Skiers responsibilty code

PMTS Forum

Skiers responsibilty code

Postby The Big Show » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:13 am

Yesterday I was almost hit (some out there are probably going damn, I wish they'd have got him!). Had the guy hit me, he would have hurt me bad.

I chased him down and caught him -- called the ski patrol. From there, I proceeded to scream at him. It ruined my day.

Please everyone, pay attention. In Colorado, if you hit someone you're going to jail. Not only that, the victim can file a civil suit against you. So if you hit someone from behind, for whatever reason, you're going to jail. And, you'll pay the victim for the rest of your life.

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT'S IN FRONT OF YOU AND THE DOWNHILL SKIER HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY.

If you're not sure or you don't believe me, stop and ask the ski patrol.

I'm all for militant action on the slopes. If people can't abide by the one simple rule of the hill, they better be prepared for battle. Because I know in my case, I'm coming after anyone that breaks the rule. I love the mountains, I want to ski safely. If war is what it's going to come to, then war is what the bastards will get.

Be cool,
The Big Show

Postby piggyslayer » Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:46 am

If Colorado is bad, think what do I get on the East Coast in driving distance from NY.

I was hit by a snowboarder last year in Stratton,VT (on Monday). Fortunately, no injury has resulted from this collision.
My wife reported him to ski patrol and they have done nothing.

During my last trip to Hunter (NY state) I stopped an out of control skier who almost run me over and crashed into a skier in front of me. He had no business being on a black run.

By far the worst experience I had was (surprisingly) in Snowbird (not a driving distance from NY unless you really like driving). We where on a connecting narrow trail with a 5-6 ft snow bank on one side and a fence on the other with sign "No Jumping". Picture snowboarders jumping getting air on the snow bank and flying above the fence and the ?No Jumping? sign one after another. People on the trail had no way of seeing snowboarders approaching the snow bank (the same way snowboarders could not see anyone on the trail). Talk about a chance of being decapitated when skiing!
We notified Ski Patrol (and there was quite a number of us informing ski patrol) and they took a note and have done nothing.

piggyslayer
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

education only solution

Postby h.harb » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:34 pm

This is not a snowboarder vs. skier issue, it is an educational one. I have seen both snowboarders and skiers disrespect the skier code. The most prevalent crime on the slopes is the disregard for the skier below.

The ski areas have to make a point of displaying the code on big letter signs, possibly on the lift towers, as well as other places. The first and most prevalent sign should have the code that says,? The skier or boarder below on the slope has the right of way. If you run into that skier or buzz them you will be removed and or prosecuted to the full letter of the law.

I have seen too many accidents caused by out of control skiers and boarders. Also, the skiers and boarders that insist on skiing too close to skiers below them, as they pass are a real problem.

When I question a snow rider after an incident, they mostly say that the snow rider below them, that they ran into was in their way. This is clearly a misunderstanding or ignorance of their skills and of the skier code.
h.harb

Postby piggyslayer » Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:12 pm

Sorry if my post sounded like snowboarder bashing.
I listed 3 recent incidents one involving a skier 2 involving snowboarders, have not intended it to imply anything about safety of one sport vs. the other.
I simply wish ski patrol and ski areas did more about safety.
Laws without enforcement are not worth much.

R.
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Learning from golf...?

Postby tommy » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:00 pm

Each year, during my limited alpine skiing experience, I've seen more and more "close calls" on the slopes. very many people ride far beyond their skill level, too fast, with too little margin. Yes, snowboarders are frequently causing these close calls, but also many skiers do.

When purchasing a ski pass at the Swedish resorts, there are posts stating that "everyone on the slopes should know about the "traffic rules", but I suspect most people don't, or maybe don't care. And ski patrol seems to be happy as long as no fatal accidents happen.

Maybe it's time for the "sliding industry" to do what golf has done years ago: in order to "play", you first have to pass an exam (green card), to verify that you know the fundamentals about how to behave on the field of the game.

Thoughts ?

--Tommy
tommy

It's all about the Benjamins $$$

Postby Patroller » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:12 pm

Note from a Patroller.

The local laws vary from county to county and state to state. 10 yrs ago "the public" complained the the enforcement was too much "ski nazis" they called us. As recently as this season we were turning away boarders without runaway devices, (leash) sending them to the sports shop. When a number of customers complained that they purchased tickets and they or their kids couldn't go out, the mgmt buckled and the Patrol was instructed "not to enforce" the manditory leash "rule" not "law". It is #5 in the responsibility code. This is an industry standard NSAA. The Company was clearly concerned about "scaring away, what? The Benjamins"

Bottom line; I have conveyed to you the impact of complaining to "management" not the Patrol. The Patrol enforces the standards of the resort, some more ridgid, some more relaxed. You and I as "Paying Skiers" dictate the climate of the resorts we patronize with our feedback and our wallets. If they think that you will take your $$ benjamins elsewhere then they will modify their standards. (I skied the last "Skiing Only" season in Aspen. Think it was 2002. They had to give in to snowboarding) You don't think that was a congressional mandate? ($$$)The "boarders vote with their wallets. They are the first to come out in the season, they ride in the pouring rain, and the last to call it "a season."
Ok, get mad and frustrated and on you way out, stop by the guest services desk and let them know how you feel or send a letter or an email to the Gen. Mgr or the Safty Director.
I am not suggesting that people should get hit or hurt, just thought i would tell you that you have a "vote" Now go and use it!

Patroller
Patroller

Re: Skiers responsibilty code

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:29 pm

The Big Show wrote:So if you hit someone from behind, for whatever reason, you're going to jail. And, you'll pay the victim for the rest of your life.

Wow. You are a militant sort. I'd doubt that just any collision of the sort you describe is going to escalate into someone going to jail. Jail is more of a last resort for the most egregious and injurious of circumstances.

Re: Skiers responsibilty code

Postby gravity » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:36 pm

The Big Show wrote:I chased him down and caught him -- called the ski patrol. From there, I proceeded to scream at him. It ruined my day.

I'm all for militant action on the slopes. If people can't abide by the one simple rule of the hill, they better be prepared for battle. Because I know in my case, I'm coming after anyone that breaks the rule. I love the mountains, I want to ski safely. If war is what it's going to come to, then war is what the bastards will get.

Be cool,

Wait! You're telling US to be cool? First you chased the offender. I'm imagining a red hot ill tempered man skiing way too fast for the purpose of catching a guy who almost hit him. Then you proceed to scream at him. I think you're dangerous because you chased him. You shouldn't chase anyone because invariably it's going to create an even more dangerous circumstance. Second, you choose to scream instead of educate. Education is the key in erradicating this problem of riders not knowing and/or understanding the skier responsibility code.
gravity

Now this is enforcement !

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:03 pm

#1)Glenwood Springs, Colo., August 15, 2003--Twenty-year-old Michael Wolff, a snowboarder who rammed into a class of five- and six-year-old skiers at Sunlight Ski Area in mid-March, received a 240-day sentence for the injuries he inflicted on two of the children. The sentence is the greatest penalty meted out in a Colorado ski slope accident.

Wolff, who was drunk at the time of the incident, also received three-years' alcohol-free probation, and must pay restitution of $9,300 to the two children he injured, as well as court costs. He must write letters of apology to the children, also.

Wolff pleaded guilty to one count of child abuse causing serious bodily injury due to negligence and one count of reckless injury involving child abuse. His sentence nearly triples the 90-day term of Nathan Hall, who was found guilty of criminally negligent homicide stemming from a 1997 collision.

#2) Skier takes own action

A Texas woman is suing an Illinois man whom she claims collided with her at Snowmass Ski Area in February 2002, according to an article in the Aspen Times.

Carolyn McBeth of Richardson, Texas, claims she suffered serious and permanent injuries in the accident, in which snowboarder Matthew Kyle allegedly struck McBeth in the side of the head with his snowboard while he was airborne after launching from a blind jump. McBeth was wearing a helmet, but was knocked unconscious nonetheless. The suit claims that McBeth suffers from facial scarring, random dizzy spells, a "floater" in one eye and flashing lights in the other eye.

McBeth claims that Kyle was negligent for failing to snowboard in control and failing to avoid skiers and snowboarders. She also claims that Kyle was negligent for violating the state's Skier Safety Act and accuses him of gross negligence for knowingly snowboarding in a reckless manner.

Postby gravity » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:23 pm

...and your point is?
gravity

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System