Come on, Man!

Friends get together

Come on, Man!

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:52 pm

I jokingly suggested in another thread that we start a "Come on, man!" thread as a way to catalog all of the outrageous, crazy, and just plain wrong things out there on the web trying to pass as ski instruction/coaching. Feel free to post articles, images, quotes, videos... whatever you find. Some things out there are worth having their own threads to discuss the skiing or ideas presented. Others probably aren't worth the bandwidth of their own thread, so have a little light-hearted fun and post them here.

Here is my contribution - one of my all-time favorites of an example of some of the worst advice I have ever seen given by a professional coach as a way to develop skiers... http://youcanski.com/en/coaching/incline-to-win.htm

Come on, man!!!
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Re: Come on, Man!

Postby h.harb » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:07 pm

Totally agree this is horrible coaching and a terrible message to send out to skiers.

Come on, Man!
h.harb

Postby chris719 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:17 pm

Wow that first shot is gold. The whole article is funny, yes lets purposely initiate turns in an unbalanced way. How can anyone that has taken high school physics think this is a good idea. Maybe it's a good idea in a MotoGP race.
chris719

Postby h.harb » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:26 pm

Worst advice you can get! Pushing on the inside ski in the turn, you have got to be kidding me. In the fifties they knew better and more than this about skiing.

Come on, Man!
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:20 pm

This has nothing to do with transition or cross-under. Is this from the same school as the first post? This looks like a leaner with no tipping, but a locked-up, upper body, and losing balance, I'll believe many things, but this is not one of them. And the way the arms and poles are being held, the bus driver is setting up for a right angled turn.

Come on, Man! This is giving ski instruction a black eye.
h.harb

Postby MonsterMan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:19 pm

"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:47 pm

George Churchill

Psychology Assessment:

Aggression in Sport

Aggression in sport can be caused by a number of factors.The most identifiable reasons are the rules of the game (level of physical contact), frustration, instinct, presence, arousal, environmental cues, self control and also the behaviour of those around. Other factors in aggression include personality, media involvement, coaching, role models and the society we live in.The following is an insight into the term aggression in sport, using the social learning theory and environmental cues theory I will explain examples of each theory and try and contrast them.

Frustration is known to play a key role in aggression.

It's got to be my shorts, they are just too tightly wound.
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:50 pm

Bump and all-mountain skiing:

Pulled from here: http://www.weekendwarriorsguide.com/

This represents the pinnacle of modern bump skiing. :roll:

HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:59 pm

Come on, man, which part the "A" frame, the wedge or the push off.
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:29 am

The lack of carving or ski performance is probably due to a few factors:

h.harb wrote:Come on, man, which part the "A" frame, the wedge or the push off.

HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:30 am

Helluvaskier,

I know you understand this and so does Max501, being critiqued by someone you respect and is a better skier and coach, is an honor. Being critiqued by someone who doesn't have a clue, can't ski and has no credentials, is also an honor, but for him. It serves only show how idiotic the man is and how desperate he is for recognition (especially when the MA is incorrect).
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:41 am

h.harb wrote:Helluvaskier,

I know you understand this and so does Max501, being critiqued by someone you respect and is a better skier and coach, is an honor. Being critiqued by someone who doesn't have a clue, can't ski and has no credentials, is also an honor, but for him. It serves only show how idiotic the man is and how desperate he is for recognition (especially when the MA is incorrect).

Agreed (did someone send you EpicSki links again? :lol: ). That might be the ultimate "Come on, Man!"

I guess, anytime we put our skiing out there for others to learn from, there is going to be a certain amount of incorrect analysis from many different sources. I'd rather put it out there and have the opportunity to teach/inspire others and have a few critics, than not make it available to those who are using it to help them ski better.

HeluvaSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:32 pm

Has anyone posted the Sofa Ski School vids in this thread yet? :shock:

HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:10 pm

I guess, anytime we put our skiing out there for others to learn from, there is going to be a certain amount of incorrect analysis from many different sources. I'd rather put it out there and have the opportunity to teach/inspire others and have a few critics, than not make it available to those who are using it to help them ski better.

Exactly, anyone with a brain can see the difference in quality between what I put up and what the Epic or the rest of the ski instruction crowd puts up on You Tube. I never give what the Epic guys say about what I put up a second thought. None of them can ski like that, yet many would like to say, how it's incorrect. I say, to them, stay where you are, while all PMTS skiers go blazing by you.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:12 pm

No Sofa Ski yet, and no Mount Vacation either, that stuff is early bad.
h.harb

Next

Return to Social Chatting