Ski of the Decade

PMTS Forum

Ski of the Decade

Postby h.harb » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:15 pm

Harald Harb picks the, "Ski of the Decade".

How do I set the criteria for a "Ski of the Decade", simple, it has to be a perennial favorite. It has to lead the rest of the skis offered in the ski industry and do it for a majority of skiers.

My pick is the Head, Super Shape! From day one when it was introduced, it made skiing and learning easier for all levels of skiers. it tells you how to ski and responds to your desires to make a ski carve and control an arc. It's a spoiler, almost too easy. When I ski a Super Shape; I have to pinch myself, is it me or the ski. I go to my other skis to check if I can do the same turns, I often can, but it's more effort, more technical, more experience needed to do the same thing.

I am starting the season on Super Shapes, because they are easier to ski at a very high level, with high level arcs, without stretching the limits of my knees, muscles and energy. It was way ahead of it's time when it arrived about 6 years ago, and it's still a leader in the field today with the Kers System.
h.harb

Re: Ski of the Decade

Postby jbotti » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:27 pm

Yeah the SS would also be my pick. The all mountain ski of the decade IMO is the IM 78. The combo of the two is the two ski quiver of the decade!!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Mac » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:31 pm

Does the KERS system affect how the ski performs in regard to length? In other words, if someone skis the older model in a 170, would it be advisable to consider dropping down to a 165 w/KERS? If a 200+ pounder like me was on the fence trying to decide between a 170 and a 175, would the KERS make it advisable to lean towards the 170?
Thanks
Mac

Postby onyxjl » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:29 pm

I am very glad to have come across PMTS and purchased a Supershape four years ago instead of getting sucked into buying the more mainstream all-mountain recommendations at the time.
onyxjl

Postby nugget » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:58 pm

My experience is similar to others. Thanks to this forum and Harald's recommendations I would highly likely buy any ski he recommends without even testing it first (apart from different lengths). He has stated that he would not recommend a ski that would not lend itself to effective and efficient skiing (PMTS). For me that ski has been the Supershape.
Admittedly, it did take awhile to get my money's worth out of it and there is certainly still more room for improvement :)
nugget

Postby ToddW » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:54 pm

Mac wrote:Does the KERS system affect how the ski performs in regard to length? In other words, if someone skis the older model in a 170, would it be advisable to consider dropping down to a 165 w/KERS? If a 200+ pounder like me was on the fence trying to decide between a 170 and a 175, would the KERS make it advisable to lean towards the 170?
Thanks

Mac,

I don't think KERS will change your length preference in Supershapes. I've skied the non-KERS and KERS supershapes back to back in 170cm.

1. At slower speeds (balance drills, the mixing bowl or the cat walk down from skyeship gondola, etc.) they feel and turn exactly the same. No surprise here, because they have the same dimensions and similar construction.

2. The KERS behavior turns on over a speed range from about 15-25 mph. If the ski is bent and you (or a terrain feature) give a hint of releasing the ski, the skis "push" your feet up out of the turn. This keeps the turn from lingering as with the old Supershapes. Up until the release, it's similar to the old ski. The "push" is not destiny; you can overrule it. KERS is nothing to be frightened of if you could ski the old supershapes well.

Once the the cover is deep enough to put away the rock skis, you're welcome to take my 170s for a spin and see what you think. Keep your fingers crossed for US 4 and 7 and Rt 100 to be rebuilt in time for ski season.

edit: typo
ToddW

Postby arothafel » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:30 pm

Speaking of Vermont... A friend sent me this link. Even Killington had a building collapse... http://www.mansfieldheliflight.com/flood/
arothafel

Postby Skizoo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:54 pm

I've bought a few pair of skis based solely on Haralds recommendation and have not ever been disappointed. The Supershapes of course top the list. Best ski I've ever skied, period.. IM78's a close second..

As for the Vermont roads, right now you can't get from Ludlow to Killington (Killington about 15 miles northwest) On 100 north out of Ludlow you can only get as far as Hawk resort. You can get to Rutland on 103 but RT4 is still closed to all but emergency and authorized vehicles from Menden.

I am pretty confident travel will be generally OK by winter, but there could still be a number of detours, as it's hard to lay asphalt after early November, but I think chances are good for many of the major roads to be open by late October if the weather cooperates, though many may be temp fixes. First the rain has to stop.
Skizoo

Postby brendonc » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:30 pm

Is anyone able to shed any light on the differences between the 2011 and 2012 Supershapes?

Was trying to get some 2011's, but cant find anyone with any stock :(
brendonc

Postby Skizoo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:35 pm

brendonc wrote:Is anyone able to shed any light on the differences between the 2011 and 2012 Supershapes?

Was trying to get some 2011's, but cant find anyone with any stock :(

try here..
http://www.forerunnerskishop.com/SaleIt ... fault.aspx

They seem to have some stock from last year left..
Skizoo

Postby brendonc » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:49 pm

Thanks Skizoo - tried Forerunner, but think they are closed at the moment. Not sure if its because its summer, or because its flooded there...
brendonc

Postby Skizoo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:58 am

brendonc wrote:Thanks Skizoo - tried Forerunner, but think they are closed at the moment. Not sure if its because its summer, or because its flooded there...

It's the flood, I'd keep trying them. The businesses in Killington for the most part are open or able to open... getting the employees and staff to those businesses is the hard part.
Skizoo

Postby ToddW » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:13 pm

The owner of Forerunner summers in New York state. Don't expect a reply until around Columbus Day when the sales start ... especially since only local town residents are allowed in right now during the 2 hour daily traffic window (or not at all with the current rain.)
ToddW

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System