Hold CA, by the New Boy.

PMTS Forum

Hold CA, by the New Boy.

Postby h.harb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:10 pm

This Kasper Nolan, (remember that name), a new US slalom star on the horizon. He is coached by a guy I used to coach. He won the overall Europa Cup slalom tittle, the first American to do so. He was 2nd in the last WC of the season. Look out, if you hold your counter like this, you might just make the podium.

Also, hold your arms like this and use the no swing, like this, you are on your way. Me thinks, his uphill hand, is over his little toe edge tip. Where have I heard this before?
h.harb

Re: Hold CA, by the New Boy.

Postby bogiek » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:54 am

What about his "A" frame ? Second Lindsey V.
bogiek

Postby h.harb » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:32 pm

This is not an "A" frame it's well after the loaded ski phase, during the release. This is the transition, sometimes if the feet are wider than the hips in flexion and transition it can look like an "A" frame.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:08 pm

Here you can see from Nolan's skiing that he's not knocked kneed, if anything he's the opposite.
In some turns he's lazy with his inside foot tipping. This makes it look like the stance leg knee goes inside more than the inside leg knee. This is where knowing MA of racers and alignment makes the difference in evaluating skiing.

ImageImageImage
h.harb

Postby HighAngles » Mon May 02, 2011 5:54 am

Here is his entire run (and a couple others from the race):

The conversation on Epic is about how Kasper Nolan's run is filled with a "ton of pivots". Really? Personally I see a ton of tipping with massive amounts of CA which leads to some very quick "unwinding". I doubt Kasper was ever thinking about actively twisting his skis around in this run.
HighAngles

Postby Max_501 » Mon May 02, 2011 6:55 am

We focus on the input and they focus on the outcome. If you try to pivot the skis you won't be able to ski a SL course like Nolan.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Mon May 02, 2011 7:01 am

It doesn't really matter what Epic says because they are always wrong.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Mon May 02, 2011 7:18 am

If you look back at the slow motion section of Kasper's run, you'll see what I've been talking to some of you about. He is totally long legged at the apex, but as the ski tip hooks under the gate he flexes more and increases the tipping angle. To be able to add this level of tipping, you have to give in, bend or flex the legs slightly. This reduces some pressure on the skis and allows you to add tipping. The added tipping engages more side cut and there sharpens the bottom of the arc. This has been one of the unwritten secrets of short turn carving for some time, but it requires that your total technique is solid before you can even think of adding this component to your skiing. Another PMTS jewel to add to the skiing repertoire.
h.harb

Postby cheesehead » Mon May 02, 2011 8:55 am

(the usual caveat about my relative inexperience)

The slow motion example is a really useful one. It would not occur to me to flex AFTER the apex as he does, and also it would not occur to me that that would increase the turning (or decrease the turning radius, whichever terminology works for you). Always great to learn about things that are not intuitively obvious.

My natural instinct would be to either skid the tails or get way in the back seat -- by EXTENDING after the apex and putting the skis down the hill. In the freeze frames I notice how far forward he is and he never does a hard edge set.

I like the air turn he does on the second turn at the top. Bode would try to rotate through and end up on his butt half the time.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby Max_501 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:31 am

cheesehead wrote:It would not occur to me to flex AFTER the apex as he does, and also it would not occur to me that that would increase the turning (or decrease the turning radius, whichever terminology works for you). Always great to learn about things that are not intuitively obvious.

Keep in mind that this is a very advanced move.
Max_501

Postby cheesehead » Mon May 02, 2011 12:28 pm

Max_501 wrote:
cheesehead wrote:It would not occur to me to flex AFTER the apex as he does, and also it would not occur to me that that would increase the turning (or decrease the turning radius, whichever terminology works for you). Always great to learn about things that are not intuitively obvious.

Keep in mind that this is a very advanced move.

Hence my caveat. I have lots of basics to develop before I can actually pull off that move like he is doing.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby h.harb » Mon May 02, 2011 2:33 pm

Above the gate, extended outside leg.
Bending to increase edge angles with tipping.

Beginning to release but really holding on to CA.

On the PMTS forum we talk about how you create world cup movements. On Epic they make sh---t up.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Mon May 02, 2011 2:45 pm

Notice how through, at least, half the arc, the outside knee is touching the inside leg or boot. This is correct stance width, for all skiing situations.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Mon May 02, 2011 2:55 pm

How long do you hold your CA. I'm sure it's not this long?

He's holding CA because he's waiting to use quick, early, tipping, with the help of the unwinding. We know that when the next arc begins, his right arm will be forward and downhill.

On the PMTS forum we talk about what is happening and what the skier is doing and about to do to get results. We don't have to make up actions that justify poor skiing, because we don't use those actions; therefore we don't have that need.
h.harb

Postby bogiek » Tue May 03, 2011 3:57 pm

Thanks Harold for the clarification .I always learn something new from posts on this forum .
bogiek

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System