Loveland Day 1

PMTS Forum

Loveland Day 1

Postby pak6712 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:55 am

So, yesterday I went out to Loveland in the afternoon. This was the first time I've been on skis in years. The first time down I just skied the way I had used to ski in the past and I immediately realized I was skiing aft with a heel push. As I tried to lean forward more to get away being aft the tips of my skies started to cross more and bang against each other and I felt I had less control. Does this make sense to anybody? Would this be caused by my heel push still? Sorry, no video since I was there by myself.
Next time I go (in two weeks) I intend to start with the basics from the books. It was more difficult to do that yesterday with only Catwalk/Mambo/Homerun being open and in pretty bad condition by the time I got there in the afternoon. I'll also capture some video.
pak6712

Re: Loveland Day 1

Postby HeluvaSkier » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:36 am

When you moved forward you engaged the tips of your skis and were not prepared for the result.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby pak6712 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:21 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:When you moved forward you engaged the tips of your skis and were not prepared for the result.

Ok, sounds like starting with the pmts basics and go from there is the way to go. Duh! :)
pak6712

Postby Erik » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:41 am

PaulK wrote:This was the first time I've been on skis in years.

What kind of skis and boots were you on at Loveland? The technologies in them have changed a lot, and you might face some extra challenges in learning PMTS depending on what kind of skis and boots you are using. Also, if you are just getting back into skiing, the faster you can get into PMTS, the less time you will have to reinforce old bad habits or create new bad habits.

PaulK wrote:I immediately realized I was skiing aft with a heel push.

Awareness that you are in the back seat and pushing your heel is a good start. However, there is no substitute for good coaching and video analysis.

PaulK wrote:As I tried to lean forward more to get away being aft the tips of my skies started to cross more and bang against each other and I felt I had less control.

Look at what Harald says in the books and videos about achieving fore/aft balance by pulling your feet back rather than leaning forward. Also, take a look at what he says about keeping the hands in a forward position.
Erik

Postby pak6712 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:14 am

Erik wrote:
PaulK wrote:This was the first time I've been on skis in years.

What kind of skis and boots were you on at Loveland? The technologies in them have changed a lot, and you might face some extra challenges in learning PMTS depending on what kind of skis and boots you are using.

The skis are new K2 Apache Raider, 165 cm, with new boots as well (Atomic LF). Also, I don't believe I'm knock-kneed or bow-legged.

Erik wrote:Also, if you are just getting back into skiing, the faster you can get into PMTS, the less time you will have to reinforce old bad habits or create new bad habits.

PaulK wrote:I immediately realized I was skiing aft with a heel push.

Awareness that you are in the back seat and pushing your heel is a good start. However, there is no substitute for good coaching and video analysis.

I certainly believe that. However, a PMTS camp is not in my immediate future so I will record some video and hope for comments from the seasoned veterans of this forum.

Erik wrote:
PaulK wrote:As I tried to lean forward more to get away being aft the tips of my skies started to cross more and bang against each other and I felt I had less control.

Look at what Harald says in the books and videos about achieving fore/aft balance by pulling your feet back rather than leaning forward. Also, take a look at what he says about keeping the hands in a forward position.

Ah, yes, good advice! Pulling back instead of leaning forward.
What I'm hoping to do next time is to start with the basic exercises of the books with regards to tipping. My hands were in a forward position and I was paying attention to CA, but I do believe I could use some practice with tipping fundamentals. And since it all starts with tipping I'm anxious to get that right.
pak6712

Postby geoffda » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:33 am

The other thing to consider is that you are probably over-terrained at the moment. What you really want is something on the order of Wrangler at A-Basin; something so flat that speed control isn't any kind of an issue whatsoever and you can devote all of your concentration to movements. Since that won't be an option for a while, I'd suggest starting with the static tipping drills, both dry-land and in the flats. If you have Book 1, it would be useful to do the various stepping and shuffling drills as well (if there is enough room a the base). You can also do these drills at home with skis on (just throw down an old piece of carpet). Once on the hill, focus on the two-footed release, one turn at a time, to a full stop. Again, the goal is to put yourself in a position where you can focus on the movements, rather than trying to control speed. If you have a VR pass, there area bunch of us PMTSers that ski at A-Basin regularly. Shoot me a PM if you want to join.
geoffda

Postby Erik » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:16 pm

pak6712 wrote:The skis are new K2 Apache Raider, 165 cm, with new boots as well (Atomic LF). Also, I don't believe I'm knock-kneed or bow-legged.

It appears that the K2 Apache Raider has a 74mm waist. You will be working harder to learn to tip those skis than a narrower-waisted (less than 72mm) ski. Many PMTS skiers use wider skis in all mountain conditions, but use narrower skis for PMTS practice on the groomers (mine are 66mm waist). Once you start to practice tipping drills seriously, try demoing some narrower skis for comparison.

The Atomic LF boot looks like a boot with two buckles plus booster strap. That is a rather unusual configuration. Learn what the static and dynamic characteristics of your boots are, and how they may be helping or hindering various aspects of your skiing. (For example, the ramp angle on my old boots was contributing to me being in the back seat.) Skiing videos and even photos of you in your boots could be helpful in getting feedback on this from those who know a lot more about that subject than me. If you read the section on bootfitting at the end of Expert Skier 1, you will read about some characteristics of boots and footbeds. Read the section about footbeds carefully - having a non-rigid footbed is important for PMTS.
Erik

Postby pak6712 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:42 pm

geoffda wrote:The other thing to consider is that you are probably over-terrained at the moment. What you really want is something on the order of Wrangler at A-Basin; something so flat that speed control isn't any kind of an issue whatsoever and you can devote all of your concentration to movements. Since that won't be an option for a while, I'd suggest starting with the static tipping drills, both dry-land and in the flats. If you have Book 1, it would be useful to do the various stepping and shuffling drills as well (if there is enough room a the base). You can also do these drills at home with skis on (just throw down an old piece of carpet). Once on the hill, focus on the two-footed release, one turn at a time, to a full stop. Again, the goal is to put yourself in a position where you can focus on the movements, rather than trying to control speed. If you have a VR pass, there area bunch of us PMTSers that ski at A-Basin regularly. Shoot me a PM if you want to join.

That makes perfect sense to me. Practice where the slope is gentle enough not to cause me to pick up too much speed. I do have Book 1. The two-footed release appeals to me as well as it is limited in scope and movement so that there are not too many things to think of at once. Unfortunately, the only pass I have is one for Loveland right now. Any recommendation on the best run (i.e. flattest) at Loveland? I guess once they have more runs open I can check out the various green slopes and see which one works best.
pak6712

Postby pak6712 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:50 pm

Erik wrote:
pak6712 wrote:The skis are new K2 Apache Raider, 165 cm, with new boots as well (Atomic LF). Also, I don't believe I'm knock-kneed or bow-legged.

It appears that the K2 Apache Raider has a 74mm waist. You will be working harder to learn to tip those skis than a narrower-waisted (less than 72mm) ski. Many PMTS skiers use wider skis in all mountain conditions, but use narrower skis for PMTS practice on the groomers (mine are 66mm waist). Once you start to practice tipping drills seriously, try demoing some narrower skis for comparison.

The Atomic LF boot looks like a boot with two buckles plus booster strap. That is a rather unusual configuration. Learn what the static and dynamic characteristics of your boots are, and how they may be helping or hindering various aspects of your skiing. (For example, the ramp angle on my old boots was contributing to me being in the back seat.) Skiing videos and even photos of you in your boots could be helpful in getting feedback on this from those who know a lot more about that subject than me. If you read the section on bootfitting at the end of Expert Skier 1, you will read about some characteristics of boots and footbeds. Read the section about footbeds carefully - having a non-rigid footbed is important for PMTS.

Thanks for taking the time to look up the specifics of my skis and boots! Demoing is an option, I hadn't considered that. It would be interesting to see how much of a difference that makes.
Yes, the Atomic are unusual. I got them mainly because of my wide forefoot, and they fit my feet really well overall. I did read the boot-fitting section in book 1 when I first got it but I will check out the foot-beds part.
pak6712

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System