ski teaching world..
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:13 pm

Do not underestimate the drills either. If snow time is limited, I would invest in a set of Harb Carvers and do the drills. There is a thread in a MA section right now that shows just how good you can become on carvers. Those movements will translate straight to the snow when you do make it out to ski. Tipping board, carvers, practice.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Max_501 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:26 pm

Start by reading Anyone can be an Expert Skier 1: The New Way to Ski and watching the DVD that goes with it.

Here's a thread about the tipping board which is a great for practicing tipping at home.

http://www.pmts.org/pmtsforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1508
Max_501

Postby absentskier » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:02 pm

Thank you all for your responses.

A quick question: where does the book "Essentials of Skiing" fit with ACBAES 1 and 2? Does it follow them?
absentskier

Postby Max_501 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:32 pm

Start with Book 1. Once you have it mastered move to Book 2. Essentials can be read for extra drills and instruction in conjunction with or after reading Book 2.
Max_501

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:32 pm

For me Essentials helped tie all of the material in books 1 and 2 together into a framework that I could get my brain around. It also helped redefine how I look at skiing. That said, the true value of Essentials is meaningless without an understanding of the first two books. So, as Max said - start at the beginning. I believe that is what he did and it worked out okay for him... perhaps that's an understatement. 8)

HeluvaSkier

Postby BigE » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:16 am

I started understanding PMTS with the Essentials. To me, it was essential to get that sorted out before I could do stuff. But, then I had some CSIA/CSCF training to undo.
BigE

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:30 am

BigE wrote:But, then I had some CSIA/CSCF training to undo.

It is always more difficult if you have preconceived notions about ski technique. Not only do you have to un-do your movement patterns, but also your mental model of a ski turn.

HeluvaSkier

Postby Matt » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:18 pm

I started with the essentials last year, and it was great for improving carving. To be a complete skier you also need short radius turns etc and a lot of those basics are in the other books. I have read the other books now, just waiting for some snow. I will spend a lot more time developing a BPSRT this year. The temperature is off with month compared to last year here :cry:
Matt

Postby BigE » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:48 pm

Yes Heluva.... once established, an incorrect mental model is really hard to undo. It is no surprise why many fully certified csia/cscf won't understand pmts -- it does not fit their mental model. It took me years to get PMTS to fit into mine, and I'm not fully certified -- I don't even teach/coach anymore. I'm spending too much time running after my own kids to worry about the kids of others.

That and without being a full cert, one has no credibility. None at all.
BigE

Postby daviskpjr » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:13 pm

My experience is similar to Matt's in that I began with Essentials but didn't learn the two-footed release for the BPSRT until I attended Dark Blue camp the next season...Big thanks to Rich and Harald! I picked up the PMTS Instructors Manual after camp which proved very helpful to me as the season progressed. I have not read Expert Skier 1 & 2, but I did find the combinaiton of Essentials, Camp and the Instructors Manual extremely beneficial. I am particularly fond of the Instructor manual having relied on it to share what I learned with a few friends. I found that my own skiing improved while teaching my friends.
daviskpjr

Postby jbotti » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:49 pm

Very few do it, but if you want to ski like Max, you should start wih Book 1 and master all the drills and pass all the exams and then move to book 2. Then into the essentials. This is the proven way to progress fastest.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System