Found the ideal all-round ski.

PMTS Forum

Found the ideal all-round ski.

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:28 pm

Today I skied and tested the "Jam" by "Movement". I skied the 182cm it's a 135- 84-117 shape in that length. 17 meter radius and it turns tighter carves than the Peak 78 or Monster 78. The 172 is a 16 meter turn radius and it makes even tighter turns. This will ski like a Shamon in powder, but it rocks great turns on hard groomers, and it holds on hard snow without bucking your knees.. I skied crud and it busted right through. I have a pair now and am bringing them to Europe.
h.harb

Re: Found the ideal all-round ski.

Postby geoffda » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:42 pm

What bindings did you mount? And what length?
geoffda

Postby Max_501 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:00 pm

Anyone got data on how many ski days the Movement skis last?
Max_501

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Max_501 wrote:Anyone got data on how many ski days the Movement skis last?

Probably depends on who skis on them... :P
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby HighAngles » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:41 pm

Wow - I'm really glad to hear that from Harald (kind of a reality check for my own demo'ing experience). The Movement Jam was one of my absolute favorites from the SIA show also. It's hard to find deep sidecut wider skis and the Jam certainly fills the bill. What really surprised me about the Jam was the edge grip and the dampness considering that it employs no layers of metal. It's a powerful feeling ski without feeling sluggish and heavy.

So Harald, are you going to bring this ski into your shop for next season? The only other Movement dealer in these parts is Bent Gate and they don't bring the Jam in because it's too narrow for them.
HighAngles

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:50 pm

Right now I'm skiing on the Sales Demo ski, untuned. My skis won't be available before I leave for Europe. I tuned them after skiing today, because I thought they were edge high. They should be even better now.

I'm very excited about this ski, it's as good as a Shamon in powder and much better on piste. I can lay down GS; close to even slalom arcs with my hip to the snow with this product. It's the best wide ski over 182cm I've skied yet. It beats many wide to mid wide skis in every respect, except possibly the Head 84cm , new for next season. I think it's nice to be able to narrow down the field in this category, and not look like the other dummies out there leaning and pivoting around on anything wide.

I'm not worried about longevity, this is a well made ski in Switzerland, with top notch materials, it has extra epoxy in the laminates and it's laid up with pre-preg glass, not sanded like K2 skis. They also make other models with Carbon.

The tip width is not a disadvantage on hard or soft snow. It's amazing how well it carves, almost like a Super Shape.

h.harb

Postby BKSquasher » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:36 pm

Are those next season's JAMs? when I search the web, the JAM comes up in brown with a different logo.
BKSquasher

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:55 pm

That ski looks like a winner. I mentioned in another thread I almost bought the older Movement Thunder a few seasons back - also a great ski from what I heard. I really don't think you can go wrong with their product. I rank them up there with Stockli, but they seem to have slightly more progressive/unique designed skis.

...I'd love to have an opportunity to try a pair... 8)
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Skizoo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:05 pm

BKSquasher wrote:Are those next season's JAMs? when I search the web, the JAM comes up in brown with a different logo.

I think the ski Harald has is the 11/12 model.
http://movementskispr.blogspot.com/sear ... l/Freeride
Skizoo

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:06 pm

yup
h.harb

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:37 am

Wow, that's a heck of an endorsement! I know you also liked the new head 84--how do they compare?

Also, did you ski the shorter model? I live in New England, and tend to favor a slightly short 'everyday' ski than my western skiing comrades? THough, a 182cm that turns quickly is a seductive Idea!
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby BKSquasher » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:35 am

Harald,

Do you consider this a replacement for the SS as a one quiver ski? Or is it in addition to the SS for all mountain skiing?
BKSquasher

Postby Max_501 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:55 am

HH mentions the Jam as an all around ski, or phrased differently, a ski that can be used in all conditions. Notice that he compared it to the IM78 and the IM84, skis HH really likes but doesn't suggest as a standard daily PMTS learning ski. At 82mm at the waist the Jam will still take more tipping effort than a ski with a waist in the 65-70mm range. And since most of us need to increase our tipping skills the SS and TT80 are likely the better choice for learning and perfecting PMTS movements. So, the Jam ends up being a great compliment to those skis for someone that wants to ski all over the mountain.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:39 am

Let me clear this up, you have to be a competent at carving or brushing connected short turns to make this an every day ski; as it requires speed and energy to be tipped. It's not a slow speed learning ski. It's too wide for that. So it does not replace a TT80 or Super Shape for learning purposes. Put in other words, you have to be ale to make a flexing or retraction short turn to use this ski without being forced into either huge turns or really skidded short turns. That said it is a great intro to powder skiing ski.
h.harb

Postby BKSquasher » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:16 pm

Thanks Max and Harald. What length would you recomment for a 5'8" 160 lb skier? Harald you can tell me at camp whether I am competent at carving or brushing short connected turns :P :lol:
BKSquasher

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System