Ski Logik Skis

PMTS Forum

Ski Logik Skis

Postby patprof » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:18 pm

Are not the Ski Logik skis reviewed by Peter the most beautiful you've ever seen? The ratings given to several of the models are pretty impressive also!
"I can't dance and I can't fly-but when I ski I can sometimes do both!"
Author Unknown
patprof

Re: Ski Logik Skis

Postby Skizoo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:00 pm

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. Personally, I prefer a more traditional look, but Peter's testers sure seem to like 'em.
Skizoo

Postby ginaliam » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:34 pm

word is, Peter Himself loves them.

Those reviews have certainly created a buzz around these skis.

FWIW I think my icelantics are pretty eye-ctaching!
ginaliam

Postby jbotti » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:17 pm

I will be demoing these skis when I ski with Harald in early November. It will most likley be on hard man made snow (unless we get really lucky) but it should be enough to get some sense of them. Ski Logiks HQ is in Breckenridge and Dave the owner will make skis available for demo all over Summit County. This could be a PMTS powder ski. The tight TR is what attracts me to it. I will get Harald on them and we can also see what he thinks.

I will report back after I ski them.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Max_501 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:35 pm

These sound very interesting for deeper off piste conditions. Would like to do a head to head comparison with the Icelantic Shaman.
Max_501

Postby richk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:35 pm

has anyone been on these?
richk

Postby HighAngles » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:41 pm

I've been on the Rave, Ullr's Chariot, and the Howitzer.

The construction yields a somewhat heavy feeling ski that unfortunately doesn't end up translating into stability. I felt like all of the Ski Logiks were quite susceptible to being easily bounced around by the terrain. They don't provide that confidence inspiring "glued to mountain" kind of edge grip that I favor. There was no fresh snow the day I tested them so I can't report on anything, but their groomer performance.

Overall I felt they were competent skis, but not fantastic skis. There are many other skis I would choose long before any of these. If you would like additional detail I would be happy to provide it (I took notes during my demos, but don't have them handy at the moment).
HighAngles

Postby Skizoo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:34 pm

I skied a pair of the chariot's this afternoon. Conditions were skied off 4" fresh on top of hard pack.. My impressions are somewhat similar to High Angles on the hard pack grommers, they felt sluggish, and heavy to me. Granted my legs were tiring at this point.

I was able to get them in to some softer snow on the sides of a few trails and they were a lot more fun there. But compared to my Icelantic Nomads, they did not make as strong a first impression. My first impressions of the Nomads were they were just a lot of fun and quite nimble for their size.

I'd like to ski the Chariots again with conditions that are more favorable. I certainly was not overwhelmed, but first impressions are not always the lasting impression.
Skizoo

Postby ginaliam » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:11 am

Skizoo,

which iteration of the Nomad do you ski?

I have the 181 Nomad SFt-for deeper days only-and spring slush (and in it's element-it's a great, fun ski).

I was interested in the Ullr Chariot (solely because pf peter Keelty's review as a more versatile big ski)-but you didn't get that happy feeling with them, huh?

Liam
ginaliam

Postby HighAngles » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:56 pm

I have skied the Nomad non-SFT and if you like that ski it is my opinion that you would not like the Chariot. They are worlds apart.
HighAngles

Postby gandalf » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:20 pm

-
Last edited by gandalf on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
gandalf

Postby ginaliam » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:24 pm

Well the Nomad is a very particular ski-and I do like it a lot.

But I like all kinds of skis,

is the Ullr Chariot similar to the Shaman then??
ginaliam

Postby Skizoo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:43 pm

ginaliam wrote:Skizoo,

which iteration of the Nomad do you ski?

I have the 181 Nomad SFt-for deeper days only-and spring slush (and in it's element-it's a great, fun ski).

I was interested in the Ullr Chariot (solely because pf peter Keelty's review as a more versatile big ski)-but you didn't get that happy feeling with them, huh?

Liam

Liam, I have the regular non SFT nomad..
Skizoo

Postby HighAngles » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:47 am

ginaliam wrote:is the Ullr Chariot similar to the Shaman then??

Not even close IMO. Talk about a "particular" ski - that's the Shaman by definition. There really isn't ANYTHING out there quite like the Shaman.

The Chariot is a very typical somewhat stiff twin tip. It's fairly thick through the middle and into the tips/tails - this isn't a low profile ski. I believe that's where the weight is coming from even though they do say they use carbon in the construction.

It's my opinion that we need to let this one "mature". This is Ski Logik's first year of production skis. Even though there's plenty of experience in the company in producing skis for many years, these are all still new designs coming out of a new factory. Let it bake - it ain't done yet. :mrgreen:
HighAngles

Postby HighAngles » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:49 am

gandalf wrote:I bought a pair of the Ullr's Chariots in the 178 length based on the RealSkiers review and some email exchanges with Peter. Had my name embossed on the tail for an extra $50 because I was concerned about them walking away.

I just got back from 4 days in Colorado and I REALLY love the skis. I spend my ski time about 50/50 on and off piste and wanted a ski that gave me more float in soft snow and in the trees without sacrificing too much on the groomed slopes. I got lucky, because they do very well on groomed slopes (but they require some speed to come alive and they require effort to get up on edge -- hope that's not a suprise) but they really excel on the soft snow and the soft snow later in the day as it gets skied out. The feel of the Ullr's Chariot on the groomed is similar to my SuperShape Magnums, but the Magnums are much easier to tip and to initiate the turn. HOld and stability on edge has a similar feel.

On the soft snow (especially soft snow that's been skied up a bit) and in the trees they become real winners. Bottom line, they made me a MUCH better skier. Stability and float in the soft snow is day and night better than the ski they replaced (Watea 84) and I was pretty pleased with them. They are stable and supple, never feel stiff on the soft surfaces. Turning is just a tip and go operation.

If you are looking for a solid 50/50 ski biased towards the soft snow, then the UC deserves a demo. If you want a powder ski then there are better. If you want an on-piste ski there are better. One man's opinion, but I am still amazed at how much better this ski made me. In the soft snow it sucked better turns and technique out of me!! (and did I mention that some other people did notice and comment on the looks).

Gandalf - I don't want to knock you until you have a chance to fill us in on your experience on other skis. Your post sounds like the typical reaction of someone who has NOT skied a lot of bigger skis. So please fill us in on what you have skied and what your experience has been before getting on the Chariots.
HighAngles

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System